PDA

View Full Version : My JDM ST185 bumper came in!

StormyBklyn
01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, I got my JDM bumper yesterday, which is going on to the 'vert. I also got the widebody fenders for the All Trac. Now I can finally get rid of the fenders with the mashed in wheel wells. It wasn't bad, but one of the dangers of on the street parking is dings and people banging into the car. So, my fenders were a little messed up, and now I have new ones. The bumper and fenders are black, but that's nothing that a little paint can't fix.
Question 1: Do I need to modify anything to mount the bumper on a non-ST185? I have the reinforcements for the bumper, so does that just mount up?
Question 2: There seems to be some sort of sensor and plug at the bottom of the bumper. I have no idea what this does. I'm at work now, so I can't even get a picture of it. There's a small plastic cylinder about an inch long, with this plug in it located in the grille. Does anyone know what this is for? I don't think I've ever seen it on the bumper for the GT or the All Trac with the USDM bumper.
Thanks

Hookecho
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
that plastic cylinder is the airbag sensor. i have one on in the same spot on my car.

celicatrd93
01-04-2008, 06:38 PM
nice. congrats now we need to see some pics posted.....

Slider
01-04-2008, 08:02 PM
that plastic cylinder is the airbag sensor. i have one on in the same spot on my car.

Hmmm didn't have one on mine, or the 92-93 Celica that I took the bumper off of. Maybe that's why my airbag didn't go off.

StormyBklyn
01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't have one on my 92 All Trac or my 92 GT. Kind of scary, actually...
I'll take pics of the bumper tonight and post them. I love the round fog lights.
The fenders are also JDM, basically meaning that the factory side markers are already there. Can't wait to get them painted and installed.

Carolina91GT-S
01-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I just posted about this in Murg's thread but I'll add it here too....Be careful about JDM fenders for the 5th Gen...Most of them are not widebody like the US ALL Trac and GT-S. Most of them are narrowbody like the US GT and ST. Read this...

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23389&sid=443002907a20faf26659b0fa4c768122

I hope you got what you were hoping for....

alltracman78
01-07-2008, 04:49 AM

No it's not.

It's probably the AC ambient temp sensor.
If your car doesn't have one either it has no AC or it was removed [assuming that's what it is].

The airbag sensors [there are 2] are on both front inner fenders, and they're a black box, not a black cylinder.

The bumper will bolt right up.
The only bumper cover that is a problem is the homologation version.

StormyBklyn
01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
It's probably the AC ambient temp sensor.
If your car doesn't have one either it has no AC or it was removed [assuming that's what it is].
Both the All Trac and the GT have AC. Unless I've never noticed this on either car. That's a possibility, since I think I would have to take the bumper off to see it. The All Trac has the temp sensor, so could that be it?

The bumper will bolt right up.
The only bumper cover that is a problem is the homologation version.
By homologation, you mean the RC/Grp A? That would bolt up to the All Trac, no? Eh, I think with that, I'll just have a body shop do it when I get it painted.

The Captain
01-07-2008, 09:20 PM
:worthless

alltracman78
01-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Both the All Trac and the GT have AC. Unless I've never noticed this on either car. That's a possibility, since I think I would have to take the bumper off to see it. The All Trac has the temp sensor, so could that be it?
Sorry, I forgot to put it's only with auto AC.
Your GT probably doesn't have that, but the Alltrac should.
There will be an auto switch on the HVAC controls.

By homologation, you mean the RC/Grp A? That would bolt up to the All Trac, no? Eh, I think with that, I'll just have a body shop do it when I get it painted.
Yes, the RC/CS/Grp A is the homologation verison.

All the bumper covers for all the different models are interchangeable as far as how they bolt up to the chassis.
You could take a 90 ST bumper cover and bolt it to a 92 RC and it would physically attach.
The only issue is with the homologation cover. It has a different crash bar than all the others. It will bolt up to a normal Celica, but I don't believe it will fit quite right on the front with the normal crash bar, which you will also be able to see [it's covered by the normal covers].
If you get a homologation crash bar and cover it will work fine on a regular Celica. There's also a support up top that isn't required but helps. While some people say it will "hang" without it, they're wrong, you just use the regular support. Most of the bolt holes line up.

StormyBklyn
01-07-2008, 11:29 PM
:worthless
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/3/1/9/bumper1.jpg
Happy now? :)

The Captain
01-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Much better! The only difference between the US alltrac bumper and the JDM bumper is the fog lights and the removable grill around them. I have the same bumper in my basement (JDM w/ round fogs) as well as the US alltrac bumper. The bumper you have is the JDM "RC" with the top mount A2A intercooler, the RC homologation car had a different bumper (with the different support bar) and a W2A intercooler. Yeah, I know, I've had three bumpers on this car!

JDM A2A bumper:

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/mygtfour02.jpg

USDM bumper:

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/09280033.JPG

And the RC homologation W2A bumper: