PDA

View Full Version : Megan Racing Springs

Apostle
02-20-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm looking to get 17" rims on my celi, and at the same time i also want it kinda low. Megan Racing are the only springs i see available that offer 2" drops, they are on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7954512769&category=33586&sspagename=WDVW

http://www.customauto.ca/images/products/megansprings.jpg

Does anyone have these springs? What do you guys recommend?

Hooligan
02-20-2005, 08:58 PM
I would recommend going with a more known brand for suspension components, since a failure at speed could be catastrophic and bigger companies usually spend more money on optimizing their parts for a specific car. Brands like Eibach, H&R, and Intrax are all heavily used in racing and are probably a safer choice. Eibach's Sportline Series is supposed to lower about 2".

I am a little confused about Megan posting their spring rates on a spring that is progressive though. Progressive springs don't have a constant spring rate.

TEAMFaint
02-21-2005, 01:04 AM
I purchased these springs, they are currently sitting in my room. From what I can see they look pretty fair quality, I took them to a local shop in town and they said that they look good, nothing cheap about them. They do offer a constant 2" drop in the front and about a 1.75" in the rear.

Apostle
02-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I purchased these springs, they are currently sitting in my room. From what I can see they look pretty fair quality, I took them to a local shop in town and they said that they look good, nothing cheap about them. They do offer a constant 2" drop in the front and about a 1.75" in the rear.

your word is good enough. im on a budget anyways, dont care about expensive sh**'

TEAMFaint
02-21-2005, 03:15 AM
See the thing people have to understand about lowering springs/coilovers is this:
Spring and coilovers are mass produced. They are all produced by a single company and then sent to various other companies and they stamp there little name on it. A lot of the time you are just paying for the name (such as Billabong, Nike, etc. for clothing) The only real way to tell if a spring is better than another is to, buy two and install them on your car and waste all that money just to see if it makes the extra $100 different, which in my mind is not worth it. I know a lot of people have had problems with various "low end" springs, but it happens in all product in the world. I work at a sporting goods store, and some of the most quality name brands also have their defects, thats why there is warranty. Eibach, TRD, Megan Racing, Sprint, they are all the same, its just up to you on if you'd rather say you have TRD lowering springs or some no name brand that still lowers your car and has stock handling performance.

Just my two cents for the day. :owned:

Hooligan
02-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Wow. That is the biggest "justification" for being cheap that I've ever heard. Of course the higher end companies will have defects, but the companies that make inferior products will have them with more frequency and they will be worse.

Judging a set of springs by it's powdercoating quality and by a "local shop" is by no means acceptable. What qualifications does this shop that you're talking about have? Do they like orange?

Eibach makes all of their own springs on their in-house CNC spring coilers. Yes, it's true that TRD re-badges the Eibach Pro-Kit and sells it at their dealerships. However, if your car is under warranty and you have the springs installed by a dealer, the warranty isn't voided. That means they have to be good.

Also, it's not like there's only one way to go with suspension characteristics. Poorly designed or poor quality parts could significantly HURT suspension performance (and I don't even mean maximum skidpad rating and things like that). I am no expert in vehicle dynamics, but I do know from a dynamic systems class that many, many, many hours go into design for a single spring for a car. There is no way that a company could do the proper amount of research for a part like this, sell them to a wholesaler at $20 a set, and make a profit.

Everyone eventually learns the "do it once, do it right" lesson. I would just strongly recommend that you don't learn it somewhere this expensive.

TEAMFaint
02-21-2005, 05:33 AM
Hooligan, questions on your springs that your running right now: What brand are they and how much of a drop are they at currently? Also what struts are you running on them currently, is it true that depending on what type of struts you are running it will affect spring quality?

Hooligan
02-21-2005, 05:45 AM
I currently have Eibach Pro-kit springs installed on my car. I didn't measure ride height before and after the install, but they are supposed to lower approximately an inch. That's probably a good guess because the car doesn't look really low or anything.

When I had the springs installed, I had new OEM (KYB) shocks, struts, boots, bumpstops, and shock mounts installed. I would say that ride quality is very good in my car for being not stock. Nearly all bumps get swallowed by the suspension as they're supposed to, and I've never had problems scraping on driveways and the like.

Spring quality is totally independant of the dampers installed on the car. Dampers have a large affect on ride quality, as their purpose is to damped out the occilations that the springs produce. I would say that the damping rates of the stock shocks and struts are quite good when used in conjunction with the Eibach Pro-kit spring set.

Lowering springs are harder on shocks because they need to be stiffer to keep the car from bottoming out the suspension. This extra stiffness translates into larger forces on the dampers and increased wear. Properly designed progressive sections on springs can help reduce extra wear and tear on the dampers.

TEAMFaint
02-21-2005, 05:59 AM
More to suspension than what meets the eye, Im currently looking for some new struts to install into my celica, everyone says the name Koni, but the prices are through the roof, would you then recommend KYB to run with lowering springs?

nuclearhappines
02-21-2005, 06:09 AM
my advice

tien/intrax/h&r
kyb/blisten

stay away from cheap car parts ... unless they are used good parts

Hooligan
02-21-2005, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't recommend going very low on stock (KYB, Toyota, Monroe, Gabriel, etc) shocks/dampers. I would recommend a mild lowering spring (Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R Sport) and Bilsten dampers.

TEAMFaint
02-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Well in my room i have Megan Racing 2" lowering springs, would you say this is too much of a drop for KYB to handle then, and would also recommend Koni? I really dont feel like spending $800 on struts if I dont have to, im 17 and poor. :(

Hooligan
02-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I would say that 2" is probably a pretty hefty amount for stock dampers. I would recommend a smaller drop (1" or 1.3" as offered by Eibach and H&R, respectively) if you want to extend the life of your shocks and struts.

Apostle
02-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Well in my room i have Megan Racing 2" lowering springs, would you say this is too much of a drop for KYB to handle then, and would also recommend Koni? I really dont feel like spending $800 on struts if I dont have to, im 17 and poor. :(

Me and you have everything in common, including our car, age and springs :bigthumbu

jburner21
02-21-2005, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=Hooligan]Wow. That is the biggest "justification" for being cheap that I've ever heard. [QUOTE]

wow...lmao @ that

Ok, but for those of us that want a more substantial drop (such as 1.5" - 2") what can be done as far as prolonging the life of shocks / dampers?

Personally, I'd be more inclined to go somewhere closer to 1.5" on the drop in order to not sacrifice too much ride quality. But to that end, would that be too much of a drop for kybs? And would it be necessary to get new shocks after a 3sgte swap?

TEAMFaint
02-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Personally, I'd be more inclined to go somewhere closer to 1.5" on the drop in order to not sacrifice too much ride quality. But to that end, would that be too much of a drop for kybs? And would it be necessary to get new shocks after a 3sgte swap?

I've seen a lot of people go with up to a 2.5" drop on KYB's but the thing is, thats stessing em out A LOT and will soon be :owned:
Today I went around to 4 different shops in town and they all recommended that KYB would continously handle up to a 1.3" drop with no faults. Anything more and you can expect to have the life drained out of them much quicker.

As for after the 3SGTE swap there would be no requirement for change in struts. I've seen a lot of people go with their current struts. The only reason you see some that say "Not for All-trac" is because of the actual all-wheel drive, the rear suspension is different, so unless you are changing your current celica to a 185, there will be no requirement for a change in struts.
(This is what many people have told me, correct me if im wrong)

Hooligan
02-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Lower springs WILL wear dampers faster. Even 1". The larger the drop, the faster the wear on the dampers.

Faint, you are right about the ST185 suspension. It is different due to the AWD setup and the car is heavier overall so it is tuned differently.

celicaguy.
02-25-2005, 08:33 AM
im kinda thinkin this same thing through kellen. i got a wicked deal on some dropzones and their sitting in my room just waiting. they however are 1.5" drops. i want to match as set of shocks and struts too them but konis are soo exspensive. the sprints are lookin pretty good to me but im hearing good things about bilstiens. anyone got ideas?

TEAMFaint
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
its Neil! :woot:
Ya heard you did get a wicked deal on some drop zones, I tried purchasing them through Phat Boi but they are supposivily "discontinued". I've heard some goods things about Sprint, since they are matched with their springs that lower about 1.75" they should hold up pretty well. I'm thinkin this is the route I'll end up going.

85gtsblackman
02-26-2005, 02:25 AM
im just going to get some teins with the 1.4 drop in front and 1.0 in rear, 140 ebay specail

decent drop, i have new oem spec shocks, now im just waiting for my bumpstops to come in at work

im still going to get new mounts and dampers

Freeze
02-26-2005, 09:41 PM
As for the Megan Racing springs, it's a little iffy. They make good exhaust systems, but I've never heard of their suspension parts being widely used.

Hooligan
02-27-2005, 12:17 AM
As for the Megan Racing springs, it's a little iffy. They make good exhaust systems, but I've never heard of their suspension parts being widely used.

They make good exhaust systems? Just curious, but according to whom (I honestly don't know and this is a legit question)?