PDA

View Full Version : I hope I don't have many more issues...

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 04:12 AM
So, come tomorrow, I have to replace my brakes...

I bought new pads for all four corners today, and I'm gonna swap them out tomorrow, and at the same time, gonna pull the calipers, clean em really good, and paint them...

Now, I bought a quart of Pennzoil Synth. DOT3 brake fluid today...

When I change the brakes, and since I'm pulling the calipers, obviously I have to bleed the brakes, but should I bleed all the fluid out?

This is probably an obvious yes, but I just want to make sure...

I know how to bleed brakes, but what's the best way to remove all the fluid from the lines/reservoir?

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 04:17 AM
if your fluid isnt too bad lookin its not a big deal, but the best thing to do is run fluid through til the fluid clears up to clear or very light brown color

MoralWarfare
01-06-2008, 06:07 AM
not sure on what side to start with on celicas, but most cars it's right rear, left rear, right front, left front. do you have a pressure bleeder or are you bleeding them with a friend?

i'd bleed them until new fluid comes out of each caliper. and suck all the old fluid out of the reservoir before putting new stuff in.

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 06:09 AM
since celicas are diaganol split, I believe its right rear, left front, left rear, right front. I know it seems a little odd but if you think about it it really isnt

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Whoa whoa whoa...

What's all this diagonal split stuff you guys are talking about?

I've just always done them, whichever I feel like starting at, and work my way around...

And, what's the best way to suck the fluid outta the reservoir?

grayscale
01-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Turkey basters work well for removing the fluid from the reservoir.

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Whoa whoa whoa...

What's all this diagonal split stuff you guys are talking about?

I've just always done them, whichever I feel like starting at, and work my way around...

And, what's the best way to suck the fluid outta the reservoir?

Diaganol split means that if theres a leak in the system like say a line busts, well then you still have 1 brake rotor and 1 drum/rear rotor on the opposite side so that you still have some good braking power with less chances of skidding. Regular systems split the front brakes and rear brakes, its less stable if somethin goes wrong. They also dont do side to side split because then it would pull to one side and a lot of people wouldnt know what to do

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Ohhhhh, never thought of the turkey baster idea....

So, tmrw, when I do this, do right rear first, then front left, the left rear, the right front?

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 07:34 AM
yeah if I remember correctly thats the way to do it. Also, pulling fluid out of the reservoir wont take all the fluid out of the system, pretty much only the master cylinder. If I were you I wouldnt even worry about it. Are you planning to remove the calipers or just disconnect them from the knuckle and leave the line attached?

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Also, anyone know what those little "plastic cups (the little plastic things that are on the shifter arm)" are called, or even a part number for them, cuz I slung one into orbit when I was changing out the shifter, and I need new ones...

Hehehe...

This car is a lot of fun to work on.

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Removing the calipers.... and I'd prefer to get as much fluid out, as I possibly can...

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 07:47 AM
if you are removing the calipers you can just drain them, I would drain the caliper and refill what I could before putting it back on. They have copper washers they use to seal the line, I dont know if you can reuse them though. I wouldnt recommend removing the pistons in the back though for the drums, that will be a lot of work. Hmm Im not sure what else I can tell you.

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I have four wheel discs...

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 08:00 AM
oh ok, well I wasnt aware lol good luck with it, hope it turns out well

wizzards581
01-06-2008, 08:22 AM
bleed them from farthest to closest to the MC... so if lhd go rear right, rear left, front right, front left...

celicaGT90_05
01-06-2008, 08:23 AM
bleed them from farthest to closest to the MC... so if lhd go rear right, rear left, front right, front left...

that isnt what you are suppose to do on diagonal split systems, it only splits 2 ways and you are suppose to do both partnered sections together, which is why it would be right rear, left front, left rear, right front

MoralWarfare
01-06-2008, 06:08 PM
gt90-05, i was suggesting pulling old fluid out of the reservoir in addition to bleeding the brakes. if the old fluid is removed from the res. before adding new fluid, there won't be as much of a trace of old fluid in the new stuff. i always perform flushes like this:
remove old fluid from reservoir, install new fluid in reservoir, bleed brakes.

I just checked alldata, and they say the following for the 92 GT:
"NOTE: Start bleeding from the Caliper or Wheel Cylinder the farthest away from the Master Cylinder and finish at the closest."

I see what you mean though on a diag. split system as the whole purpose of bleeding in a sequence as you and i mentioned is to eliminate the possibility of cross-contamination from old and new brake fluid. maybe alltracman or t-spoon has more info?

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Ok, so how in the world do you remove the rear calipers???

Can't figure this out, to save my life, these are different than I have seen...

Frenchy
01-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Nevermind, we got it...

:-)