PDA

View Full Version : are headers smog-legal in CA?

JasonX
01-19-2008, 08:36 AM
hello,
i heard that headers are not smog-legal because you have to remove your cat. is that true? doesn't sound right. can you have headers and your stock cat? are headers smog-legal in CA? please clarify. thanks. and if all is good, what brand headers are good? how about ebay?

celicaGT90_05
01-19-2008, 08:42 AM
as far as I know they wouldnt be because the cat is built in to the factory manifold, which a header wouldnt have. If you want a header, buy a cat that is 50-state legal, I believe magnaflow's high flow cats are but not entirely sure

Lonestag
01-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, most headers bypass the stock cat. I'm sure you could bolt an aftermarket one after the header to keep it legal though.

grayscale
01-19-2008, 01:24 PM
For it to be completely legal you would have to get a header and cat that are CARB certified. CARB stands for California Air Resources Board. If it has their gay ass stamp of approval on it you can use it in Cali, otherwise it is considered off road only there.

91 celica st
01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
hello,
i heard that headers are not smog-legal because you have to remove your cat. is that true? doesn't sound right. can you have headers and your stock cat? are headers smog-legal in CA? please clarify. thanks. and if all is good, what brand headers are good? how about ebay?

No head withought a carb stircker is smog legal. that is the perdicament i am in right now, i have a header on with no carb and i cant find a stock header to save my life.

JasonX
01-19-2008, 11:09 PM
thanks guys. yet another time my dreams got shot down to improve my celi. bummer :D. oh well, i'm not sure how much of hassle it'll be to find one that has the sticker since 94-99 celica is not so popular at aftermarket shops. rrrrrr.... oh well. thanks

i'll check if both have to be legal. hopefully just the cat will do.

grayscale
01-19-2008, 11:26 PM
It's a fact- both have to be CARB certified. Some people and places sell just the sticker though...