PDA

View Full Version : Celica trouble continues...

zmile06
01-07-2008, 04:25 AM
The starter was bad had auto zone check it... Put the new starter in it's all fine and dandy.. Then i find out my radiator is cracked... Now i'm pissed.. Not only have i replaced everything on my car except for the interior... And some minor parts... My 4 year old radiator has a crack...

I'm pretty close to taking a shot gun to my car. It's a money pit and the biggest one i've ever had.

Galcobar
01-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Ouch, four years and it cracks? Tell me what brand it was (assuming aftermarket) so I know what to avoid. Took 17 years for my stock rad to pop a slow leak via a crack in the plastic top cap.

alltracman78
01-07-2008, 04:46 AM
You get what you pay for man.
When you go to a cheaper shop to get work done, and use cheaper parts, the work doesn't tend to get done as well, and parts don't tend to last as long.....
There are obviously exceptions, but that's how it goes as a rule.

You probably didn't use an OEM radiator, which I doubt would crack in 4 years. Not to say they're the only good ones to get [there are metal end tanked ones available].
Especially if you're going somewhere like autocrap, they tend to have the cheaper parts when it comes to parts stores......

In addition, when you do your own work [I have no clue if you do, but it's a factor for a lot of folks on here], you tend to do things wrong sometimes, which costs more $$.
There's nothing wrong with doing your own stuff [assuming you have some type of mechanical ability and/or someone that does know what they're doing helping or at least advising you], but it takes more out of the wallet sometimes.
I spent a lot of extra money on my earlier Celicas, learning what was right and wrong. Now I have the experience and knowhow to do things right the first time, but it took many extra trips to the bank and parts store.

zmile06
01-07-2008, 04:56 AM
I do all my own work. well most of it i don't weld. It was either cracked before the engine drop or got cracked when i took it out or got worse when i put it back in.. I was losing anti freeze before so i'm guessing it just got worse. It was a new radiator when i bought the celica. It looks OEM it has Japanese on the cap and it's all metal so i don't know? OEM is really the way to go on most parts.. I do trust a lot of duralast parts though... Then of course there are some trusted after market makers...

All i can say is i'm not happy... I'm broke as a joke. My dog is dying and might go into for a 600 dollar surgery i really wasn't counting on anything else going wrong on this car...

Just in a really bad mood... Lets just say december was the dead line and it continues...

zmile06
01-07-2008, 05:09 AM
radiator for my car is 350 plus shipping... OMG...

Stupid question is Ready-Rad Radiator as good as OE or near it in any way? because it's about half the price...

cs363
01-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Dude! I feel your pain....but that is the joys of owning vehicles in general. Sometimes you get a good run, sometimes you get a crap one and you know where you are right now!
Have you checked out some of those aluminum radiators on EBay? Some of them aren't bad and are about half that price or less. (OK, they may not be as good long term, but to get you out of the crap right now, might be worth a look or perhaps a good used one if you can find one?)
Hope things work out, especially for your dog.....not good when your best buddy is suffering :(

TheNefariousOne
01-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Two things:

1. Did you have the lines disconnected prior to dropping the engine + trans? I forgot to do it when I did my tranny swap and I snapped the neck off. Dumb mistake on my part.

2. Try radiator.com. I used them, and I think it cost me a little over $100 and they delivered it next day. Pretty sweet deal. It's not OEM but I've had no problems with it . Plus, the car is already, what ~15 years old? I don't think you'll be keeping it forever, so...

zmile06
01-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Two things:

1. Did you have the lines disconnected prior to dropping the engine + trans? I forgot to do it when I did my tranny swap and I snapped the neck off. Dumb mistake on my part.

2. Try radiator.com. I used them, and I think it cost me a little over $100 and they delivered it next day. Pretty sweet deal. It's not OEM but I've had no problems with it . Plus, the car is already, what ~15 years old? I don't think you'll be keeping it forever, so...
Yeah i will i just replaced the engine...