PDA

View Full Version : short throw shifter Q's

Maleek
01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I searched through other threads and couldnt find what i was looking for so here goes. Anybody running an ebay short shifter? Hows the length difference at the top, compared to stock? Are your throws significantly reduced? (btw: i know i shouldnt be expecting much from ebay, so please dont come in this thread and tell me i should have bought from somebody else) Thanks alot

tuner4life
01-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I just cut mine down about 1" above the upper bend in the stock shifter. You have to get an aftermarket knob though unless you thread it. I know its rigged, but it works good and it's cheap. :bigthumbu

Maleek
01-23-2008, 11:39 PM
not what I was asking, but ill keep this in mind if this shifter breaks or something. nice car btw vogtland springs FTW!

keep the answers coming guys

Frenchy
01-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Mine was longer at top....

(is THAT what you are looking for?)

Cut it and weld it, before you install, though...

Maleek
01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
actually yes it was lol. How much did you chop off? Did you just cut off the threads, cut off a peice of the shifter, and weld the threads back on? I heard of guys welding in that extra peice they cut out in the bottom, to make the shorter shifts well..even shorter. Im scared of doing that though, i dont want my shifts to be notchy.

Murgatroy
01-24-2008, 08:16 AM
I have an eBay shifter in my 4th Gen, it was a Corolla shifter, was used in a 5th Gen GT-S, then made it's way into Mudhoney. It was bent by the previous owner (Grayscale) to a better angle. It is the same height as my stock shifter, but the throws are much shorter.

I wouldn't suggest adding length to the bottom of an aftermarket short shifter, you will run into clearance issues.

wizzards581
01-24-2008, 05:07 PM
i have a 6th gen in my 5th gen. i had to pound down the chasis to clear the shifts. after driving with a TWM, i think im going to buy a TWM. its more worth in my opinion. but go with watevers cheap for you.

Corey Darling
01-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Simply cutting the top of the shifter shorter doesnt do much, except make it harder to move the stick around.

Its the combination of lengthing the bottom portion, and shortening the top which yeild the best result.

Ofcoarse, by lengthing the bottom, the upper shifter assembly has to be jacked up accordingly to clear the shifter tunnel. Most kits come with the hard ware you need for this.

Corey

Maleek
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I see what you guys are saying, so is it cool if i just cut a bit off the top and rethread it with a new knob? I know it will make the stick harder to move around, but its already a short throw shifter, i dont need to make it even short, i just dont like the length at the top.

wizzards581
01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I see what you guys are saying, so is it cool if i just cut a bit off the top and rethread it with a new knob? I know it will make the stick harder to move around, but its already a short throw shifter, i dont need to make it even short, i just dont like the length at the top.

it wont affect the throw. it will just look shorter.

i perfer a long shifter with a shorter throw like the B&M shifters for honda.

Maleek
02-02-2008, 06:39 PM
okay so i finally got it in the mail the other day, does anybody know what its made out of? I dont wanna cut it , and then come to find out that its aluminum or something and i just screwed myself over.

celicaGT90_05
02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
what corey and wizzards said is true, cutting the top of the shifter does nothing except move the knob down in to the boot more. I've seen it done before, a guy around here did it to his probe GT and that shifter still had a lot of travel. The idea of short shifters isnt that they are short, its that they have a short throw or movement from gear to gear. When you drive a car with an actual short shifter you'll realize cutting the top off did nothing but cause you to have to reach further. Short throw shifter some times arent much shorter than factory

Maleek
02-02-2008, 06:58 PM
yeah i realized that now. the reason i bought it in the first place was to shorten the throw, AND for the shifter itself to be shorter than factory. So now that i bought a short throw shifter all i have to do is to shorten it, so that it isnt as long as the factory one was. Thats why i was asking if anybody knew what it was made of, before i cut it and realize i cant weld it back together.

grayscale
02-03-2008, 02:47 PM
It's steel. I've never seen one made of aluminum, and if it's an ebay one they certainly wouldn't have gone through the trouble of using aluminum. If you're unsure just stick a magnet to it. Do you know how to weld?

KoreanJoey
02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I run a C'S shifter and it's the shift lever is just as long as stock (at least with the hardware raising the shifter base). However the shifts are much much shorter... this is better performance wise because it puts the shifter closer to the steering wheel (well not so much for the C'S cause it's angled the wrong way for RHD). If it's just appearance you're going for, just cut it and get a generic shift knob that uses allen keys to hold itself onto the shifter.

juggernaut
02-03-2008, 03:43 PM
if you're really nervous about what metal it is, take a magnet to it. steel is magnetic, aluminum is not.

geebes
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
TWM makes an excellent short shifter for our cars! I love mine!

Maleek
02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Good idea, i never thought of the magnet idea. I personally don't know how to weld, but my cousin's girlfriend's dad knows how to. He said he'd do it for a low low price of nothing :wiggle:

It's steel. I've never seen one made of aluminum, and if it's an ebay one they certainly wouldn't have gone through the trouble of using aluminum. If you're unsure just stick a magnet to it. Do you know how to weld?

celicaGT90_05
02-03-2008, 07:08 PM
if you're really nervous about what metal it is, take a magnet to it. steel is magnetic, aluminum is not.

Oh the power of conductivity!