View Full Version : Crappy day

01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, so far the new year is starting out just great. I came home on Monday night to find that the power supply on my Sonicwall fried on me, so I had to crak the case open, and jury rig a 1U power supply from a server with the 20 pin connector to the mainboard on the firewall, and the 4 pin to a loose hanging motherboard from an old PC. Well, it works, except that I get yellow thermal alerts every now and then, with the case open. I was hoping I was getting the worst of it out of the way. I was wrong. Yes, it could have been a lot worse than it was today, but I was driving my fiance to work, and then I was going to head home, drop the car off, and hop on the subway to work. I was driving the GT. Well, the car had other ideas. I pull up at a light, and suddenly the car sputters and dies. Crap. I turn the key, cranks but never turns on. I'm thinking somethings wrong with the fuel lines, etc... First I check the fuse for the fuel pump, it's OK. I even try and push start the car, no luck. I know there is gas in the car, since i just filled up yesterday. I'm starting to think water in the tank. I always think the worst.
Well, I pull the spark plugs and look for anything leaking, like oil or something, since I did the valve cover gasket a while back myself. Nothing. So, I have my fiance turn the key, no spark.
OK, now I am thinking distributer. I pull the cover, no spark. Great, it is the distributer. So, I push the car to the side of the road, and walk 3/4 of a mile to Autozone. Drop $230 on a cap, rotor and distributer. Walk 3.4 of a mile back to the car (at least we were about a 10 minute walk from my fiance's work, so she left), and in the freezing cold change the distributer. Not too bad, my first time doing it, so I am proud of myself for that. But, I was corporate attire (tie, jacket, slacks, shirt, and overcoat) so the tie, jacket and overcoat had to come off. Now I'm freezing cold, hands dirty, and I missed a day of work, since I didn't finish until 4:00, and at that point, there was no point in even going in. Mind you, I left at 10:00 to take her to work. I just got home, after driving back to AZ and returning the core so I could at least get $60 back. One good thing, the AZ distributer has a lifetime warranty, but hopefully I'll never need it.
Not fun.
One question, before I popped the hood, I was trying to start the car, and after turning the key a few times, I would hear a grinding sound, kind of like the sound the car makes if you turn the key after the car is already on. Could I have damaged anything by doing that?
Should I have posted this in the Maintenance section?
Bleh, I'm home, but I still have the shivers from being out there so long in the cold.

01-02-2008, 11:22 PM
dude, that sucks. the grinding noise you heard is likely the starter not engaging the flywheel all the way. the drive pinion just didn't make it out far enough to mesh with the flywheel. it's nothing to worry about.

01-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Ya just dont to it alot or try not to or you might break a tooth off your flywheel gear, then your in some trouble.

01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
AZ as in Auto Zone.

For a moment I thought you meant Arizona.

Your situation sucks though...we're only three days into 2008 too.

01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks. Well, the car starts and runs, and all seems to be OK. I did it (made the grinding sound) a couple of times, but I'm assuming that if one of the flywheel gear teeth broke, I would have noticed a problem already, no?
Yes, it's now day 4 of 2008, and it will be worth it if I got all the bad luck out of the way early and I can have a very easy 2008.

01-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, Saturday was a fun day for me. I left the house with my girlfriend at 1:30 to take the cat to the vet. I go to the passenger side and unlock the door for her, and she asks me when I emptied out the glove compartment and put the contents all over the seat. I was standing there for a moment confused. Then she asked me what was all over the drivers seat. Glass. Everywhere. I stood there in shock for a moment, and then ran to the other side of the car. Someone smashed the drivers side window, went through everything in the car, and left it a mess. I went to pop the trunk, but noticed that the lock wasn't engaged and things from the trunk were in the back seat. Lovely.
So, I call the police, not a lot they could do except take a report. Then I found the one place open on a Saturday with the drivers side window for a 92 Celica in stock. $100, so not too bad, but damn, this sucks. At first I though that the lock was damaged also, but there must have been glass in it, since when they took off the door and cleaned the glass it worked. Not even filing with the insurance company, because $100 is a lot less than what they will do to me in the future.
It's a good thing that I got the window replaced when I did, because it poured Saturday night.
Whoever did this didn't walk away with very much, a cute little pistol grip screwdriver kit my GF gave me (sentimental more than monetary), my ipod charger and my Tom Tom charger. I don't keep anything in the car worth anything, but I was stupid. I left the holster for the Tom Tom attached to the window. My car wasn't the only car broken into. Another car two down from me also had it's window smashed.
Eh, I guess it could have been worse. I could have left the GPS in the car by accident, or my laptop (thankfully they didn't steal my $100 auto/air laptop charger).