PDA

View Full Version : after rebuild..........no power at all but idles fine

jeffwubze
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
hi....i am new to this forum......currently i am working on my 1990 St165...i rebuilt the top end and install new water pumps and rod bearings....the car before rebuild was running at 3 cylinder with broken exhaust valves on cylinder number two...i replaced them......but after everything was put back....the car has no power at all.....it idles fine but whenever i depress the gas pedal the engine can not rev up and sounds like dying.....checked teh timing....timing was right....only couple times it revved up to 5k slowly.....the worst part is that i live on a steep hill and can not move at all....the car has no power even in my garage.....when i shift to D and depress pedal it is dying and hardly move an inch....please help me!

wizzards581
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
"1990 St165"
"when i shift to D"

i think thats the problem.

in USA, 90-93 celica available were st18x. if st165/st185, no D, all 1,2,3,4,5, and R... double check again.

geebes
01-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I guess I'm confused about what car you have. Its an st165, an all wheel drive turbocharged celica from the 80's, from 1990 with an automatic, which they only came manual?

But as far as your problem, I have no idea. Check fuel injectors, and the air intake/throttle body.

celicaGT90_05
01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Do you have all proper sensors like say TP (throttle position) sensor plugged in? It sounds like a bad A/F ratio if it sounds like it wants to die when hitting the accelerator. I doubt it would even idle right without it, but also check the MAP sensor and things like the O2 sensor that would change the A/F ratio. My biggest guess is the TP sensor

jeffwubze
01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
sorry guys......the celica is a 1990 4afe ......it is automatic....the car oringinally come with a problem in it when it was running in 3 cylinders...which is the rev meter never works right...it keeps jumping around or point to higher rev which the engine never do so......any suggestions?

jeffwubze
01-09-2008, 08:57 PM
ok...it is a 4afe automatic celica.....make the long story short.......the celica has been running in 3 cylinders and leaking power steering fluid and leaking water pump.....so i decided to gave her a new life......rebuild the head and bearings...

problems i have prior rebuild:

1. 3 cylinder running(NO. 2 cylinder exahaust valve crack and broke)...fixed after rebuild.
2. leaking waterpump.....fixed after rebuild.

3. rod bearings worn out of spec........fixed after rebuild.

4. terrible leaking power steering pump.....haven't done anything yet

5. rev meter never work right unless the time she sometimes wants to...........haven't done anything yet
6. leaky injectors leaking gas..............replaced all seals and fixed after rebuild.

after rebuild, the problem i have now...
1. loss of power.....when shift in D......hardly move an inch
2. depress gas pedal.....car wants to die...but someimes can rev up slowly...simetimes...

the temp and everything is right....it idles right...starts right....even i turn on the ac it still runs fine......

so, that is the description of my celica problem now........hope to get some advice from you guys......i will also put up some pics and videos to let you guys see what is really on...

thanks

jeff

jeffwubze
01-10-2008, 05:55 AM
checked the sensors and hoses...all plugged......The TPS is plugged in too....but i figure some thing....when i pull the FPR vacuum hose off the engine did not stall at all....can this be the problem for no power?

donteatbugs
01-11-2008, 01:46 AM
it sounds like it might be a transmission problem.

juggernaut
01-11-2008, 02:41 AM
theres probably a shop rag thats been left in an intake runner or something of the sort. an engine needs air, fuel, and compression to run. test all 3 of them. if theyre all fine, its probably a sensor of some type

jeffwubze
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
now it revs okay......found the cause......i tight the alternator and powersteering pump too tight.......

jeffwubze
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
but now there is another problem........the ex owner of the car didn't know how to take care of cars......he didn't know the trans cooling line broke and the coolants leaked into the trans mission...i drained the trans fluid several times to clean the water out of the trans......the transmission worked fine before the rebuild...would stuck transmission be the cause? i am going to take down the filter pan tonight and see what is cooking inside there...

celicaGT90_05
01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
actually transmission can cause motor issues just as well as motors can cause transmission issues, so it very well may be the cause. Usually when you get the strawberry milkshake in the transmission, it wont take long before it starts to get damaged

jeffwubze
01-11-2008, 09:12 PM
just drained the fluid again.....also redo the gasket plus the transmission filter......should be no more straw milkshake........see if tonight it will be fine

jeffwubze
01-12-2008, 09:37 AM
just finished doing the Transmission.....it seems fine.....rechecked the timing.........find a terrible problem......the distributor timing is off......for some reason the end part coupe with the cam is shaky...plus the rotor is shaky after i tried to install it in......the rotor itself can be twisted about 20 degree advance or retard.....i don't know if this bad....please help me with this...

celica9303
01-12-2008, 10:27 PM
cant help with current problem but how did youfigure out your dead cylinder was a valve? check mypost in maintenence abuot my 5s on 3 cylinders