PDA

View Full Version : Convince me not to sell for an Evo X

The Captain
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Please convince me not to sell my 90 Celica for a new Evo X. I'm absolutely infatuated with the Evolution. I've been cruising through the Mitsubishi dealer parking lots waiting to see one. I haven't been this excited about a car release since the 93 Supra. Then I didn't have the money, but if I sold a couple of cars I could buy a new MR.

I know financially it's stupid to buy a new car, but I've never had one before. I do love my Celi because it's different and I'm afraid everyone and his mother is going to have an Evo in a few years.

Help.

Azzazzyn
01-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I won't love you anymore if you do.

Chris
01-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd say don't do it because I like the Celica All-trac's styling compared to the Evo, and I don't think everyone's gonna have an Evo on the road. Hell, I don't see any around here, at all; but most Kansas residents won't own it unless it has a 20 inch lift kit and a Ford logo on the side.

But it really depends, what are you looking to get out of your car? The occasional rally offroading, or trip to the drag strip? Or do you just like the idea that your car can haul ass, but you don't really use it that often?

celicaGT90_05
01-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Well lets see, your car is beautiful and I find the X to be ugly, I really dont see the big appeal....

zmile06
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
In all honesty everyone here in Dayton has an EVO or an WRX lol. If they have SOME money. The EVO is a nice car but i would rather have ur celica... Having a rare car like urs is much more of an AWW factory to me then an EVO.

extremeskillz
01-21-2008, 02:25 PM
i thought about the same thing before but i can't part with my GT-S. So don't sell, besides you can smoke an evo can't you?

nyana107
01-21-2008, 02:57 PM
you have a GT4, a rare car. then there's the evo. not so rare. i guess the upside to the evo is that aftermarket parts are readily available. to choose between the 2 is hard. why not have both? :wiggle:

burnyd
01-21-2008, 03:02 PM
eh for the car payment no I would take it otherwise the new X's are hella ugly and no clutch! Oh noes!

cms-gt4
01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Do what ever makes you happy. I would go test drive the evo, and if it makes you happier in it stock form then your modified alltrac. Then, do what makes you happy. While the evox in some angles does look much better than the lancer based evo, from what I understand it is a heavier car. Much heavier than your alltrac even.

Here is one thing to consider. I assume your alltrac is paid for which makes this easier. You can look at the cost of the new evo, which does have a new after market but after said and done will cost you well into the mid 30s. Last I heard is they will cost 38k. Or you can say, how much $$ will it take to make my alltrac a car I would never trade for an EVO x. Assume you spent another 12k on your alltrac. A set of custom wheels that fit it perfectly, A/M LSD, good alignment tools/ Possible custom body kit or lip, maybe some weight reduction or lower final drive from a rav 4 or even a larger turbo. Would those items, or any other items of your choice make you love the alltac more than an evo x?
Not sure if you race your cars, but Mitsu has been known to hunt the internet to find if evos had been in events so they can cancel warranties.

You might consider waiting till mitsu makes this.
Same AWD system as the evo, but lighter, better looking and turbo diesel.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mitsubishi-concept-ra-3/

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4687/conceptra06gx5.jpg

celicatrd93
01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
yeah do what ever makes you happy, hate to see the celica go but it will not hurt for a time to change to another car. if you have the chance why not? this is a tuff one.

celica1990gts
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
evos cost around 30k just drop 30k into the celica and you'll have a car that will smoke anything on the streets. I like the evo but i've heard their bad about blowing clutches and head gaskets. Plus with a four door everyone will want a ride somewhere.

Joeye27
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
if this is the car you want i say do it! you didnt have the money then for the car you wanted but now you do for a different car and its the one you like go for it!
people part with thier cars for newer ones all the time.
i love that celi but then again we only live once right!

Hiko
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Best reason I can think of? Because it's slower than the IX. Check here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3X6C_YeoIw).

But hey, if you really are that infatuated with it, get it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Mr Celica
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
nooo mitsu is the gaynuhs!!! don't do it!!!!!

Murgatroy
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Don't do it, think of the rareness factor.

T-spoon
01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I still seriously regret to this day selling my '90, and it wasn't nearly as mint/restored and upgraded as yours is. No way I'd trade your car for an Evo of any generation, absolutely no way.

Cavanagh
01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
"ATTN STi and Evo people, Turbo All Wheel Drive is not new!"
Dont jump on the bandwagon

I think they are ugly too.

Trance4c
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm just curious what your reasoning would be to give up your alltrac?

Or.. maybe I should say, what reason's don't you have?

I might be touching a subject that you would not appreciate, an I don't mean to have that kind of tone but I do believe its a perspective you need to evaluate.

Maybe you just don't have the kind of personal attachment to your celica that some of us do? Instead, maybe your just jones'ing for the new car an have cash to burn?

I'm not really sure, but upon my first meeting of you at Nopi.. I'm not sure exactly what your attachment is to the car.

extremeskillz
01-21-2008, 09:10 PM

I was going to point this out as well. DO NOT SELL THE CAR...PERIOD..

tuner4life
01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Dont do it!!

KoreanJoey
01-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Best reason I can think of? Because it's slower than the IX. Check here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3X6C_YeoIw).

I'll have to go with this one.

celicaGT90_05
01-21-2008, 11:52 PM

*applauds* :bigthumbu Im glad I'm not the only one

Mr Celica
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
i got a turbo awd car and kept my celica! you know why? cause they would have given me dick for my car and its already paid off so why not keep it? the more cars the merrier!

Wicked Toys
01-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Of course you will ultimately make your decision which can be difficult. But in my opinion you have an amazing car, I seen it up close and in action last year and you have definately motivated me to keep mine and work harder to make it more and more like famous ledgend that it is.

The Evo X is having alot of hipe, but the test vids I watched on youtube and streetfire show it not doing so well compared to older versions and the STI. It's still a nice car but its no Alltrac/GT-Four.

Also they're coming out with the Lancer Ralliart which is the same motor with FWD. Plus the Lancer it-self is closely resembled to and Evo X. Just means you'll see more cars in the future since mitsubishi is sellign all these options.

Lagos
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
You have a very unique alltrac. Its probably in the best shape that Ive ever seen.
If i were you, I would take some of the money that you would be wasting of financing a 35,000 car, and use it to upgrade the turbo, fuel system, and ecu. Build something thats going to be an EVO killer. :)

505celicaGT
01-27-2008, 08:37 AM
You have a very unique alltrac. Its probably in the best shape that Ive ever seen.
If i were you, I would take some of the money that you would be wasting of financing a 35,000 car, and use it to upgrade the turbo, fuel system, and ecu. Build something thats going to be an EVO killer. :)

id have to agree with lagos with this. imho make a car that will stomp evos. if you are wanting a flashy factor get the MR..

Want a old school car w/ more aftermarket parts for a little cheaper than new car parts. what im saying you could get MORE results with a older car that has infinate amount of versatility rather than a car that has 'stage 1,2,3' parts and get the same results as the celica. im not sure what the MR's HP is compared to your 4trac. me personally would LOVE to have a old school car whomp a shit MR'. its like if a hopped up chevy or ford (chevy imo) lined up with me. yeah id get beat. but it was by a old car that is easier to keep up than my newer car.

:lolhittin
MR... RC

but again i dont know crap about alltrac's or EVO's soo ignore this 0.03 cents if it doesn't help ya. :bigthumbu

Luni
01-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah John, you sell, I kill you :p

Dont do it man. You could afford an evox if you really wanted to anyway, and Id so much rather have an EVO9 MR than the x anyway. I cant stand the way the new ones look.

The only car Id condone you selling your trac for would be an E46 BMW M3. I could TOTALLY see you rolling one of those.

Sean
01-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Okay, I'll be the deviant one.

Do it! New car MMMMMMM! EVO 10 is beautiful, I would sport it everyday!

Keep both :)

The Captain
01-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Decisions, decisions. . .If I did get a new Evo it would without a doubt be the MR. If I keep my Celi it's gonna get big brakes and new wheels/tires.

celicaGT90_05
01-27-2008, 05:45 PM
evo x=fail, buying evo x=ultra fail

505celicaGT
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
big brakes wont kill a MR!!! lol. but it would help when you pull 6-7 car lengths and need to slow down to prove your point..! !!!!

celicaGT90_05
01-27-2008, 07:03 PM
the problem with big brakes is they add weight, and the big concern is that its unsprung weight which can throw off how a car handles

Ghosty
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
gt4rcdude -- you're probably asking the wrong people on this board. We're all biased because we have celicas. So I'll try to step out of the box for you.

Right now you have a very rare car. A very gorgeous, rare car. A car that, when the whole Barret-Jackson turns import ramps up, you'll no doubt get a nice chunk of cash for this car here. No doubt about it, you're sitting on a car of gold. I'm willing to bet the real value is $20,000 or more. Not right now of course, but in the near future, that's probably what you'll get for it.

Like others have said, take a look at the EvoX. As common as you can get. No value as rarity whatsoever. Fast, sure. Fun, of course. But you're going to plunk $38,000 on it.

So look at it this way -- $38,000 for an EvoX + $20,000 you'll loose by selling the ST185 RC. That's $58,000. Maybe $60,000.

Would you pay $60,000 for an EvoX? Just to have the pleasure of driving off the lot in a new car, only to have your ego thoroughly thrashed when you are forced to park next to another Evo in a parking lot?

And..... IT'S A MITSUBISHI!!!! AGHHH!!!

Seriously, though. I'd go out, plop $3k or $4k on a new turbo setup, and cheer myself up by blowing the minds of some of those new EvoX owners. Now, that's progress.

Mr Celica
01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
remember you lose a lot of value right when you drive that car off the lot brand new.

celicaGT90_05
01-27-2008, 08:06 PM
gt4rcdude -- you're probably asking the wrong people on this board. We're all biased because we have celicas.

Actually not true, I may own a celica but I'm not biased to it, I honestly feel his RC is much better than the evo x. That isn't to say I prefer toyota to mitsubishi or anything to that effect

extremeskillz
01-27-2008, 09:48 PM
gt4rcdude -- you're probably asking the wrong people on this board. We're all biased because we have celicas. So I'll try to step out of the box for you.

Right now you have a very rare car. A very gorgeous, rare car. A car that, when the whole Barret-Jackson turns import ramps up, you'll no doubt get a nice chunk of cash for this car here. No doubt about it, you're sitting on a car of gold. I'm willing to bet the real value is $20,000 or more. Not right now of course, but in the near future, that's probably what you'll get for it.

Like others have said, take a look at the EvoX. As common as you can get. No value as rarity whatsoever. Fast, sure. Fun, of course. But you're going to plunk $38,000 on it.

So look at it this way -- $38,000 for an EvoX + $20,000 you'll loose by selling the ST185 RC. That's $58,000. Maybe $60,000.

Would you pay $60,000 for an EvoX? Just to have the pleasure of driving off the lot in a new car, only to have your ego thoroughly thrashed when you are forced to park next to another Evo in a parking lot?

And..... IT'S A MITSUBISHI!!!! AGHHH!!!

Seriously, though. I'd go out, plop $3k or $4k on a new turbo setup, and cheer myself up by blowing the minds of some of those new EvoX owners. Now, that's progress.

Part of the reason I'll never sell my GT-S unless something serious in my life forces the sale. but i don't plan on it :bigthumbu

geebes
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
I just think mitsubishi is poor quality, but thats just me. I'd get a new sti. But I would keep your celi over all.

Ghosty
01-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Part of the reason I'll never sell my GT-S unless something serious in my life forces the sale. but i don't plan on it :bigthumbu

I haven't tried shopping for another celica, but from what I hear, it's a total seller's market. Especially when you consider the 7th gens that hold their value to an extreme.

I can imagine Celicas being one of those highly-sought after cars in the soon-to-be import collector scene. It will be right up there with the MR2 turbo, MR Spyders and Supras. Datsun 240s, 300zx tt, Mitsubishi 3000GTVR4, and all generations of RX cars will be right up there on that list.

As for hondas and acuras - forget about it. The market is flooded with Sis and Integra GSRs, methinks. You'll probably only be able to sell earlier gen Sis with a MINIMUM of custom work.

Wow, that's so off topic I'm going to stop right there.

Mr Celica
01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
i had an 06 lancer ES for a loaner car when my mazda was getting inspected and such, and let me tell you what a clam. i hope to god the evo is better than that. i didn't like the design of the dash and everything felt tacky. i've never really liked mits anyways

Wicked Toys
01-28-2008, 04:30 AM
i had an 06 lancer ES for a loaner car when my mazda was getting inspected and such, and let me tell you what a clam. i hope to god the evo is better than that. i didn't like the design of the dash and everything felt tacky. i've never really liked mits anyways

Yeah I was about to buy a New 08 Lancer for my daily driver. Agressive look, sport-tuned suspension, and already has good aftermarket support. Then I test drove one and :thumbsdow . The interior was cheap n made alot of noise, stereo sucked, speedo gauge was small and to the left out of sight, and yeah just a crappy test drive.

But yeah definately keep the RC. I mean I don't drive my GT4 all the time but when I do hell the car could have 10hp and I still enoy the looks I get and knowing I have something you don't see at every car show or alot on the road.

VikingJZ
01-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Wait for the Tata Nano and put EvoX emblems on it.

:D