PDA

View Full Version : bumper ?

lburner
01-12-2008, 02:31 AM
what are they made of are they plastic or what, and what do i use to repair a crack in it?

19celica90
01-12-2008, 03:16 AM
most bumpers are made of plastic. Some are made of whats called frp, which means fiberglass re-inforced plastic. You can tell which is which on the back of a bumper. If you see tiny little strands of what looks like hair, its frp, if its smooth, then all plastic. Now, for the repair. You can repair plastic bumpers. I did them all the time when i was in school for automotive repair. You need an adhesive (personally my fav is Norton's Speed Grip) that will be the bonding agent. Now, when u buy the adhesive more than likely they will have the necessary mesh that goes with the glue. On the back side of the bumper you're going to sand down the plastic a little bit. This helps the glue stick. I always use a 90 deg with a 80grit. All you're going to do is scuff it, now get the glue out and put some on the back of the bumper completely covering the scuff you made. Cut some mesh and stick it into the glue. Fast forward, once dry, grind the front just a tad, add only glue, sand, prep, paint, you're done

juggernaut
01-12-2008, 03:27 AM
or if you're really lazy you can poprivet in a piece of sheet metal behind the bumper to hold it together. depends on wether you want it to look like frankenstein or like it was never damaged in the 1st place

lburner
01-12-2008, 03:36 AM
thanks man ill take a look tomm...