PDA

View Full Version : Main brake line replacement?????

captsly
01-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi a newbie to the forum here......
I discovered today a brake fluid leak at a support fitting midpoint under my car (My 95 GT). Has anyone ever replace one of these main line's before?
(we are not talking about the hose just behind the wheel to the caliper). This line goes from the proportioning valve on the firewall to the drivers side rear brake. I'm just wondering how much of a bear will it be getting it in place over the fuel tank and snaked up in place on the firewall with the other lines intact? To add insult to injury I have jack stands and auto ramps but no lift........
Thanks in advance!
Steve

PS: My son won't help unless I increase his allowance :-) 4 1/2 year olds these days....

davmac
01-21-2008, 11:48 PM
Replacing brake hard line is a tough job. The safe choice is to buy an expensive OEM replacement line, but access to the original run route can be difficult or almost impossible. A custom made line requires you buy or rent a double flare tool and earn by the school of hard knocks the skill required to cut and double flare a replacement. A third option that I prepared for but never attempted (decided to junk my 89 gts with 2 corroded rear brake lines :( ) is to replace the entire line by buying pre made lines from an auto parts shop. You need to remove your old line to be sure you get the right size and fitting at each end. You then get pre made lines of sufficient length and any required coupling fittings. Then bend and make your run from proportioning valve to rubber line. You don't have to run in exactly the same spot. You might even leave much of the old line in place. Just keep the new line relatively hidden. And definitely do not use compression fittings - they are not safe.

captsly
01-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Thank Davmac,
I was really looking for one of those, "Oh I pulled that line out before and it was really not that big of a deal" responses but from crawling around under the car almost knew it wasn't so. Guess some days you are the cat and others you're the littler box. I'll be spitting litter out of my mouth in a few hours when I find out how much that OEM line will cost me from Toyota...... :eek:
Thanks for the reply and getting me back to reality,
Steve