PDA

View Full Version : Alarm reccomendations

Azzazzyn
01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
as the title states, I'm looking for an alarm for my newly purchased baby. I'm willing to spend around $500 installed if need be. so gimme all the ones you think are good shit.

andy
01-22-2008, 03:57 AM
ive had an auto page lcd pager alarm, had it for 4 years no probs ever. good shit. only 100 or so on ebay also.

Cavanagh
01-22-2008, 04:01 AM
What did you end up purchasing? Edit your ride info Foo!

Azzazzyn
01-22-2008, 04:11 AM
What did you end up purchasing? Edit your ride info Foo!
fixed, now reccomend an alarm or gtfo

Slider
01-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Whatever you get, get something with a pager and a backup battery is a must. Viper has a pretty nice system with a pager you can probably get it for $200 on ebay.

grayscale
01-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Anything made by DEI seems to be great-Viper, Hornet, etc. I bought a Hornet a couple of years ago and it's been perfect. What is your main reason for the alarm? Breakins? Or theft of the whole car?

KoreanJoey
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Hrmm... been thinking about hooking up an alarm but it all depends on if I get myself a daily driver or not... if I do, then no... celi is getting stripped, caged and thrown into prepared class to fend for herself... if not.. then maybe.

celicaGT90_05
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I have a pretty good alarm on my ranger, I bought it off an ebay seller who is great with customer service. It's not bad at all, has plenty of nice features, and he has plenty more models available. The one issue I seem to have with it though is that my amber lights dont flash anymore when arming and disarming, but I dont know if thats just a connection error or the alarm, and at either rate its not a big deal

grayscale
01-22-2008, 11:01 AM
^Never been able to get mine to flash for some reason.

celicaGT90_05
01-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I should say, not flash at all lol I did notice I dont hear anymore clicking, so my guess is they are relay controlled and the coil fried up, though I did just do some rewiring and secured connections more, but havent been able to test it yet since then. I'm not worried about it though, I plan to upgrade it down the road when I am redoing the interior. Or I might just remove it if I have a good solid garage to keep it in

I got that alarm, plus a motion sensor, came with shock sensor, and a barrier sensor plus a window roll up module (rolls up windows when alarm is activated) plus a power window conversion for about....I think it was $210. Everything has worked just fine, but never got around to wiring in the module, might sell it actually, and the barrier sensor acts up when close to metal so I dont use it. The motion and shock sensor work great though, so do the power windows

Azzazzyn
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Anything made by DEI seems to be great-Viper, Hornet, etc. I bought a Hornet a couple of years ago and it's been perfect. What is your main reason for the alarm? Breakins? Or theft of the whole car?
last julyish the car got broken into, trashed the dash and stole the intake. I'm just wanting to prevent even the thought of theft, vandalism etc. the worst part about last years break in was the window they decided to shatter. I mean canon, you saw my POS, i had stuff done to it, but there was like 3k worth of body damage to it lol. they still tore it a new one. this new car though, not taking any chances.

Slider
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
If you're afraid of someone driving off with your car, try this: http://www.alphalock.com/ and some security lug nuts. Ultimately if someone really wants your car they will just tow it, there's no avoiding it. It's nice to have layers of security that will scare away the amateurs thieves.

grayscale
01-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I've never considered an alarm a theft deterrent. Until they set your alarm off it's useless. It's more for when the alarm goes off they are supposed to drop what they are doing and run. 1st problem with this-damage to your vehicle is already done. Granted, it may have helped you in that your car would have taken as much of a beating, but that leads me to the next problem. About a month ago my dad's suv was broken into by two guys. Dad was inside restaurant, car was in parking lot, Dad heard alarm go off and went outside. Even though the alarm was going off the two guys were still grabbin stuff, and as a matter of fact my Dad said they didn't cut and run until he was about 200ft. from them and they saw him coming the whole time. Thieves these days pretty much assume everybody has an alarm and they are ready for it, whether they can get around or just plain don't care. I think an alarm gives us some false peace of mind more than anything else.
Now there is one thing I do like about my alarm- even though they say I'm not supposed to have it, because it's a remote starter on a manual trans. Because of the way the remote start is wired in, the car has an automatic kill if the brake pedal is pushed and the key isn't in the ignition- so, no one can steal me car unless, as it was pointed out, they tow. Though I don't think anyone will go through that kind of trouble for my heap.
Anyway, I know how you feel, and having the alarm does make me feel better for the simple fact that the results could be much worse if I didn't have one.

Azzazzyn
01-22-2008, 11:34 PM
well, the car was broken into right outside of my apartment, and I know it was young kids that did it. one guy came forward about a week later and said he saw them, he came out around 5 am to take his wife to work and they scattered, which would explain how they got the intake and only half of the stereo. I have the feeling that they knew through seeing me day in and day out, and no alarm activated when i parked it. i was living there for 6 months before it happened. the alarm will give me a false sense of security, but atleast it will give me something.

Slider
01-23-2008, 02:38 AM
Because of the way the remote start is wired in, the car has an automatic kill if the brake pedal is pushed and the key isn't in the ignition- so, no one can steal me car unless, as it was pointed out, they tow.

Or if the person just drives away without hitting the brake. :lolhittin

But yeah alarms can be bypassed easily by an average thief, it's just a little more effort from the thief. That's why I would suggest to at least get another siren that's hidden and a backup battery. The pager is a must. With a regular alarm, all a thief has to do is pop the hood open and unhook your battery, the alarm will go off for a few seconds and then the thief can just disable it from the inside and then hook the battery back up.

geebes
01-23-2008, 06:10 AM
I got a compustar alarm, its pretty sweet. I can arm it from up to a mile away...if I needed to for some reason...and it tells me if shit is happening too.

grayscale
01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Or if the person just drives away without hitting the brake. :lolhittin

But yeah alarms can be bypassed easily by an average thief, it's just a little more effort from the thief. That's why I would suggest to at least get another siren that's hidden and a backup battery. The pager is a must. With a regular alarm, all a thief has to do is pop the hood open and unhook your battery, the alarm will go off for a few seconds and then the thief can just disable it from the inside and then hook the battery back up.
It's pretty much habit to touch the brake when releasing the ebrake for most everybody, but I suppose it could happen. My alarm happens to be hooked to the hood so that helps there if the hood is popped it goes off. I also have my battery in the back so he would find no help under the hood. Not really sure if the second horn is necessary. Just hide the one horn and run it off another battery all together, don't imagine you'd need much of a battery for it either. I've always wondered about the pagers. Is that just in case you're some where you couldn't here the alarm? I've never really been that far from my car except for a movie theater I guess.

Slider
01-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah the backup battery isn't big at all. The pager is just for as you stated when you're not close by your car.

Theft doesn't seem to be big of a problem in the Celica community, but it's always better to be safe then sorry. Honda and Integra communities get hit bad, every week there's at least one thread on each forum about a car stolen. The New York forum even has a seperate subsection for it.

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
I never troll honda forums.

However, here in my town at the Bremen Car Quest, one of the owners is heavily into stereos and mobile electronics and set up half the store dedicated to it. He can install a good alarm with keyless entry for $105 with the remote and all hardware.

Azzazzyn
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
the 240 community has theft problems, mostly on the west coast though, shit one guy posted that his car got broken into by another 240 owner, as he came out to his car, the other guy hopped in his own car and took off. when assessing the damage, he found that the guy stole his heat vents

donteatbugs
01-25-2008, 01:48 AM
i have a dei valet. its not an alarm but its nice. it has the remote start and started kill. ive never had a problem with it and the remote is small, which is what i like. plus it has a turbo timer feature. and even if someone drives your car off while its running without hitting the brake they will have to disable the steering lock or they will crash. (ask me how i know)

lburner
02-08-2008, 12:45 AM
whatever u get just get something with a 2way. and make sure the range is more then 900 - 1000 feet cause its never what they say it is. i have always used clifford but everyone that i know and come across seam to have compustar. here u go http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/557798177.html