PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone autocrossed stock?

Newbster
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Like the title says, has anyone auto crossed their stock celica? Mine is fairly close to stock and am wondering how it feels in the turns in such? Alot of body roll? I have an automatic also, what would be best, keeping it in L (1st) or D2 (1st and 2nd). Any tips? Thanks.

burnyd
01-16-2008, 03:55 PM
you have a auto?

TheNefariousOne
01-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I have an automatic also,

Cavanagh
01-16-2008, 08:27 PM
IDK if it was just me, but my Celica had always seemed to have a good amount of body roll.

Newbster
01-16-2008, 09:59 PM
you have a auto?

Yes, you know, cars come in two varieties usually.

Slider
01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm on stock suspension with 200k miles on it along with a broken front swaybar 17" rims with some decent summer tires on there. This is what it looks like: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28809

A lot of body roll, and the steering feel and response doesn't come close to the other cars I drove. It's still a lot of fun though. I just wish my suspension was better.

celicatrd93
01-16-2008, 10:28 PM
it would be hard to autocross in a auto. i have not but will love to. joey is your man for these questions.

Blue Scapegoat
01-17-2008, 02:40 AM
My car just as an exhaust and intake, 17" Fliks and Cooper Zeon tires I believe.
I haven't let anybody else run my car, and my friends can't take pictures worth crap, but they did say that I managed the kick the rear inside tire off the ground a couple times. It rolls, but I didn't think it was that bad... I always place in the top half overall, it all depends on the driver... Besides, autocross is just for fun... go out and give it a shot!
Hell, my friend even autocrosses his 2.4L grand am. It's terrible, but works. He just keeps it in 2nd I believe. (4spd auto)

(also, if the course has a really sharp left-right jog at a fairly low speed, I seem to lose power steering for a quarter second or so... only actually happened on one of the 10 or so courses I've run. Just enough to make you run wide and look like an idiot. Can't seem to diagnose the problem, but I'm not a mechanic.)

Cavanagh
01-17-2008, 03:51 AM
LMAO, if a grand am can autocross, you sure as hell can.

Slider
01-17-2008, 07:21 AM
My car just as an exhaust and intake, 17" Fliks and Cooper Zeon tires I believe.
I haven't let anybody else run my car, and my friends can't take pictures worth crap, but they did say that I managed the kick the rear inside tire off the ground a couple times. It rolls, but I didn't think it was that bad... I always place in the top half overall, it all depends on the driver... Besides, autocross is just for fun... go out and give it a shot!
Hell, my friend even autocrosses his 2.4L grand am. It's terrible, but works. He just keeps it in 2nd I believe. (4spd auto)

(also, if the course has a really sharp left-right jog at a fairly low speed, I seem to lose power steering for a quarter second or so... only actually happened on one of the 10 or so courses I've run. Just enough to make you run wide and look like an idiot. Can't seem to diagnose the problem, but I'm not a mechanic.)

Same thing happens here, really throws me off. Did you check your power steering fluid? Mine was a little low and I filled it up a little higher it seems to help a little and it happens less often now from what I can tell or I'm just smoother with my inputs now. But it seems like a regular problem. There's a person that had a 5th gen GT-S that had a similar problem.

VikingJZ
01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I'd like to autox my 72 once I do a suspension rebuild.

KoreanJoey
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Like the title says, has anyone auto crossed their stock celica? Mine is fairly close to stock and am wondering how it feels in the turns in such? Alot of body roll? I have an automatic also, what would be best, keeping it in L (1st) or D2 (1st and 2nd). Any tips? Thanks.

You can autocross anything. I pretty much have as an instructor. The gauntlet goes from a Porsche GT3RS to Kia Rios... Remember autocrossing is more about the drivers than the cars.

Although I definitely have to say that the Celica by and large does not have a good place to run in autocross.

I run in F Street Prepared and it's pretty tough where I run. I find I get much better times in both PAX and non indexed classes with specific cars (best right now being the Pontiac Solstic, the Mini Cooper S, and the RX-8).

Financially it isn't feasible to compete at any serious level with a Celica. It hasn't, however, stopped me from trying. :)

KoreanJoey
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh yeah, if you ARE going to try to COMPETE in stock, get a good front swaybar (cause you're not allowed to get a rear bar) LOTS of camber in the front, like as much as you can get with crash bolts (cause that's all you're allowed in stock) a good amount of front and rear toe out (which will make better turning at the expense of EATING tires like they're pop tarts). And investing in some good shocks, Koni racing shocks would be the bare minimum.

Also refurbish all your bushings and mounts along with brake lines, calipers, boosters, master cylinders, new TOYOTA springs, ETC...

The list goes on...

Blue Scapegoat
01-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Same thing happens here, really throws me off. Did you check your power steering fluid? Mine was a little low and I filled it up a little higher it seems to help a little and it happens less often now from what I can tell or I'm just smoother with my inputs now. But it seems like a regular problem. There's a person that had a 5th gen GT-S that had a similar problem.

I had the belt aligned and properly tensioned a while back, thought it might have been slipping, but that didn't help. I remember checking the fluid and it was ok. Tried to go out a couple days ago to check again and snapped the hood release cable when I pulled the lever... This 0 degree farenheit stuff is killing the car... :(

And on the whole subject of odd cars to autocross, there is frequently an automatic Chevy Lumina and an old Saab Convertible where I go.

VikingJZ
01-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I saw a dude autoxing a 96 Suzuki X90...lol.

tuner4life
01-22-2008, 09:50 PM
I saw a dude autoxing a 96 Suzuki X90...lol.

did it roll over?? :lolhittin

KoreanJoey
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Dude I've autoXed an Audi 90 WAGON... talk about a roller coaster ride... thing would drive under brakes, squat under throttle and lean like a sailboat...

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 12:47 AM
You could probably autox a Wrangler if you're careful.

the Scuz-icky didn't roll, but it sure flew around the track pretty haphazardly.

VikingJZ
01-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Joey--Are you sure it didn't lean like a cholo? :)

remushair
01-24-2008, 11:08 PM
2 years ago, I won the E prepared class in some local autocross races for the season, well at the finals they held...all the champions from the different groups had to do an "all or nothing" run in a 1980's Volvo wagon....this thing was scary. I managed to get 4th best time overall out of the 8 other guys and 1 girl! I figured that using the ebrake and left braking helped a lot! Kill some of the understeer with e brake and make minor adjustments to your line with the left foot brake technique....and if you've never left foot braked....autocross is the best place to apply it since it's pretty sketchy on the road. BTW I'm a newb to this forum.

KoreanJoey
01-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Yeah left foot braking is my big ticket... but yeah, first time you try you'll damn near go through the windshield... at least that's how I remember the first time.

KoreanJoey
01-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Oh I remember the rental car challenge... all of us instructors would take out a Ford 500... god that car sucked.

remushair
01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
first time you try you'll damn near go through the windshield... at least that's how I remember the first time.

Yup, that's about right. I remember my first time doing was with no ABS and I locked the back tires up and about spun out...just messing around in a parking lot one night...it still weird to use it now even, but I'm a lot smoother at it and it actually benefits me since I've been able to see time splits from when I use it and when I don't. Average time diff for some local courses is like .3-.4 seconds quicker. Not bad for autocross!!!

KoreanJoey
01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Do you ever make it up to Packwood w/ the Oregon region guys? If so I might have to make it to some of those events.

remushair
01-25-2008, 08:20 PM
yeah, not in the last few years. The last raceway I was at in WA was pacific raceways and that was for subie fest 3 years ago. I mainly just stay in Oregon and go between the Eugene, Redmond, Salem, and Portland guys. I was at the Rose Cup last year at PIR but DNF do to my brake master cylinder blowing out on me! That was a little unnerving...and now I have a better understanding of why you have a cable E-brake...since that and down shifting is what stopped me. Do you ever come down to PIR???