PDA

View Full Version : 4afe Sprung a leak......

tuner4life
01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Ok, I know it's not a celica, but since my 1990 prizm (winter beater) has the same drivetrain as a 5th gen ST (4afe), I figured it was a legitimate post

Im, pretty sure that the rear main seal on the motor is shot. It is leaking oil at the rate of about a drop every 5 seconds or so, and it's coming from in between the motor and tranny. I thought that seals started leaking slowly then got worse, but this one has never leaked a drop before today. It was rainy and there were alot of puddles, but I dont know what that would have done.

Anyways, what I would like to know is: How hard is it to change that seal?? Do I have to pull the motor?? Tranny?? Or can I just separate them in the car?? Any help would be much appreciated.

BTW: It's an automatic if that makes a difference.

davmac
01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Be real careful you don't have a leak even higher on the engine - like maybe from distributor or oil pressure sender - both of those would be easier than changing rear main seal.
If it is the rear main seal you can change it by dropping the tranny. I think dropping the tranny is easiest option to get access. If someone else has a better idea I'm sure they'll suggest it.