PDA

View Full Version : I think her time has come

Sean
01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
3 engines, 3 transmission, 30+ thousand dollars worth of parts, I think its finally time I retire my car. A recent electrical issue has left me without brake lights, running lights, as well as dash lights. Frankly, I feel its sort of the last straw for me. I cannot afford to maintain this car with the quality of parts that I have been putting on it.

This was my first car, I have owned it for almost 8 years, putting around 160k miles on it. I have done SO many things with it, its done so many things with me. Through college, through girlfriends, through accidents, through happyness, its seen it all. The car knows my intentions probably far better then my own family.

It doesn't make sense to sell it as one piece, as I doubt I will get even a 1/4 of what I put into it (which I understand). The chassis has 270,000 miles on it, not worth the amount of money that I would expect out of it. I think I will be parting her out, bolt by bolt, then taking it to the junkyard. Someday, I will probably own an alltrac, but until then, I will miss my car. I was up all night last night, literally. This is probably the most stressful time in my life.

I will be compiling a list of parts here shortly.

smog7
01-09-2008, 10:10 PM
so what are you going to be driving in the meantime?

Cavanagh
01-09-2008, 10:22 PM
FUCK THAT....(excuse the language, it was needed)

I understand your sitution though... I'm truely sorry to hear. Before you start to part out, could you snag some last pictures?

Sorry :(

Hookecho
01-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Thread Failure

Hiko
01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
FUCK THAT....(excuse the language, it was needed)

Pretty much my thoughts.

That is genuinely sad to hear. I've always thought your car was one of the most badass around, and still would like to pattern my future mods based on your car.

If you do go through with the parting, let me know, I'd be interested in the cs bumper (even with the damage) and maybe some suspension bits.

Second to the question of what you're going to be driving in the meantime.

burnyd
01-09-2008, 10:43 PM
you wont do it!!!!!

Sean
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
:wavesad:

I think I have to. I need a car everyday, I dont know what I'll buy, something newer, cheap, reliable.

burnyd
01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
:wavesad:

I think I have to. I need a car everyday, I dont know what I'll buy, something newer, cheap, reliable.

I wouldnt part your car out for that reason....... I think you break things get pissed about how you cant drive it and decide the hell with it....

Find a POS not even that bad of a pos... I bought my 95st for that exact reason.. Ive put 35k on it in the past year with 30mpg.... ive prolly paid off all the repairs I would of putting it into a alltrac or a mr2 for a year of 35k mile driving.....

Sean
01-09-2008, 10:54 PM
In order to buy a car you have to have money. I dont have any money. You see?

I just paid 1200 dollars to take Part 2 and 3 board exams this quarter. I cant afford this car with my current income (read: NONE) and my future financial endeavors. Things are going to be rocky for a year or two, then hopefully I can pick up the pieces and get another fun car going. Dont think it will be a celica though, thats for sure.

MrWOT
01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Nooooooooooooooo! :sadcry:

edit: You've still got 2 kidneys right?

85gtsblackman
01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
i understand, thats exactly why i got rid of the stx years back, 3 engines, 4 or 5 clutches, 3 headgaskets, numerous wheel bearings, a/c broke every summer.

but my car wasnt fast, and i didnt have 30k into it

funny part was i bought the tiburon, put an intake and stero in it and left it alone

you will suffer from lack of anything to work on syndrome , but then i got the gt-s as a hobby car, but when i had my accident killing my tib, my gts became my daily, when u take any car with over 200,000 miles on it, somethings gonna give, so when i got my finaces in order i bought the legacy, its now my daily that i just drive and change oil in, thats it.

what u really need is a beater, anyone with a toyota over 12 years/200,000 miles (less for a supra) needs a spare car.

Luni
01-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Sean... Im sad to hear about that man.

I really am.

Dont sell your boost controller and crap without talking to me first f00. I mean, I want you to keep your car. But I also understand if you cant.

burnyd
01-09-2008, 11:38 PM
if only that rc tranny was still awd :(

zmile06
01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Eh bad choice, just my 2 cents... You've invested a shit load of money into the car. And now ur going to get what maybe 1/4 or a 1/2 by parting it out? The "smart" thing would be to fix it and not drive it daily if u feel that strong about it.

Hell there was nothing originally wrong with my car except a heater core leak. Most the things i have replaced have been because i wanted to do it BEFORE it went bad just to be safe. Wheel bearings etc.

The engine blew because of an oil leak and i got too lazy to fill it up every 2 weeks. Droped another engine ran into 30 thousand problems and i'm ok now.

The worse decision u can make is to sell something u won't get even half the money back. I know ur in school and need to pay for school, but u could of not done all the mods... And had a good reliable car.

Now ur in a sticky situation and might make a bad choice...

Heck buy a "cringe" 400 dollar cavalier until ur car is running. Beat it till it blows up. Or buy a 90 v6 camry from me for 400 lol.

celicaGT90_05
01-09-2008, 11:50 PM
uhh....I really dont know what to say, its too purdy of a car!

Luni
01-09-2008, 11:53 PM
I think its a bad choice too actually.

Electrical takes time to fix, but not generally too much money.

DarkSideCelica
01-10-2008, 12:04 AM
main reason why i have a DD.... u can pick an old corolla (i found my gf a 1993 corolla with 119K for $2600) with less than 140K miles for less than $2000... it'll save u headaches, gets good mpg and easy to work on... ;)

Sean
01-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Parts also wear out, I think it would be smart to sell the parts while they still hold some value, such as my transmission and suspension.

Slider
01-10-2008, 01:12 AM
You have the best looking GT2 on the board. Shame to see it go. Is there anyway you could just put it in storage and get a cheap corolla as a daily until you're out of school and have a steady job to afford a project car? Well, if you can't I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lagos
01-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I think its a bad idea. You want to part out a car with some small electrical issue, for a cheap used car with unknown issues. I think you'll regret your decision.

I would wait it out until you can afford to buy something thats clearly newer and better, not just different.

Sean
01-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I will buy something newer and better. I think I can get around 9 grand from my modifications alone. That is not counting parting the car out.

zmile06
01-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Fix the electrical because if u part it out u will regret it... Mark my words man... U will regret it...

I wanted to junk my car over bolts breaking for the rear seat lol. I know where ur coming from. Don't get me wrong... But i would rather keep my car and fix EVERYTHING on it then ever get rid of it.

Get a daily beater... Because u have way too many mods on ur car to drive it daily to be honest... U could but there are a million things that could go wrong on it.

If u get a newier car u will run into the same problems.. Unless u splurge on a really expensive car... I know people with 99+ cars and have 300 dollar sensors going bad. At least on ur car u know what is replaced...

celicaGT90_05
01-10-2008, 02:17 AM
Parts also wear out, I think it would be smart to sell the parts while they still hold some value, such as my transmission and suspension.

true, it happens with every car though, even the newer one you would get

grayscale
01-10-2008, 02:38 AM
You suck. You've had the honor of being the only car besides my own to grace my desktop background.
I really hate to see you do this, you will always wonder the rest of your life "what if I had just kept it?".
But I do hope you the best of luck no matter what you do.

Luni
01-10-2008, 02:58 AM
With all the time youd spend on parting it out, you could fix it.

Im fully against this Sean. I can see no win on this.

Id rather sell my personal shit and buy a cheap beater than sell my MR2. You have more money in your Celica than i have in my MR2 also. I wouldnt do it.

Sell your xbox360, and other personal shit and get a beater for a grand and drive it around. I dunno, just throwing out ideas.

Mr Celica
01-10-2008, 03:22 AM
^x2. sell stuff you have that you don't need first, that you can purchase at any other time later because its an item you can get anywhere. use that money to buy some cheap reliable transportation. don't part and junk the celica, they are going to become hard to find, especially in good condition. you have a lot invested in your car, it would be a shame to take all of that work and flush it just because of an electrical bug.

remember, like luni said; at any time you can go out and buy an xbox 360 that you sold, you probably will never be able to find a car like that again.

it holds sentimental value, too. it was your car for 8 years. i would never part with my celica even if it were dead. i mean shit, it got totalled and i bought it back from insurance just to keep it and fix it. ask anyone who has sold a car they once loved, they regret it. theres always another way, especially with something as simple as an electrical problem.

Sean
01-10-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm looking for a beater currently, I'm trying to work something out. I need to let the car sit for a bit and calm down. In the electrical forum, I have some information as to what I think is actually wrong with the car. The problem is, its just going to be something else here very soon.

I've had it since I was 16, it was thee car that taught me how to maintain, modify, and drive cars. Things are not perfect on it, not the way they should've been done. This is a result of my early lack of experience.

Still, other things are going on in my life that I just haven't had the nerve nor energy to post about, both financially and relationship wise. I've been looking at camry's and corolla's, hopefully I can pick one up soon.

Thanks for the support people, it means a lot.

Sean
01-10-2008, 03:24 AM
And Clayton made a post a while ago, I ridiculed him for considering selling his car. While the circumstances may not be the same, I think I know what he was saying now. I'm burnt out on this thing. You guys have no idea the amount of time I've spent on it. I just feel like I need a fresh start.

Trance4c
01-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Sean, I understand your frustration. I was ready to sell my car about 1.5 years ago.. when it was still my daily driver. That was just the problem though, for what I do to an with the car, it is not possible to always be a daily driver. In a 5 year span, a swap an car of this many miles, requires to be down for a 1 year of that 5 year span. Thats why I did buy a cheap daily, but a brand new car. Enter my white Scion XB, thats my DD. I honestly have never regretted it! When my gas tank takes $27 bucks to fill an takes me 10-14 days to burn (thats right.. to work an back an a few I can use 1 tank in 2 weeks.. for 27 bucks), it made much more sense. I understand you also don't have much to put down, neither did I.. I only had 1500 at the time. The XB is a cheap car, but it is the perfect beater, with low payments an great gas mileage to boot. Not to mention the fact that it had literally 1 mile on it when I bought it, its maintenance free. Adult life requires this, a swap does not always provide it.

I think you should consider selling something else, or doing what you can to get a small down payment on something. If you can afford the car payments, I would do this over an over again. My celica sits most of its time... but now, my 160,000 mile car hasn't gained many miles!! All the while, I have been able to really take my time an not rush, the convince is well worth it. I still have my hobby car, infact.. my 90 GT was my first car I bought as well, then I purchased my GTS.. so I feel your attachment. Though one thing is true, I have made the change in my life so that I now have both cars. Any way possible, this is the way to go. I would urge you to reconsider, I have all new bushings, control arms etc to go around my car because I understand your age issue. I have been working on making the chassis very stiff an tightening up the old age wear. Most of what I have been doing over the last year is not that exciting, but for me.. my car will live on much, much longer. I will be able to enjoy those same feels even into my late 30's by the work and decisions I have made with this car.

Thats something I would want you to consider, I know electrical issues are a bugger.. but at this point, if its not your DD.. over time, anything is replaceable. New fuse boxes? ok! New wiring? ok! In the end, the cost of replacing those parts is very small to the large investment you have already made.

Overall, if you do decide to move on with it.. that is understandable as well. I'd also understand getting a new shell in the future, stripping that an building a car up from the frame. In due time.. that is what I will do, once I'm older an have the facilities. Ultimately, I'd hope you keep it. Good luck.

Toyota_Todd
01-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Sean...

I was crushed to read your words in this post. Your dedication to "the Celica" is second to none. I personally hate to see you give up and get rid of the car. I hope that something does pan out with a new daily driver. This would give you the time to get over the anxiety you have with the Celica right now. I will still respect you if it is the only way, but we would all miss it.

extremeskillz
01-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Yea bad idea. There so many ways to troubleshoot a simply electrical issue. I agree with putting it away, storage, and buying a beater from craigslist.

MrWOT
01-10-2008, 03:55 AM
I just feel like I need a fresh start.

Got that not so fresh feeling eh? :ugh: ;)

I picked up a 91' corolla 5spd as a beater for $500 before I got the alltrac, 270k on the clock and solid as a rock. I still kinda miss it, was fun to beat on and a manual with no tach has a kind of charm to it.

jonathancullen89
01-10-2008, 05:24 AM
dude dont get rid of your car over an electrical problem, mine was doing the same thing. run a wire from the battery to a toggle switch then to the number 9 fuse (believe it is number 9) well its the fuse that goes to the rear lights, cluster ect. and see if that works. i hate to see another celica die.

Murgatroy
01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Don't do it.

I have lost many a good car to stupid choices. It hurts like hell to this day when I see a clean 2nd Gen Camaro running around.

Park it, take your mind off of it for a while. When you have time to invest to it again, then she will be there, waiting on you and your devotion.

With the help of the board, I am certain you can find a decent daily driver to beat on for a while with several good years left in it. I have been looking for a Corolla myself lately and they are abundant in good shape for ~$2k. I will most likely be picking one up in a couple of months.

I know you are frustrated with the car right now, but honestly, you will regret it if you do it. Hopefully we can help you through this, I know it has to be a rough time.

extremeskillz
01-10-2008, 01:09 PM
something tells me this thread is going to be a least 5 pages of people saying not to sell your car Sean.

jonathancullen89
01-10-2008, 02:38 PM
we just dont want to see it die. celica's are awsome cars, they just take alot of time and money. ive only spend a grand on mine but ive done all the work myself. ive already spend more on the car then i bought it for or its worth, its all about love.

Lonestag
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Come on, one more junked Celica means the ever-depressing celica-to-fartcan-civic ratio is just going to climb...

You can get $30 a pop for plasma...

Just throwing that out there...

Seriously though, even if you decide you need it gone, consider leaving it mostly intact, maybe just part out the engine and tranny and leave that sexy chassie for sombody to love.

tuner4life
01-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Dont do it man!!

I bought my 1990 Prizm (corolla) for $900 and beside for the rear seal being leaky and might need to replace it soon (236,000mi what can I say...) I just cant complain, I beat the crap out of the thing and it just wont die. All I have to do is oil changes. That way the celica can just relax during winter, or whenever it gives me problems I can take a break and not get too stressed out with it.

Your situation hits home with me. I've owned 12 vehicles since I was 16. I'm 18 now. I have loved several of them, and every time it was something like a head gasket here, seal there, or my favorite car before the celica (my 1990 prelude) needed a newer bottom end because it burned oil. I still miss this one to this day!! and all of them would have taken time and a little money to fix, but they were DDs and I just sold them before I thought about what I was doing. When I got the celica, I swore that I would not sell it unless it got messed up so bad that it couldnt be fixed. So I bought the Prizm as a beater so that whatever happened to the celica, I could address it properly, and not get burned out with it.

You just need a break. Find a way to get a beater, new or used, it doesnt matter. Let the Celica sit for a bit then readdress the problem with an open mind after you have had a few weeks or so to calm down.

Good luck, and Really don't want to see that amazing car of yours go to waste!!

Chris
01-10-2008, 06:16 PM
You suck. You've had the honor of being the only car besides my own to grace my desktop background.

Heh, it's been on mine too. It's a beautiful car Sean, and if you can discover any other options I'd seriously choose them against selling your Celica. You've put too much time and effort into the car to justify selling it for a mere 9 grand, thought you might be able to sell a part or two to make enough to buy a beater until you save up enough to fix the car, but even then I'd see what else you can work with first. Car's aren't worth selling when they become as sentimental as yours has to you, especially after 30k.

85gtsblackman
01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
get a 3rd gen/ toyota truck beater

donteatbugs
01-11-2008, 01:42 AM
can i get your manifold?

j/k. i would pick up another car. i have 2 cars that are constantly being modded/fixed one is always running though. its a pain in the ass but its a good feeling when both are able to be driven cross country with no fears. but that wont be for another 5 years. get a corolla.

MrWOT
01-11-2008, 01:48 AM
If you need the money, you've got my support. I hate to see it go, but in your position, I imagine the money would be really helpful right now if you picked up a beater and had the rest to hang on to. I've definetly been there, needing money for life and school was the reason I had to let go of my 91' SHO, and I miss it every time I think about it :( But life goes on, and you can always get another celica, this time an alltrac ;)

Sean
01-11-2008, 02:24 AM
No, NO money needed from other people. The gesture is very kind, but it isn't the main problem.

I just recently had to put 2300 dollars on my credit card this week because my financial aid failed to show up on time, but the check finally came today.

I am overwhelmed with the support this thread has offered me. I had a long phone conversation with my best friend last night who knows my trials and tribulations. Its an entirely different conversation when you woh and whine to somebody about your car when they can actually grasp what this thing means to you.

It would truly be the saddest day to have to tear this car down to nothing, I dont think I could do that. But, maybe it would be smart to at least sell the turbo, manifold, wastegate, for some extra money that I could dump into getting this thing back into shape.

I believe that it also doesn't make sense to spend a couple grand on a car, when in the end, the current one probably needs a 1/4th of that to become reliable. Clayton, I woud love to finance a new car, but I'm in such massive debt from school (and still snowballing) that its probably just not possible.

In the end, you guys are right, I need to take a break from this thing. I havent touched it in a day or two. Its sitting in the garage with every light fixture unbolted and on the ground, the dash ripped apart, et cetera. The problem has been traced down to the number one junction box on the drivers side, and I just need to find a replacement.

I will keep you guys updated. Thank you so much for the support, its just been a horrible week for me, this thread really helped to lift me up. Girlfriend/School/Car/financial issues has left me pretty depressed this week, and with a few sleepless nights. I will forever be stronger from the experience, but it has definitely left its mark on me.

tuner4life
01-11-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm glad we could be there for you. Give it some time, you will get things pulled together and be fine. You have alot of things going for you, and you will pull through!! :bigthumbu

donteatbugs
01-11-2008, 06:17 AM
i had an electricle problem on my all trac for a while, the main efi relay would crap out on me and my car would die. i traced it down to a burnt wire and connector on the back of the fuse box in the engine bay. it had me pretty confussed for a while though. right now im loving my alltrac since its the only thing running right now.

VikingJZ
01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Sean it seems like you're changing your mind about it. Hopefully I've read through this correctly.

I really was stunned to read all of this. My 72 ST completely fried the wiring harness. I'm just diving into wiring things up beyond head units and simple things. If I had time, I would have read up more and tried to rewire it myself, but only having two days a week really cramped my ability to do so. I'm letting someone else do it for me.

I was so close to just dumping that car for sale on here and the classic Celica site. I swore I wouldn't, and I'm glad I stuck to my guns. In the end, however many years from now, I'll have two really sweet cars to roll around in. I was lucky to get great deals on both cars and in the end after purchasing both, they really didn't cost me anything other than what I had saved.

Good luck tracing...I know its a huge pain in the ass. With my current state, doing tedious wiring is just out of the realm of my patience...not skill level.

Once the 72 gets back in my hands, that will most likely become my focus. The 300 really needs minimal attention other than gas and oil changes. This is last winter both cars will see. Next year its a late 80's Toyota truck that I will do absolutely nothing to...read--NOTHING.

I really want you to keep this car. If I had $25,000, I wouldn't hesitate in buying the car from you even in its current state. I know whats been done and how much it means to you. My old 1990 that I had was my pride and joy. It looked like an absolte train wreck but I had gone all over the country in the car, to college and back, and been through assorted girlfriends and hard times. It was also my first car and the vehicle that sparked my interest in the hobby. I do regret giving it up for the 300 all the time, even though the 300 is an amazing car and in a million times better shape--I had a personal connection with my red GT that no one else would be able to understand. Even with a major oil leak, I would have trusted that car in driving around the world. I felt that confident in it (but it would have been my own arrogance when the car died somewhere in Montana...lol).

Hopefully this problem will be such an easy fix for you and you look back on this thread and laugh at it. I know deep down you want to take this baby to the grave--so do just that.

extremeskillz
01-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Good to here. See these cars do touch you heart in a special way. Thats why i couldn't ever sell mine. Besides the fact they are head turners, the time you spent with it it during construction you feel a bond that you know your car well. Good to see your changing you mind Sean. Your car will appreiciate it and you will too. please note craigslist has ford escorts for $500 as a beater.

nuclearhappines
01-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Sean....

first of all, I LOVE YOUR CAR...

The celica I destroyed myself, it was sad, but the overzealos modding did it ... and i was burnt out and wanted something 'newer'
It felt bad to see the celica go, but that was quickly washed away by the VR4 ...
Then the VR4 destroyed itself because well, that's the kind of car the VR4 is... for 18 months straight that I owned the VR4 i spent every single weekend under it wrenching it, even in the cold , even in the hot, and in the end, it ate its guts out...

However now that I have a steady job, i think it's STUPID, that i had to sell that 'caliber' of a car over a 3000$ engine swap , or sell the celica rather than put a 400$ fresher 5sfe in that i hadn't abused with unintercooled boost and overadvanced timing...

At the time though (celica) I had 0 money. At the time though (VR4) I had -3,400 usd.. .yes i was in debt and all but 500 of that debt was car related. Every month i bought parts and thought 'this will be the last payment, then i'll finally get to enjoy a monster of a car' ... and every next month i was wrong.

I know how frustrating it is...

A few months ago I could've cared less if I sold the benz, but now ... after i got the springs, sway bar, and brakes on it... it kind of hurts to think that i may be leaving to the states soon and have to sell the benz (which is my cleanest modded car to date...)

Everytime though, the sting of losing a car is masked by the joy of building another because for me the 'design and buildup' process is just as important if not more important than the owning and driving ... so my personality is biased towards changing cars every 4 years (either that or constantly changing my car's setup trying to push it farther which is how i blew up the celica... )

If I'm back in the states, I want another celica, probably a 6th gen, probably a simple N/A build with all out suspension mods for autoX... and I'll probably rely on public transport for daily getting around... at least that is the plan ...

but who knows...

it would suck to see your car go... but if you have to do it, go ahead... once you're finally out of college you will be able to afford your 'dream' car... I've only been employed for 20 months now and i have around ~50k usd saved up. I can 'build up' any celica or 3000 gt i want... which is i position i would've loved to be in when i was short 500 bux and sold the celica and 3000 bux and sold the vr4. The thing is , with time your priorities will shift too ... i'd love to live in a city with a comprehensive and complete public transport system (like london and seoul) where i get to travel all over the city for a 30 buck per month public transport subscription card... and then i can slowly and surely acquire a car, then clean it up, then build it up, then enjoy it on the weekends... all the while having ZERO stress over 'will my car start tomorrow, how the hell will i get to work' ....

tuner4life
01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Please don't doom him to the Escorts!!!!!!!! There are alot better cars to be had for $500!!

Conrad_Turbo
01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
SEAN total shot in the dark...but does your cruise work? Probably not hey?

If so PM me and I know where you should start looking. :naughty:

extremeskillz
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Please don't doom him to the Escorts!!!!!!!! There are alot better cars to be had for $500!!

What part of beater didn't you understand for a 2nd car!!!

Chris
01-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Don't diss escorts, I've seen those things pull mad times against shopping carts and small children on scooters.

undecided
01-12-2008, 05:27 AM
argh. u gotta do what u gotta do.

this car has been around since i was posting on here.. damn..

im reluctant to get rid of my shitter celica. nowhere as nice as half of the ppl's on this board.. but im attached to the lil fucker and all. i've bought many new cars/motorcycles and sold them but always kept the shitter celica.

will you really get THAT much for the parts that your selling? i suggest just keepin the car and buying a cheap ass dd like a 'rolla or something.

VikingJZ
01-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Sean is in essence a celebrity on CT. That car carries the KBB value, modification value, and the Sean value. All together worth $25 grand to me.