PDA

View Full Version : Getting a little adventurous...

Lonestag
01-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I would like to cut my fuel line right after the filter (so the return line) and patch in an inline fuel cooler, like in this link.

http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=6531

I know i'm not going to gain any HP or anything, but I figure it always helps to keep your fuel (and hence in a small part your cylinders) as cool as possible for maximum efficency.

Let me know if this is a horrible idea before I kill my car in the name of science.

grayscale
01-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting, never seen one of these before. One thing that comes to mind though is that your fuel will never be warm enough to need cooling before it gets to the motor. I don't see how this would change anything at all.

Lonestag
01-19-2008, 05:55 PM
kinda the idea is since the fuel rail gets fairly hot from it's proximity to the motor, it heats the fuel right before it's injected which might make it easier to detonate. This (might) help keep the overall temp of the fuel down. It was more just a thought. It would be interesting if I had a way to moniter fuel temp to see if this makes a difference.

grayscale
01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I was thinking that the fuel from the tank up to the engine compartment would never be warm enough to be able to cool it, and the closer you mount the cooler to the engine the warmer it will get.

MrWOT
01-19-2008, 10:02 PM
I think it would probably make the most sense to plumb a cooler into the return, as the fuel would only really pick up heat once it's already at the rail right? :shrug:

grayscale
01-20-2008, 02:15 AM
^That's a possibility. How can fuel temp be measured?

Lonestag
01-21-2008, 05:20 AM
I don't know if they would fit the temperature range, but you could get one of those temperature sensors that are sold as computer accesories, it would be pretty easy to rig it to moniter the fuel line. You might even be able to get a readout up in the cabin. It would at least be intersting.

As for the placement, i would probebly mount it somwhere down near the wheel well to get it as cool as possible. Once again, this is more of a novel idea then anything else, I don't think i'll gain any HP or anything, but I think it might help keep the fuel in the tank cold which makes it easier on the fuel pump, which relies on the fuel to keep it cool.

Berg
01-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Wasn't there some dude that built a fiero several years back that used a fuel heater to get more power? I think I saw it on Horsepower TV. I'm not sure if this made it less efficient or not...

MrWOT
01-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that for quite a bit. If you got the fuel above the point of vaporization it would be a gas rather than a liquid when injected, would certainly give a superior burn, but if you were running a powerful car the injector would have to be of a massive capacity as the hot fuel is much less dense, would lean out. Cold fuel on the other hand would increase air density a little bit and keep the piston/valves/cc cooler.

Berg
01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Wouldn't colder fuel not mix with the air as well? Not argueing for or against, just curious.

Lonestag
01-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Colder fuel would hypotheticly require more air to burn efficently right? I'm a little hazy on that part. There is no way a fuel cooler like the one i'm thinking about would cool the fuel to a point where that would be a worry. This would be more to keep it closer to ambient temperature of the car when it was started. (IE keep the engine a little cooler on my 300 mile summer drives). This isn't like a cold can which runs the fuel through a bucket of dry ice, this just will do a bit to keep the overall temerature down (maybe).

Berg
01-21-2008, 11:55 PM
A fuel cooler just to keep the temperature close to ambient. My question would then be would the fuel pump and fuel from the return line really heat the fuel that much? I'm trying to think of heat sources for the fuel and those are the only two I can come up with. The fuel already has to travel up a line along the bottom of the car to the engine and then back again in a line next to it. Heat from the pump and the return is already being bled off to some degree. I don't know, I guess my point is I don't see a cooler like the one you are putting on having any noticeable effect. I could be wrong.

I would say that if you want to noticeably decrease the temperature in the combustion chamber you might want to look at a water injection system.

Another thing you might want to try is bypassing the coolant lines to the throttle body. There is debate on that subject in another thread on this board.

Lonestag
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Thats kinda the reason I posted here, more brainstorming then anything.

The fuel rail gets fairly hot I would think. I'll look around and check if there is any info out there on fuel temperature.

Lonestag
01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
It's actually hard to find a any sources on fuel cooling. Here is a thread I found that seems to confirm that cooling fuel a great deal increases power.

http://insider.speedtv.com/viewtopic.php?t=160187&sid=d827ca25cf8948a818e19f3ac80bf8cf

Still don't know if it's worth is though.

redwolf
01-22-2008, 12:42 AM
This isnt that bad of an idea. Had a 230 inch rear engine dragster some years back and ran a moroso cool can that you put dry ice in and the fuel line swirled around inside it. never ran it without it to see if it made any difference. But in theory the cooler the fuel the more power it will make. Alcohol as a fuel runs cooler than gasoline and can flow a greater volumn than gas.

juggernaut
01-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Wasn't there some dude that built a fiero several years back that used a fuel heater to get more power? I think I saw it on Horsepower TV. I'm not sure if this made it less efficient or not...
sounds like something smokey yunic would do. look him up. hes had some insane fiero builds back in the day. anyways, fuel coolers are good for certain applications. celicas? not soo much. if you want to keep your fuel cool, wrap your fuel lines and fuel rail in insulation. fuel from the tank is ambient air temperature. theres no increase in temp until it reaches the engine compartment. think about it. cooling ambient temp fuel with ambient temp air. it wouldnt drop the temp much at all. a cool can on the other hand, i have heard only good things from. i was thinking about puting one in my car if i ever get bored. to make one, you can take some fuel line, and bend up a bunch of coils inside a coffee can. run the inlet line through the bottom, and the outlet line just below the lid. you want the lid to still seal, and be removable (so you can fill it). seal the holes in the can for the lines with some RTV. fill up with ice, and have fun. you might feel a little seat of the pants power, but its more effective in summer.