PDA

View Full Version : Can't get drivers side axel in...

zmile06
01-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I tried using a pry bar to get it in. I tried pushing it as hard as i could. Then i tried doing both. I can't get it in!

I get the teeth to grab but i can't get over the stupid clip. I'm starting to think about taking the clip out lol. Or bending it so it's easier to put it. Any tips guys?

cs363
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
You don't say what model Celica this is and what engine/gearbox you have but on most you just need to make sure that the snap ring is installed with the open end facing downwards and depending on the axle type either tapping the inner joint or the end of the axle with a soft hammer should do the trick.

zmile06
01-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry i forgot it's a 93 toyota celica st automatic. I'm going to fool with it tomorrow morning. Drivers side =)

SO the snap ring open end facing down wards?

cs363
01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Yep...on your car you should be able to seat the axle by tapping on the inner joint, a good sized copper hammer or similar should do it. Check that you haven't damaged or deformed the snap ring too much before you try fitting it. Basically you just have to 'shock' the snap ring to seat it. Just make sure you have the teeth lined up before beating on the axle! :)

zmile06
01-04-2008, 11:03 AM
It's hard to tap the inner joint on the drivers side there is no space... Tips tricks anything?

cs363
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
can you get a long drift or bar in there? If all else fails tap the end of the axle but don't get too heavy handed as you don't want to damage the CV joint.

zmile06
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I'll try to get a bar in there or something. I'm also trouble shooting where vaccume lines etc. go lol.

KoreanJoey
01-04-2008, 10:20 PM
One trick is before you put the axle in is to adjust the snap ring so that the open side of the snap ring is on the bottom, it just makes it so there's less of the snap ring that you have to clear and makes life just a little easier.

MarcusM2007
01-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Please DON'T use a hammer on the outer axel. I almost wrecked my entire axel trying to smash it in there. Just follow the other directions and keep the C clips opening facing downward.

cs363
01-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Please DON'T use a hammer on the outer axel. I almost wrecked my entire axel trying to smash it in there. Just follow the other directions and keep the C clips opening facing downward.

Note: I did not recommend 'smashing it with a hammer' tapping with a soft faced (copper) hammer is somewhat removed from what you are suggesting!
:eek:

If space really is tight (I'm guessing you don't have it on a hoist?) see if you can get hold of a bronze drift, and tap the inner joint in with that. But do not 'smash' it. If you have to hit it that hard something is wrong, either the axle is not lined up properly or the snap ring is deformed.

zmile06
01-05-2008, 03:56 AM
i ended up slightly tapping the outer spindel with a hammer very softly and it popped right in.

cs363
01-05-2008, 04:40 AM
i ended up slightly tapping the outer spindel with a hammer very softly and it popped right in.

Sweet! :bigthumbu

andy
01-06-2008, 01:53 AM
i had to hit the shit out of mine with a rubber malet. it poped in though. that ones a pain in the ass!