PDA

View Full Version : Very, very frusterating day

JD_1990_GTS
01-22-2008, 01:15 AM
Alright guys.
I've only had the Celica for about a month. I went to get in it for work this morning, and found it wouldn't start. Upon opening the hood, I saw insulation torn from my under hood mat made into a nest by the air intake. A rodent has terrorized my cars electrical system. So, I came home and was able to get a better look. Car will crank and crank fine, and will sound like it WANTS to start for a sec and will then just go back to cranking. Here's the damage.

2 of the spart plug wires were chewed in half. I already relpaced those with no luck.
Three sensors where the upper radiator hose meets the engine have had their wires chewed off.
One of the sensors has a green conntector, one has a brown connector, and the other is a silver looking one above the others near the valve cover.

I know I'm going to have to have a new harness installed. My question is, could any of these things i've mentioned cause the car to NOT start? I just want to get it to a dealership to get fixed without having to call a damned tow truck.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3879/1006836jl9.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1006836jl9.jpg)

JD_1990_GTS
01-22-2008, 01:16 AM
If you click on the above image. You can see the sensors i'm talking about. The tealish one, the tan one, and the grayish one to the above left of the tan one. What are all of these and could they cause my celica to not start?
Thanks a ton in advance guys.
J

JD_1990_GTS
01-22-2008, 02:19 AM
One more question, where does the harness that goes to those three sensors connect at? I mean, does that part have a junction that plugs into a main harness? Or is that part of a HUGE *expensive* harness? Man I'm hating this. J

juggernaut
01-22-2008, 03:15 AM
pics are a little hazy but it looks like a coolant temp sensor, possibly a oil pressure sensor, and the other i dont know. ill take a look at my car and ill get back to you if nobody has already answered your question

The Captain
01-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Those wires from the sensors go all the way to the ECU. Maybe the little bastards chewed through some injector wires, causing them not to squirt.

JD_1990_GTS
01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, in that case. I'm going to try and do some splicing. I've looked throughout the bay very thoroughly, and there is no other damage. Just those three sensor wires.
So, does anyone know what those three sensors do? And if they could be causing the car to not start?

celica91gts
01-22-2008, 01:51 PM
damn that sux man, that happens a lot over here in az if u park ur car outside regularly. keep the hood open. it makes them feel insecure about making a home in there.

Lonestag
01-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I don't know much about electronics, but that coolent temp sensor makes starting EXTREMELY hard in cold weather. When mine was broken, I could crank and crank and then it would eventually start, and stall out and ran like crap for about ten minutes.
Don't know if it would keep it from starting all together, probebly depends how OK is right now.

donteatbugs
01-23-2008, 04:56 AM
make sure you have the spark plug wires in the right place on the cap too. that will keep it from cranking. i would splice the wires in the best you can and solder them together with heat shrink over them. a loose connection can be a pain to find.