PDA

View Full Version : sunfires are slow...

Unarmed
01-08-2008, 05:34 AM
beat two of my friends sunfires by a few car lengths. one was an auto the other was a stick. the sticks gears are too long to have a shot in hell (unless I have a mechanical problem).

and this is with my car breathing exhaust gasses from a busted exhuast manifold gasket, and a short ram causing my car to run a bit more rich than it should. (my stock intake had a gaping hole and I like the engine sound with the short ram now that its installed)

VikingJZ
01-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Get that mani fixed and you might squeeze another length out of it with proper driving. Depending on the year of the car--yeah they are painfully slow.

T-spoon
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Yep, I had a buddy with an auto sunfire. He always wanted to drive my brokenass 88 Saab900 because it felt so much faster :lolhittin

Murgatroy
01-08-2008, 10:46 AM
The newer Z24 Cavaliers are rather quick. So are the older V6 Z24s, if you can keep them running long enough. I don't think the Sunfire got a 'Sport' model. There is a local guy around here with a Turbo Sunfire, I have never run against it though, as I don't condone street racing, and most Import twerps around here refuse to take their trash talking to a strip.

Chris
01-08-2008, 09:46 PM
The newer Z24 Cavaliers are rather quick. So are the older V6 Z24s, if you can keep them running long enough. I don't think the Sunfire got a 'Sport' model. There is a local guy around here with a Turbo Sunfire, I have never run against it though, as I don't condone street racing, and most Import twerps around here refuse to take their trash talking to a strip.

Meh, I ran against one once. I dunno, it might of been an auto, and I'll admit to knowing nothing about the condition of their car except to say that at 80 (we were in a 60 mph zone) my motor was relaxed at 3.8k. The Cavalier's was screaming its head off, it didn't sound too pleased to be running that hard.

Hookecho
01-08-2008, 11:25 PM
you must have raced a red one. the yellow ones are way faster.

MrWOT
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
This thread has my vote for most obvious title ever. :hehe:

85gtsblackman
01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
sunfizzles got a sport model, its called a gt

yeah i helped my friend build one, but a non gt, full intake exaust, header, chip.

the ol' gt-s had him by 2 cars by the time i was doing 115, so he got smart and listened to me and bought a 90 supra turbo with onlly 112,000 miles on it

but like all turbo toyotas, headgasket blew :thumbsdow , so im currently pulling a 7m

celicatrd93
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
you must have raced a red one. the yellow ones are way faster.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the sunfire gt is not bad at all. there is a guy that comes to all the carshows and midnight madness and drag strips locally that has a rx-7 headlights,widebody,s2000 taillights,19 inch wheels, air suspesion and of course turbo, but he never races it. could not find the pics now, will try to post them later. but nice kill

Mafix
01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
my wife has the last model sunfire with the ecotec and 5 speed. it sucks.

Mr Celica
01-09-2008, 02:01 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the sunfire gt is not bad at all. there is a guy that comes to all the carshows and midnight madness and drag strips locally that has a rx-7 headlights,widebody,s2000 taillights,19 inch wheels, air suspesion and of course turbo, but he never races it. could not find the pics now, will try to post them later. but nice kill

i think i found it! did it look something like this?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/celica1718/pontiak.jpg

(ms paint ownz u)

MrWOT
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
my wife has the last model sunfire with the ecotec and 5 speed. it sucks.

The ecotec is a great piece of engineering, sadly it's saddled with the rest of GMs stupidity :hehe:

Amaymi
01-09-2008, 03:08 AM
The ecotec is a great piece of engineering, sadly it's saddled with the rest of GMs stupidity :hehe:

I couldn't agree more. That motor has a great power-band and gets pretty decent gas mile-age. On the 360 mile trip to my home town it gets about 30-31 mpg with the air conditioning on and crusing at about 80 mph through hill country.

Seems like an evolution of the DOHC QUAD 4 motor found in Grand Am's, Skylark's, and Achieva's. Chain box with a similar head layout, intake manifold, and ignition set up.

Cavanagh
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Theres a kid around here who claims to have a 500+ WHP Sunfire lawl. Claims it's tiwn-charged and has a 12:1 compression....He said he will be my buddies Cobra with ease, yet, he always has an excuse why he wont race when we see him.

celicatrd93
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
damn how did you find that pic.....that thing is bad ass :laugh:

Mafix
01-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I couldn't agree more. That motor has a great power-band and gets pretty decent gas mile-age. On the 360 mile trip to my home town it gets about 30-31 mpg with the air conditioning on and crusing at about 80 mph through hill country.

Seems like an evolution of the DOHC QUAD 4 motor found in Grand Am's, Skylark's, and Achieva's. Chain box with a similar head layout, intake manifold, and ignition set up.
i agree that it is a great motor. even proven to stupid high power and boost but...
with the rest of the setup it may as well be garbage. the car suspension is still an 80's design which was never good to start with.

the freaking thing is heavy

there is no snap, which is a good thing, but it's boring (like CVTs)

junk GM manifolds and injection (but at least it's MAP)

gearing in the trans blows

i think that's about all my gripes. i'm sure if i threw on a turbo i'd love it but then there is the rest of the car. the body is great, i think. but the suspension just bugs me.

tuner4life
01-10-2008, 05:37 PM
My GF used to have a 1994 Cav RS , which is the Z24 w/o all the plastic crap. It was a convertible and automatic, and it was still fast as balls!!. It was the only vehicle that I have ever driven that would leave tire marks from one end of the school parking lot to the other with out power braking or using the E-brake. It had the 3.1L and It was an awesome little car. and never gave her any problems. But then she saw the light and bought a G20.

85gtsblackman
01-11-2008, 02:08 AM
infinity=nissan= slightly better than mitsubishi=fail

tuner4life
01-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Hater!!!! :thefinger

J/K... Doesnt really compare to Toyota, but it is a nice car... (SR20)!!

91 celica st
01-11-2008, 07:06 AM
i have a 97 sunfire. stock to stock it is faster than any stock st gt or gt/s.

150hp and 155 tq > 135 hp 145 tq

Fuelish
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
LOL at the corn-studdedness :cool:
i think i found it! did it look something like this?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/celica1718/pontiak.jpg

(ms paint ownz u)

Mr Celica
01-12-2008, 02:05 AM
:wiggle: !

undecided
01-12-2008, 05:41 AM
my ex had a 97 cavilier. same shit. 5 speed i used to beat the shit outta it.. it fucking sucked bad. everything about it from interior to susp to the engine/tranny. got back in my 90 celica felt like i was driving a cadillac it rode so nice.

VikingJZ
01-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey Cav, does that kid with the million BHP Scumfire pop the hood for you?

If not...oh noes! Stock engine.

Wait, wait...he might have a cone filter and assorted decals that were purchased from AutoZone. He's apparently sponsored by Lunati cams, Hooker headers, and APC as always.

lol

Ecotec was indeed a good idea, but crippled as said above. Any Cavalier or Sunfire I have ever ridden in seemed like a rattle box, very cheap. The non Ecotec's were unbelievably horrible cars.

My GF's brother has a 2001 base model thats a 5speed. The only cool thing on that car is the shift knob and boot design.

85gtsblackman
01-12-2008, 09:54 AM
they suck room wise if your over 5 feet tall

Mafix
01-12-2008, 09:57 PM
good point i forgot about that. i'm 6'3 and i have to f' the seat all up to get in a decent driving position and then i'm not comfortable at all.

85gtsblackman
01-12-2008, 11:32 PM
oh god, im 5,9 and im extreamly cramped in one of those things