PDA

View Full Version : It's official. TOYOTA IS GETTING A SPORTS CAR!!

Ghosty
01-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Turns out the Subaru / Toyota collaboration is true.

According to the Yomiuri Shimbun, the largest circulated newspaper in Japan (and the world), there will be a Toyota sports car. It would be the only current sports car in Toyota's lineup; the MR-S was last offered in Japan in early '07.

The article says it will be rear-wheel drive, and powered by a Subaru 2.0 liter boxter engine.

It will be an introductory vehicle, priced at around $18,000 in US dollars (2 million yen).

This very well may be the much-fabled "Levin."

(the article) (http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/20080104TDY01303.htm)

Hiko
01-04-2008, 07:27 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. But I do have to say that this...

powered by a Subaru 2.0 liter boxter engine.
...does not sit well with me for some reason. I hope they at least mount that thing as far back as possible being that they won't have to accommodate an AWD system.

Ghosty
01-04-2008, 07:44 AM
It sounds like the real deal. Whether it will reach American shores, however, is uncertain.

Myself, I'm not too concerned about the engine not being a Toyota. After all, the 3SGTE and 2ZZGE are Yamaha. And Yamaha developed the 2000GT.

My only concern with the engine is that it is only 2.0 liters and non turbocharged. In a $18,000+ car (probably more like $20,000 with tax/ tariff), I would expect more displacement, and the power to match.

Denver_whiteST185
01-04-2008, 08:33 AM
hmm, i wonder why they don't just use the TC powerplant in a RWD car. i don't care if its labeled a scion or a toyota, as long as its fun, handles well, and isn't too harsh on the eyes (no more jap box cars)

JustinSW20
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
After all, the 3SGTE and 2ZZGE are Yamaha. And Yamaha developed the 2000GT.

Yamaha designed all the "G" heads.

donteatbugs
01-04-2008, 09:45 PM
whats up justin...nice to see you around...and yes yamaha makes some good stuff for toyotas. and so much stuff is interchangeable its crazy.

burnyd
01-04-2008, 10:22 PM
theres a black guy on this board who will be well interested int his car...

extremeskillz
01-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I think i know this black guy :hehe:

Ghosty
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM

... lol

Nah, he's not biased at all :rolleyes:

And now that I think about it, I wonder how well the car would do for a STi transplant. Now that would be one hell of a car.

MoralWarfare
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
this isn't official until Toyota claims it is. Cool idea though, and i think the subaru engine is a good venture.

andy
01-06-2008, 01:56 AM
sounds fun to me. ill like to see one soon. Justing fix your damn car!

Ghosty
01-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Come to think of it, I might have to take back what I said about this being the only Toyota sports car in production (if all goes according to plan)

I mean, most would consider the Caldina GT4 a sports car, right? And that was just taken out of production this year. And the AE111, the last Levin, well that never made US shores and they only sopped production recently. And very few people know what that car is.

Point is, I really wonder if there isn't some sort of sporty Toyota that exists in Japanese lots that we just don't know about in the states. Maybe the Yaris Turbo? There is a Yaris Turbo, right?

3tc power
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
if toyota uses the subi motor i will be very pissed off. with all the successful turbo motor that was produced in the past be toyota, you would think that they wouldn't need any help with putting a motor in the new concept car....just my .02

85gtsblackman
01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
if toyota uses the subi motor i will be very pissed off. with all the successful blown head gasket turbo motors that was produced in the past be toyota, you would think that they wouldn't need any help with putting a motor in the new concept car....just my .02

fixed :thefinger

ej20>3sgte

yeah this was brought up on nabisco and legacy gt a few months ago

you guys do know that toyota is tied in with subaru

The article says it will be rear-wheel drive, and powered by a Subaru 2.0 liter boxter engine

FRIED CHICKEN FOR EVERYONE!!!

nah, hes not biased at all

http://k53.pbase.com/u41/turbo16psi/upload/39563944.FWDsucks.jpg

actally me and a buddy were talking about swaps for the 3rd gen

looked like this

5vzfe
7mgte....to nose heavy
ej25t

i like either the 5vz or the ej25 , the ej25 has a low center of gravity and has a small size but would make torque and hp

id like to see it but knowing toyota and "new" subaru it will be fugly and/or girly looking

zmile06
01-06-2008, 04:21 PM
EH i have nothing against subaru engines...Or the company in general... They make good cars, fast cars. They are growing in ways toyota wants. I think if toyota actually puts a subaru engine in a toyota car thats fine... It's a stepping stone for toyota to building it's own more powerful sports car.

Besides that who cares subaru is a great company, i would like to see toyota build some mean turbo charged engines as well. Especially since they have had some success in the past. But it's not really that easy... Lots of R and D and charting into unknown territory for the new Gear Heads at toyota.