PDA

View Full Version : wastegate problem?

xeril
02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
car was pulling fine, but once it hit like 6200 or so, it seemed like it didn't want to surpass that rpm. i heard something about the wastegate might need to be adjusted?? it was hitting 11psi ish all the way up to that point.

Hooligan
02-20-2005, 11:56 PM
As far as I know, wastegate only deals with boost regulation. It bleeds off the excess boost so that you get the desired boost level. I highly doubt a wastegate would keep you from revving any higher.

Tell us more about the motor - miles, any maintinence done or needing to be done, etc. Also, tell us about your ignition components.

Luni
02-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Nope not the wastegate.

Wastegate just controls boost. It has nothing to do with your engines ability to breathe and rev.

galcrazi
02-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I assume your on a ct26? your going to feel sluggish after 5500 anyways. we just cant breath as well on the top as we do in the midrange. You can have it matted and it just wont pull quite like it does around 4 grand.

Sean
02-21-2005, 11:07 AM
As far as I know, wastegate only deals with boost regulation. It bleeds off the excess boost so that you get the desired boost level. I highly doubt a wastegate would keep you from revving any higher.

Tell us more about the motor - miles, any maintinence done or needing to be done, etc. Also, tell us about your ignition components.

A wastegate does not bleed of excess boost, a wastegate gets rid of exhaust gases. I know im being picky here, but there two different things.

If the wastegate is stuck open a little bit, this is going to effect the volume of exhaust that is going to pass through the turbine. This, will limit your compressor, and less air will be compressed. Your wastegate can be partiallyl lodged open, which could be making your car feel slower then it normally is. Your engine requires more air as the RPM rise, which equates to more boost needed to keep feeding the cylinders. This is why its feasible for your car to feel decent at lower levels.

Your waste gate arm may be bent, might need to be shimmed, or perhaps needs to be replaced. The best way to check this out is to take off the DP, and take a look. Also, you can hook up an air compressor to the diaphragm that controls the wastegate arm, and gently blow in 5+ psi and take not of wastegate arm movement.

Luni
02-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Sean youre missing it.

Bottom line is the wastegate could be fuckin stuck open and the engine would still freerev to 7250 rpm. He is saying his wont go far past 6k. That has nothing to do with the wastegate.

Sean
02-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Am i missing it? Or perhaps you are?

A cracked wastegate would certainly slow him down.

Sean
02-21-2005, 11:16 PM
"didnt want to surpass 6200"

Which could mean it stops all together at that RPM, or its sluggish past that point. Either way, more details would be nice.

Best bet is to get an af termarket boost gauge, and take a peak at those.

Luni
02-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Am i missing it? Or perhaps you are?

A cracked wastegate would certainly slow him down.

Dude.

You could take your turbo off your car, you could have a boost leak, you could have a number of issues with the boost control system, you could have NO boost, you could have a fuckin clogged cat, etc and youd STILL be able to bounce revlimiter.

Thats all Im sayin here.

Sean
02-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Again, he never said he couldnt rev past 6200........

Luni
02-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Well Im assuming he meant it is hard to go past 6200..

I mean my car pulls all the way to redline (I have a gutted cat and some other stuff too but still). Dont get your panties in a wad.

Sean
02-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Luni, i havent even said anything rude, and or explicit in this entire thread. So please do so the same, administer. You keep yelling at me when im throwing in my two cents, that apparently you haven thought about, so chill yourself.

carlosfandango
02-22-2005, 05:39 AM
lol at you two.

Luni
02-22-2005, 06:07 AM
Sean nowhere in this thread did I get antsy toward you.

It is a discussion.

I know who Im talking to here. I dont forget who people are. I was just being a smartass and saying basically if this is confrontational to you it doesnt need to be, Im chillin, and to just chill.

If I offended you Im sorry.

Sean
02-22-2005, 06:48 AM
I LOVE you Luni, now knock it off yo.. or im going to beat you up.

Feels like a fricken marriage for crying out loud....

spoolin_gt
02-22-2005, 07:34 AM
what mods have you done??which engine do you have??since it says that you have a 93 gt coupe im assuming that you did a swap??1st gen engine?2nd gen??3rd??which ecu are you using???you sure your clutch is not toast??...what gear are you in when you're doing 6200rpm??i was able to go up to 7500 or so before when i just finished my swap...but now..it's struggling past 6k also..my clutch is not good anymore...so that's one of the possibilities for me...