PDA

View Full Version : Steering leak...

tuner4life
01-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Alright, I have recently replaced my old leaky, noisy, worthless steering pump, with a new one. I was delighted to find that the nasty noise and the leak both stopped and the steering got tons smoother. But after about 50 miles I discovered a small puddle of steering fluid under the car on the floor of the garage. I believe the leak to be coming from the lines above the pump because they are all wet also.

I was wondering if there is a specific hose that usually is to blame, or any helpful tips to find the culprit. I also vaguely remember of hearing of a non-power steering rack that would replace the power one, but cant find any info. Also one of my friends, on his 5th gen just capped off the lines to the rack, and ran it like that for a long time, and after the fluid ran out, it didnt leak anymore, and somehow the steering still worked okay, I guess.

I just really am dreading doing anything with it, because of the hassle it is to get to anything on the back of the motor (anyone whos ever changed the steering pump on a 5sfe installed in the vehicle knows what I speak of). But if I can find a non power rack, it would be better, I think... But ease of drivability??

Any constructive comments/ideas??

Fuelish
01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
IIRC, the high pressure hose/line is the most likely leak culprit. Mine drips occasionally, but not major enough to make me wanna replace it....

tuner4life
01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
IIRC, the high pressure hose/line is the most likely leak culprit. Mine drips occasionally, but not major enough to make me wanna replace it....

thats the one with the banjo fitting that goes from the resivoir to the pump, right?

PhillyDRFT
01-05-2008, 08:49 PM
thats the one with the banjo fitting that goes from the resivoir to the pump, right?

The one in the far passengerside of the engine bay. Behind the strut tower. Visible from all angles.

It's a common problem for 5th gens. I believe it has even been involved in a recall.

tuner4life
01-07-2008, 06:12 AM
I have heard that some form of non-power steering rack from an '88ish toyota pickup bolts right in, I searched all over, but cant find out, is this true?? what all is involved or is it a direct swap??

91 Celica GT-S
01-08-2008, 09:36 AM
never heard of a non power steering rack but if you remove the belt to the power steering pump then youll have a rack without power steering. its just very difficult to turn the wheel when parked or at low speeds. really not worth it in my opinion. high pressure line only cost around 30 dollars

Idiot Stick
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Mine leaks somewhere in that plastic tubing going down into the engine bay. There are rubber covers over it and the leak is behind that, since its all wet from that rubber cover and below. Im gonna call toyota right away and see if that is a recall :o

No Recall....atleast in Canada. Shoot