PDA

View Full Version : car not down shifting.

zmile06
01-10-2008, 02:12 AM
It's a 1993 toyota celica st. I just got everything put on it, used some JB weld on the radiator for now, its just on the plastic part so blah. And it is an OEM radiator lol.

I was pumping the gas a couple times to see if it would get up to 5 or 4.5k rpm some where around the red line like it SHOULD. And down shift 2 gears if it's on Over Drive. It wasnt Holding the gas down the transmission shifted a little before 4k rpms.

The strange thing is it sounded like some times it was at the red line.. Could it be a sensor that is making it mess up?

Because right before my engine blew up the first time it felt like i was in third gear way over the red line. Any suggestions guys?

The tranny fluid was low i just put a quart and a half in it i'm going to test it again tomorrow.

But are there some sensors or something i need to check when dropping an engine and transmission? OR what am i missing i would appreciate any ideas on what it could be. ANYTHING. Thanks guys :)

I'm also switching the engine over to synthetic next oil change since all the seals have been replaced :-D

celicaGT90_05
01-10-2008, 02:16 AM
wait is it not downshifting or is it just shiftin weirdly? If its just shifting funny check the kickdown cable and make sure its properly adjusted. It connects to the throttle plate

zmile06
01-10-2008, 03:51 AM
It's shifting but it's not shifting right u can say....

celicaGT90_05
01-10-2008, 04:00 AM
as I said, check the kickdown cable

AznKlique
01-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Is your car at normal operating temps? If it's cold, then your car will have a hard time reaching higher rpm ranges

zmile06
01-11-2008, 01:40 AM
nah it's normal temps everything is perfect it's just slugish and isn't down shifting when i hit the gas. I think its the kickdown cable i did have to take it off when i did the swap. But i screwed it i didn't mess with the adjustment i though but i'll find out!

85gtsblackman
01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
kickdown cable

Jeffx28
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM
kickdown cable

Sorry to bring up an older post, but do you mean the control cables? And if so how do adjust them?

Edit: His tranny is an auto, this post was thinking it was a standard.