PDA

View Full Version : New Celica Owner

JD_1990_GTS
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Hello. I just bought a 1990 Celica GTS with 155,000 miles on it for a daily driver. I fell in love with this car quickly and am very glad I purchased it. :) Ok so I have a few questions.
I purchased it mainly for a daily driver/econo car. What rpm would I be shifting at? I'm not used to these small motors and am afaid of lugging it by shifting it too low. I know how small motors are usually rev happy, so what should be my target shifting rpm for best mileage? Right now, i've been just doing 2500-3000. Also, what's a good cruise RPM for around town gas mileage?
Also, i'm going to do a seafoam treatment tomorrow. I understand that i need to suck some in through the vaccum hose on the intake. BUt how much? Can i just run a full can throuh that hose?
I'm also going to run it through the gas tank. Does my tank need to be full when I add it? Just wondering and don't want to mess anything up.
I was thinking about a good cleaning with 1 can through a vaccum source, and 1 can through the tank. Just not sure if it matters how much gas is in the tank.
Let me know guys.
Glad to be here and hope i can learn a little and contribute as well.
J.

Cavanagh
01-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Welcome to ctech! Do you have pictures of your car? What about the Cobra? Those are cool cars, my buddies got a 99. Anyhow, where you are shifting is fine and sounds about right for fuel economy. As for the Seafoam, i do not know about the vacuum hose part, though i did put it in one of my tanks of gas at around full, i dont think you have to have a full tank, but i would recommend it.

Murgatroy
01-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Personally I would do a full can through the intake and a can through the fuel. It won't hurt it. The tank doesn't have to be full, but it won't hurt.

As far as shifting, the cars are rev happy, and the tranny has rather short gears, at least for my taste. I shift my 3SFE around 3500 RPM most of the time, and she pulls down decent mileage. My 4AFE however is automatic, and I normally keep her to the floor and let her shift at redline, while keeping OD off unless I am 55+ and she continues to pull 35mpg+.

I have found that running 55mph in my 3SFE is about as high as I like to push it when going for economy, as I mentioned, the gears are rather short. However, going from 5MPG built domestic V8s to gas sipping 4 cylinders myself, I am never dissatisfied with the fuel economy of my Toyotas.

grayscale
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome, good to see a new owner. You'll find all the help you need here!

85gtsblackman
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

BEST way to clean combustion chamber is suck seafoam though the big vac line running to the brake master, then get a can of seafoam deep creep, bomb the intake with it

for fuel add 1 can of b-12 to gas tank

celicatrd93
01-11-2008, 05:48 PM
welcome aboard, will enjoy the site alot. i sure do

hobbie2k
01-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Welcome!

For the seafoam in the fuel, I would just follow the directions on the can, which will probably tell you to add a specific amount based on the size of your tank, then fill up the car after the seafoam to mix it. But a full can wouldn't hurt

As far as shifting is concerned. I say just shift when the moment feels right. I tend to short shift my cars (2000-3000 rpm depending on engine temp and road conditions) and find that as long as I plan my shifts with traffic and road considerations, I'm never lacking for power. From what I've read, short-shifting won't cause any harm to the car and running a taller gear with a wider throttle opening results in higher efficiency because of less pumping loss. I rarely let my car go over 3000 rpm...but I've got a 2.2L Ecotec which probably has a different torque curve from your 5sfe.

2500-3500 is pretty good.

JD_1990_GTS
01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey thanks guys. Very helpful crowd here. I went ahead and did a can of seafoam yesterday. Put 2/3 of a can in a full tank of gas and sucked the rest through a vacuum hose. Funny, it smoked a little while it was being sucked in, but after I turned it off and let it sit for 30 minutes, it didn't smoke at all after I started it again. Oh well.
So now I'm reading some things that say I should change the oil after I sucked seafoam through the intake. I thought you only needed to change the oil after pouring it in the crankcase.
Anyways, great site here guys and I'll be posting alot I'm sure.
J

Hookecho
01-11-2008, 11:27 PM
welcome to the forum man.

505celicaGT
01-12-2008, 06:38 AM
i shift mine at 2.5k no more on a 5sfe. and 5th in 35-40 mph zones. or could try the 1-3-5 method lol. but thats pushin it for mpg imo..

grayscale
01-12-2008, 02:27 PM
You use 5th gear at 35-40mph? You're killing your tranny dude!