PDA

View Full Version : new idea to keep Injen SRI cooler...

JasonX
01-16-2008, 01:50 AM
hey guys,
I put this insulation blanket on temporarily on my intake as seen in the picture to keep it cooler since i felt the pipe get pretty hot. the pipe did feel much cooler when i had it on so i'm thinking about having the guys at my work custom make one for my intake that would cover it end to end, stopping at the filter. ofcourse, there would not be a need for duct tape anymore :D. What do you guys think, would it make any difference on performance either way? I don't want the hassle if not worth it. Thanks...
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc208/ToyCelicaGT/100_1241.jpg

grayscale
01-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Not much of a difference. The problem is that the same air that is making your intake pipe hot is the same air you are sucking in through your filter. In order to improve this you need to be drawing air from outside the engine compartment and then the insulation will make a bigger difference.

Hookecho
01-16-2008, 03:22 AM
^^what he said. if you had a true cold air intake then the insulation would prevent alot of heatsoak. i need to do this with mine.

Žusty
01-16-2008, 05:38 AM
what about making a cold airbox? getting the best of both worlds...short for control, with a long pipe for quility cold air?
heresthe idea
TB==[filter<]============< cold air

grayscale
01-16-2008, 10:31 AM
That would be about the same as the stock intake as it drew air from outside the engine compartment. The stock setup is actually a pretty good one. The only reason I removed mine was to have a little less turbulence in the incoming air and to free up some space.

Newbster
01-17-2008, 02:28 AM
The muffle box, that the airbox sucks from, had about 10 lbs of leaves and acorns in mine.... Weight reduction FTW!

JasonX
01-17-2008, 07:05 AM
thanks all for your comments. i know if i had cold air intake then it would be great. but, i got this intake for only $100 and it's carb-legal (i'm in Cali) so, couldn't beat it. i'm going to get the custom made insulation anyways, since i'll probably get it free or close enough, so i'll post the pics. hopefully that heat shield around the filter combined with the insulation will make a little difference. All i can say for now, i love the sound of it, especially since it's only happens when i really put my foot into it. thanks guys.