PDA

View Full Version : Car isn't cranking...

zmile06
01-05-2008, 04:56 AM
I just got done putting every wire and every bolt in the car... And i don't even get a clicking or crank out of my starter... Can someone point out what it could be? Including any grounds that go to the starter etc. I don't wana pull the starter and test it because the starter is a pain in the ass to get to.

The battery was reading like 1 volt when i finally put it in the car but it's been charging for like half an hour and i get the same result...

zmile06
01-05-2008, 04:57 AM
blah 93 toyota celica st automatic...

acidice333
01-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Dead battery, excessive unnessesary drain, or short. Disconnect the battery, charge it, still reads 1v? Then get a new battery.

zmile06
01-05-2008, 05:07 AM
well i take off the charger and it reads like 11v it's still in the bay charging with everything hooked to it.

So i dunno... i'm about to shoot my car.

acidice333
01-05-2008, 05:12 AM
well then since the "1 volt" was probably a typo, I will assume u meant 11 volts. Since its still hooked upto the car, does everything else work?

zmile06
01-05-2008, 07:01 AM
well then since the "1 volt" was probably a typo, I will assume u meant 11 volts. Since its still hooked upto the car, does everything else work?
Yes everything else works....

tuner4life
01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Probably something in the starter circuit. i.e.: fuses, relays, ignition switch, or even the starter itself. Take a voltmeter and see where you have voltage, and wherever in the wiring the you quit getting voltage that is where your problem is. But I would consider testing the starter.

MoralWarfare
01-05-2008, 03:40 PM
what's your battery voltage when trying to start the vehicle (like when you're cranking it)? what did you recently do to the car? do any of the lights or accessories in the car work?

tripod23
01-05-2008, 04:27 PM
i recently had a similar problem no cranking when i turn the key just a clicking sound from the starter. so i replaced the contacts 5.00 uk money a little bit of time - job done its been great since touch wood, its worth checking them as they get burnt over time very easy job to do....................did you have any problems before hand retrace your steps

cs363
01-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm guessing you have BOTH wires connected to the starter? (Should be the main battery lead that attaches to the big terminal with a nut, plus the smaller one that has a spade terminal connection.....)
All battery cables and grounds (check alternator as well) connected and tight?

You should have a minimum of 11.8 volts at the battery.

Is your neutral/park start switch connected on your auto trans? (is car in gear or neutral/park?)

If these are all ok, then check your fuses/fusible links are'nt blown and that your starter relay is functioning. (Starter relay is passenger footwell kick panel)

If your battery has enough charge in it now, I'm picking that your neutral start switch is not connected or faulty (Or you had brain fade and tried to start in gear?!)

I'm assuming that everything worked prior to you pulling the car apart?

Hope this helps!

zmile06
01-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah everything worked prior to pulling the car apart... The neutral switch my dad did a check for earlier and he thinks it's fine. Both of the cables are hooked up my dad thinks it's the starter because he hears it turn but it doesn't click over. So i guess i have the crappy task of pulling the starter and testing it URGH!

zmile06
01-05-2008, 07:24 PM
just a question the alternator has a wire going to the crank shaft sensor correct?

cs363
01-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah everything worked prior to pulling the car apart... The neutral switch my dad did a check for earlier and he thinks it's fine. Both of the cables are hooked up my dad thinks it's the starter because he hears it turn but it doesn't click over. So i guess i have the crappy task of pulling the starter and testing it URGH!

Hmmm....what voltage do you have now? Sounds almost like it's just not getting enough juice...

zmile06
01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Found the problem by running 12 volts directly from the battery to the starter. The neutrul switch wasn't making good contact with the plug it got bent some how, i bent it out and it was good as new. What a weird that it would be a bent clip.

Anyways the starter is aparently bad, i'm not sure how it got bad over night i never had a problem with it before... It takes a couple times for the starter to fully click so i'm replacing that tommorow. Unless i charge it up tonight and it works tommorow but it's been charging all day so.

cs363
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
just a question the alternator has a wire going to the crank shaft sensor correct?

Should just have two wires, well two lots of wires to be specific - one heavy gauge wire that attaches to the terminal post on the alternator this is the power wire, and then there should be a round or oval plug with several wires attached to it that plugs into the back of the alternator.

cs363
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Found the problem by running 12 volts directly from the battery to the starter. The neutrul switch wasn't making good contact with the plug it got bent some how, i bent it out and it was good as new. What a weird that it would be a bent clip.

Anyways the starter is aparently bad, i'm not sure how it got bad over night i never had a problem with it before... It takes a couple times for the starter to fully click so i'm replacing that tommorow. Unless i charge it up tonight and it works tommorow but it's been charging all day so.

ha! those neutral switches are nearly always the cause of problems like this! :)
Seems weird that the starter has suddenly got bad if you've never had issues before. I would tend to suspect the battery as it was so low on voltage. I would do a charging check - you should be seeing 14.6-14.8 or so volts at the battery when the engine is running, if its only 12-12.5 or so then you have a charging problem.

zmile06
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I will try that tomorrow the battery is brand new though so i don't get it. the alternator never gave me problems either.

burnyd
01-05-2008, 09:20 PM
you have too many car problems you should just buy a new one.

zmile06
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
you have too many car problems you should just buy a new one.
And let a celica go to the junk yard? Never.

TheNefariousOne
01-06-2008, 01:03 AM
A car's a car mang.