PDA

View Full Version : Dr Tweak's Grand Tour of America

Dr Tweak
01-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Well, I've decided that this spring, around May, I will be taking a tour of the entire country. Leaving from GA, I will travel north all the way up the east coast (into Canada), across to at least Montana (possibly all the way to Washington), and then down, Colorado, Arizona, etc, then back across the southern US through Texas all the way back to GA.

The reason that I'm bringing it up here is that I would really love to stop in and meet some of the many great people that I've met on the forums over the last 6+ years. For that matter, I've also been considering packing up my tools and bringing them along in case anyone wants me to make a "house call" while along the way.

So, if you're interested in getting together just to meet and hang out or to get some work done, post here in this thread so I can start finalizing my route a little more!

As I go along I'm going to take a lot of pics especially of us getting together with fellow Toyota owners, and I'm going to try to start and update a thread as I go around the country... :D

-Doc

Stinger
01-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Thats awesome mate, im doing the same but im from down under - we should be travel buddies :bigthumbu . Ive been here since May 2007 and will be leaving around September.

Im in Vancouver, Canada at the moment but heading back into the U.S in a couple of months :)

Carolina91GT-S
01-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Let me know when you are coming through Carolina. We'll have some pulled pork BBQ, hush puppies, and sweet tea.

Dr Tweak
01-22-2008, 01:51 AM
That's cool, did you go through GA?

Hush puppies!? OH NO! LOL

We will hang out, and remind me to tell you my hush puppy story. :D

-Doc

grayscale
01-22-2008, 02:20 AM
You need to swing by TN in April as there will be a large group of us there for the annual Dragon Meet.

DarkSideCelica
01-22-2008, 02:23 AM
oh my... i might just hit u up to do my 3sgte swap :D

4thgenceli
01-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Let me know when you're gonna be in hell :) I think I'm a lone ranger out here... maybe 2 more peeps here, but I dunno

donteatbugs
01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
you can catch the alabama crew on your way home. were always up for a meet and greet.

Sean
01-23-2008, 12:47 AM
If you get out to Oregon/Washington, looking forward to meeting you.

Luni
01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
If youre coming to or around Utah hit me up f00.

geebes
01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Let me know if you'll be in eastern Washington!

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Northern Indiana here. Let me know. You could come see Notre Dame

lol

Dr Tweak
01-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Awesome guys, I will start putting a list together and get all of you on it! :)

-Doc

burnyd
01-23-2008, 03:46 AM
come to pittsburgh and pimp my auto ill let you have my gf for the night!

haha if you come to western pa it would be nice to chat!

nyana107
01-23-2008, 03:56 AM
it'll be nice to meet the legendary Dr. tweak. let me know when you're in texas :bigthumbu

Murgatroy
01-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Swing through Knoxvegas and I will make sure we can do something.

You could try to make it through in April and we are gonna run the Dragon, it is a yearly thing, lots of folks coming.

Hiko
01-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Depending on my schedule in May and when you're planning on coming through Colorado, I might be able to meet up with you. Colorado has a pretty good showing of people as well, so even if I couldn't go, might be feasible to get a decent sized group together.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
01-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Let me know when you are coming through Carolina. We'll have some pulled pork BBQ, hush puppies, and sweet tea.

Amen to those food items :-)!!..o ya, and sweet tea, cant forget about that wonder.

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Murg, I love how you call Kville Knoxvegas. Where's that from?

If you decide to come hit up South Bend, make sure to see ND. Yes, its just a college, but it really is a breath taking campus. I work there during the summer in landscaping and the views make it worth working there every day.

Sampling Amish food really isn't that special. People go to Amish Acres in Nappanee from all over the world. Its normal shit like fried chicken, beef and noodles, and other stuff. Its nothing more than standard American cuisine served by greedy and rude people who try to play the caring person card.

wrongboy
01-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I know we in Chicago would buy you a true Hot Dog, celery salt and all! Keep us updated!

-wrongboy

Dr Tweak
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Alright here is the initial list, feel free to correct/add to it. I will say right up-front that I will not be able to make it to see EVERYONE, so if you get missed, don't feel bad. :)

Maryland/DC:
insaneintenti0n (tercelonline)
rjoe (tercelonline) *work on tercel
alfradio (tercelonline)
lilbit01 (trdforums)
MD4e

PA:
95st-celica (6gc) Philadelphia
burnyd (celicatech) Pittsburgh

Montreal:
Loki_V2 (tercelonline)

Toronto:
Gizmo (tercelonline)
Valo6 (6GC)
Anth505 (supramania)
rayray1 (trdforums)
REN69 (toyotanation)

Washington State:
kennymp3 (tercelonline) Vancouver
pimptrizkit (supramania) Vancouver
CorollaBest (trdforums)
Sean (celicatech)
geebes (celicatech) Spokane

Mass:
Tercel Drifter (tercelonline) Boston
Heavy_D (tercelonline) Worcester
x_itchy_b_x (6gc) Boston

Louisiana:
MadCat (tercelonline) Denham Springs
draenor (tercelonline)

New Jersey:
dero908 (tercelonline)
Rolla95 (trdforums) Deptford

Montana:
Red Hawk (tercelonline) Fargo *install clutch

Texas:
Havok1997GT (6gc) Houston
My2Celi (6gc) Arlington
death (6gc) *Fix speedo problem
MKIIINA (supramania) DFW
ARES (trdforums) Houston
Trouble (club4ag) Austin
cribbj (lextreme) Houston *Wiring harness work on 1UZ/Supra
nyana107 (celicatech) Dallas

Illinois:
Celicam8 (6gc)
wrongboy (celicatech) Chicago

SOCAL:
xs94st (6gc)
j0e_p3t (6gc)

California:
livingtheword777 (club4ag)

North/South Carolina:
illneversellmycelli (6gc) Statesville
Carolina91GT-S

Alabama:
The1 (supramania) Montgomery
donteatbugs (celicatech) Monroeville

Indiana:
Clueless (supramania) Columbus
VikingJZ (celicatech) northern Indiana

Vancouver, BC:
JustinGotA1j (supramania)

New Mexico:
zachm611 (supramania) Alamogordo
SW20Boost (club4ag)

Kentucky:
st2b (supramania)

Alberta Canada:
Keros (supramania) Calgary

New York:
vibebreaker (trdforums) NYC *auto/manual conversion, intake manifold, etc

Colorado:
MovieSTAR (trdforums) Denver
Hiko (celicatech) Boulder

Arizona:
n0c3lt (celicatech) Phoenix

Utah:
Luni (celicatech)

Tennessee:
Murgatroy (celicatech) Knoxville

DarkSideCelica
01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
my name is not on there :(

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
That would be cool if you came up here.

I could show you my 1972.

extremeskillz
01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
You'll be up in Mass! maybe if your in the area of RHode Island i probably be able to meet up with you. Maybe me, alltracman, and rialltrac could all go at the same time. I would have to contact these guys.

Dr Tweak
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
my name is not on there :(

I need your location! :)

nyana107
01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
for these house calls... how much ya charging?
i'm kinda interested in an auto-manual swap also :wiggle:

Dr Tweak
01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Depends on what you have in mind. Shoot me an email and we'll go over it. drtweak@phoenixtuning.com

-Doc

DAVAGOGO
01-23-2008, 11:07 PM
As long as you'll be going right through my back yard I'm up for meeting up, I live right near I-95 in RI. near Providence. I put over 10k miles on the beams since the swap. Still runs great. I still have the (tweaked) decals on the rear windows.

tuner4life
01-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Count me in too, I'm in northern IN just down the road from VikingJZ.

CriScO
01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
If the Colorado people want to meet in a central location, you're welcome to come to my store in Golden. That's between Denver and Boulder, at least. Let me know if anyone wants to set that up, e-mail fathercrisco@aol.com.

wizzards581
01-24-2008, 05:02 PM
North Cal?? ill bring my beer bong along too...

Dlux4life
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey Tweak-

I had a garage all set up to finish up the swap and the last minute issues with my car. If your taking a trip to the NH area, I would love to have you finish the last fiew things with my car.

Please let me know if this is something that you might be interested in.

PM me if you want!!

VikingJZ
01-24-2008, 10:03 PM
If you go to Chicago to see Slider or other members, let me know and I might drive up there and meet you guys if you aren't in the Northern IN area.

burnyd
01-24-2008, 11:25 PM
hoyl crap dude thats a hell of a list!!!!

donteatbugs
01-25-2008, 01:39 AM
i think hes gonna meet the most people from this forum ever.

remushair
01-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm in Oregon, so if you make it this far, I'd like to have a meet with some of the locals from this forum as well as other locals who are Toyota fans! And Oregon and Washington are home to the best pubs and micro brews in the US! Portland has the most brew pubs per square mile than any other city in the world apparently!!!

extremeskillz
01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
^ I think im gonna visit you for the hell of it....:hehe:

remushair
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
If you like beer, let me know....just within a mile from my house are 3 of the best pubs in Oregon! The Ram, Thompson's House, and Boone's Treasury (the two latter are Mcmennimans brewerys) Full Sale, Widmer, Deschutes, Rogue, etc.

zen
01-25-2008, 10:26 PM
hey doc, if your in the socal area i could really need the help with the st215 swap.

DarkSideCelica
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I need your location! :)

socal, los angeles... how much to wire up a 3sgte swap?

Dr Tweak
01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh yes, I like beer :)

Zen, what are the details on the ST215 swap?

darkside, that conversion is $400 as long as you have both complete wiring harnesses.

-Doc

Toy_Celi
01-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh yes, I like beer :)

Zen, what are the details on the ST215 swap?

darkside, that conversion is $400 as long as you have both complete wiring harnesses.

-Doc

Your originally from Phoenix right?? Im planning on the 1MZFE swap, and i was wondering the price for you to give me a hand. Also how much is the harness from your company?

Dr Tweak
01-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Nope.

That wiring conversion is $450 plus $30 for return shipping. As for helping with the 1MZ swap, basically I'm going to charge everyone an hourly rate of $50 an hour.

-Doc

Hookecho
01-27-2008, 05:05 AM
if you're coming through jackson, mississippi then i'll meet up with you.

505celicaGT
01-27-2008, 05:42 AM
maybe if you come around~

albuquerque New Mexico

you could give me a few pointers of helpin me out with my frayed mr2t harness! my 5s harness is in my car and ill still pay if you just make a list of what goes where!!! my mechanical backround is pretty good!!!

Toy_Celi
01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Nope.

That wiring conversion is $450 plus $30 for return shipping. As for helping with the 1MZ swap, basically I'm going to charge everyone an hourly rate of $50 an hour.

-Doc

:wtf: :wtf: i dont have that kind of money...i only paid $200 for the thing, and to pay $450+$30+$50/h on top of the $2000 it costs to get the engine.......No wonder how you can afford to travel around the country to help all the CT people.....

19celica90
01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
.......No wonder how you can afford to travel around the country to help all the CT people.....
geez thats kinda f'ing insulting. You mad that a guy charges well below the labor cost to do something no other professional mechanic would do? let alone someone like tweak that has a shop that does all custom work? shit, the shop by me is called Sound Performance, 90 dollars and hour buddy, you gotta pay to play. he can afford to travel around america because he has constant business, hes loyal to cars and his trade and he enjoys working on cars. Its not his fault people come to him and pay him for a services he provides and does an amazing job for. if he has so much "money" that he can travel, its becuase he is known for produceing results

Toy_Celi
01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
geez thats kinda f'ing insulting. You mad that a guy charges well below the labor cost to do something no other professional mechanic would do? let alone someone like tweak that has a shop that does all custom work? shit, the shop by me is called Sound Performance, 90 dollars and hour buddy, you gotta pay to play. he can afford to travel around america because he has constant business, hes loyal to cars and his trade and he enjoys working on cars. Its not his fault people come to him and pay him for a services he provides and does an amazing job for. if he has so much "money" that he can travel, its becuase he is known for produceing results

I wasnt saying it as an insult, i was saying in general, out here labor like that is cheaper, my bros car was in the shop for 3 months, and we only paid $1500 for storage, and another $1000 for the engine block to be replaced (we had a spare block), he is just making good money on a good business

zen
01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
hey doc,
the engine is in, but the wiring is whats killing me. i know you wired up one of these before so i could use the help. oh, the car is being converted from an auto to manual too.

90celicaGTX
01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
comin to az!!!!!!

better huury b4 it gets hot!!!!

not lookin forward to 110

Toy_Celi
01-28-2008, 12:08 AM
comin to az!!!!!!

better huury b4 it gets hot!!!!

not lookin forward to 110

Lol 110 is the AVERAGE.....its gonna be a long HOT summer cuz the winter was cold and long.... usually the temp is about 114, up to 120 daily....

POST #110!!!!

celica9303
01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
if your interested im in toledo ohio and so is bongbbreakin would love to meet you and i want to talk with you about swaping i cant decide between the 3sgte or the beams 3sge redtop...i need more info leaning more torward the beams but not set in stone pm me if you want

Physlis
01-29-2008, 02:40 AM
Depending on when you hit Pittsburgh, I might be able to meet up there. I'll be in the area during April/May for a few weeks. After that I'll be in Utah, so I might run into you in both places.

remushair
01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
BEER and CARS!!! And it looks like there are quite a few people from the northwest on this site. Should be a nice meet if you get around here before I completly yank the car off the road. Going through a full restoration! 2 years in the making...it'll be 2010 when i return from Iraq before she really purrs!!!

4thgenceli
02-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Doc.. you already been thru AZ?

Dr Tweak
02-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Right now the trip is up in the air, I think it will happen later this year but I will keep everyone posted.

-Doc

Dr Tweak
05-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Okay guys, HUGE update. I've decided that there were way too many people and places to see in just one month of traveling around, so I've come up with a solution to the problem, which is centered around this:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/rv.jpg

That's right, this baby is sitting in my driveway RIGHT NOW. In fact, I'm selling my house and all my earthly belongings that don't fit in the RV and I'm going on the road INDEFINITELY! I'll be doing wiring conversions in the RV as I go and I might bring a tig-welder along as well to do on-site fabrication.

With this setup, I'll be able to take my time and travel around the US, get to see the country, live very simply for a while, and get to meet lots of people from the forums and from shops that I work with. So keep adding yourselves to the list, we'll be making our way around slowly but surely!

PS: Anyone want to buy a nice house in Savannah, totally renovated, fully furnished for $159k? How about a 2004 Toyota Tundra 4-door Limited? Or a '93 Lexus GS300 maybe? drtweak@phoenixtuning.com

-Doc

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-07-2008, 12:11 AM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat???????????????????!?!?!?!?! ur craaaaazzyyy dude......sounds friggin awesome tho...you should at least keep your lexus and drag it behind your new ride so you can get around and what not but anyway like i said before thats freakin crazy and awesome...that would be alotta fun just driving round the US seeing places while making money all at the same time...congrats and good luck....that whip is sweeet!!hah

donteatbugs
05-07-2008, 12:27 AM
how many 3sgtes does that thing have....lol...nice buy...i would keep a car in tow though. i hate making those late nite runs to taco bell in the rv. i hope to see you soon.

DAVAGOGO
05-07-2008, 12:57 AM
You should contact tv studios. Sound like it'd make a great reality show. Maybe someone would sponsor you. Got to hand it to you . It takes a lot of courage to do something like this. God bless you.

extremeskillz
05-07-2008, 01:43 AM
You should contact tv studios. Sound like it'd make a great reality show. Maybe someone would sponsor you. Got to hand it to you . It takes a lot of courage to do something like this. God bless you.

Concured. Tweak you seriously need to show up to this May 17th meet. I'm sure everyone would love to meet you. http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32883

If you can of course. This meet is the biggest meet by far on the east coast New england area.

CriScO
05-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Well damnit, I've been focusing on the coupe, now I've gotta get the hatchback ready for the swap! :)

Nah, there's no way I'll have the money, but make sure you stop in for a beer when you're going through Colorado! I can afford that. :)

Dlux4life
05-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Nice Tweak. I got cash and a car that still needs some things tightened up. I was actually going to swing by the shop that I was going to do the work this weekend to work through the details. No need for that now!

Look for a PM from me sometime soon.

ciento44
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
OMFG dude....

I think you're my hero.

Keep us posted as to when you'll be in the midwest so i can budget for when you'll be around. :)

I envy you so much you have no idea... :)

VikingJZ
05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah if you go to Indy in July-august keep me postedz and I'll be down at teh Benz house.

ciento44
05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah if you go to Indy in July-august keep me postedz and I'll be down at teh Benz house.

You moving in? I'm getting a house end of summer, could use another roomate that i don't hate.

spaztheweird1
05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
thats insane but so effing awesome i dont know much about you but they way every one talks you seem pretty sick ... dam wish i had the money for thats stuff i want to do lol but don't so dam but best of luck man

Dr Tweak
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments guys, be sure to sign up at http://www.phoenixtuning.com/wordpress/?page_id=10 for a visit and check that link for updates :)

-Doc

Berg
05-07-2008, 11:47 PM
If you find yourself exploring a little more of Canada and make to Calgary (I know, not on your original list of destinations) we can hang out. Make a day of it and check out the world famous town of Banff. And of course drink Canadian beer!

Cheers,
Berg

CriScO
05-08-2008, 12:06 AM
And of course drink Canadian beer!

You know Tweak, I don't think you'll have to pay for your own beer the whole time you're on the road. :)

"I'm running low, where's the nearest CTech member?!?" :D

Dr Tweak
08-03-2008, 02:33 AM
As most everyone knows, we've decided that instead of doing one massive tour of the US, we're going to be taking small trips throughout. This past week we went up through GA, TN, and NC and dropped in on a few folks. Here are a few pics.

Met up with Murg and cms-gt4 in Knoxville...

Totally out of focus pic of the three of us hanging out:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/knoxville1.jpg

cms-gt4's work in progress ST185:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/knoxville2.jpg

Stopped in to see my buddies at National Auto Warehouse:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/knoxville3.jpg

Mike's Spec Miata race car....

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/knoxville4.jpg

A Toyota 1KZ-TE on the stand...

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/knoxville5.jpg

I thought this sign was hilarious....

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/knoxville7.jpg

METDeath
08-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Murg is that picture? I don't see a straw cowboy hat!

Dr Tweak
08-03-2008, 03:31 AM
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/murg.jpg

Slider
08-03-2008, 03:53 AM
:lolhittin cool pics. So what kind of ride do you have for this tour?

Dr Tweak
08-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Using the RV in shown earlier in the thread...

Slider
08-03-2008, 04:36 AM
D'oh totally missed it even though it's on the same page. Are you going to be driving through Illinois?

cms-gt4
08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Good meeting you Tweak. Let me know next time you come thru.
Thanks for looking at the car. I got to come up with a different solution though. The ecu does not like being disconnected from the AC amplifier.

After seeing your pics, I think I can go wider with the tires. :D

Dr Tweak
08-04-2008, 02:37 AM
What's it doing?

METDeath
08-04-2008, 02:46 AM
http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/trips/murg.jpg

Nicely done, sir!

Chris
08-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Nice man. Let me know if you're ever around the Wichita area, or in the Ponca City, Okla. area. Not much you can do for either of my cars right now, no swaps, haha, but it'd be great to meet ya.

cms-gt4
08-04-2008, 06:13 AM
What's it doing?

I explain more here.
http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35311

We pulled the ACT pin to make the compressor work. The car runs poorly w/o that pin. I am not sure why. It almost acts like it pulls timing w/o that pin. I replaced it and now the car runs fine but no compressor.

If I can not find a solution I will have to resort to the trick of running an additional switch to the compressor.

Nihilist
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
DR TWEAK, yooo if u come near lock haven pa, we would deff have a cook out here, plus u might make some cash off my friend dustin, he is having some wiring problems with a RB26 in a 240sx, xDD,. TWEAK IS THE HERO!

nyana107
08-05-2008, 12:38 AM
coming through dallas anytime soon? :)
feel free to pm me. i'm still interested in the auto-manny swap if possible.

caneman
08-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Okay guys, HUGE update. I've decided that there were way too many people and places to see in just one month of traveling around, so I've come up with a solution to the problem, which is centered around this:

http://www.phoenixtuning.com/hosting/rv.jpg

Beautiful RV. How many gallons per mile (I'm almost kidding)? Seriously though, is it a toy hauler, with a garage in the rear? THAT seems like it would be perfect for your new life. Good luck to you. My wife and I are about to do the same thing, except ours will be our Mazda V-6 SUV pulling a 16 or 18 foot travel trailer AND we're keeping our home. I'm still trying to talk my wife into doing exactly what your doing; full-time RV'ing.

BTW, you haven't mentioned whether your wife and dog(s) are signed on for you travels - are they?

May all your travels be downhill, without any bumps or potholes...

Dr Tweak
08-05-2008, 03:00 AM
I explain more here.
http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35311

We pulled the ACT pin to make the compressor work. The car runs poorly w/o that pin. I am not sure why. It almost acts like it pulls timing w/o that pin. I replaced it and now the car runs fine but no compressor.

If I can not find a solution I will have to resort to the trick of running an additional switch to the compressor.

Huh, that's very strange.... I'll check the thread out.

nyana107, yes, actually we're going to be doing a trip to Texas to hit DFW and a few other places for sure, this winter.

Beautiful RV. How many gallons per mile (I'm almost kidding)? Seriously though, is it a toy hauler, with a garage in the rear? THAT seems like it would be perfect for your new life. Good luck to you. My wife and I are about to do the same thing, except ours will be our Mazda V-6 SUV pulling a 16 or 18 foot travel trailer AND we're keeping our home. I'm still trying to talk my wife into doing exactly what your doing; full-time RV'ing.

BTW, you haven't mentioned whether your wife and dog(s) are signed on for you travels - are they?

May all your travels be downhill, without any bumps or potholes...

Actually it gets about 10mpg which isn't bad for it's size. We've decided not to go fulltime in the RV for business reasons, so we're doing small trips here and there with it at this time while keeping the shop up and running here in Savannah :)

-Doc

Berg
08-05-2008, 04:52 AM
.....so does this mean no Canadian beer? That would be a real shame.

Seriously though, I hope things go well with you travels. Looking at all the posts here it looks like you could travel anywhere in North America and hook up with someone who either would like to employ your services or just hang out. That makes these adventures that much better (not to mention that you can usually get free food and/or drinks).

Let me know if you make it this far North!

Cheers,
Berg