PDA

View Full Version : Plans and goals for '08 for the 'vert and the AT

StormyBklyn
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, I've been mapping out my plans for both cars for the coming year, and this is what I think I am going to do this year:

All Trac:
I would love to source an engine/transmission from an ST215 (4th gen 3SGTE) and replace the 2nd gen JDM 3SGTE and transmission I have in there now. If not a 4th gen, at the very least a 3rd gen. My question with the ST215 engine, if I get a full clip, would I need to have any work done to the ECU?
Full exhaust
Swap out the stock struts with the cartridges from 185Performance
New Stage 2 clutch and flywheel (I doubt I'm going to go over ~250-260hp with a stock 3rd or 4th gen 3S)
TWM SS
BOV
FMIC
CS bumper and hood
underbody brace
rear strut bar
LSD
Clarion 675XP w/ navigation and 30GB HDD
New GReddy TT
Ungo SR9000 alarm w/ remote start (I always leave the car in neutral for the current turbo timer, so it's not like I'll risk leaving the car in gear)
New ST185 or GT-S leather seats.
New paint job (keep the car white, match the paint to the 'vert)
New carpeting
Wire the JDM folding mirrors. I have the relay and the switch, just need to find someone that can do the wiring.

'Vert:
Rebuild the old 3SGTE from the All Trac, pull the 5SFE. Drop the 3S into the 'Vert w/ TMIC - I'm not looking for super high HP on the 'vert, just a standard ~200-225 is fine with me.
Source a transmission from a MR2T and swap the transmission
Repaint the old ST185 hood and mount
TWM SS
JDM ST185 bumper
Coilovers
Front strut brace
Underbody brace (probably a good idea on a convertible)
Mount my Konig Monsoon 17x7.5" with a nice set of 215/45R17s
Clarion 675XP w/o navigation
Turbo timer
New paint job (keep the car white, match the paint to the ST185)
(Maybe) JDM folding mirrors.
(Maybe) HID's
(Maybe) White 16" rims

I've been stocking away some money all year to do this work in '08, so I am hoping by EOY '09 I will have them finished.
Does anyone have any advice? Anything I'm not thinking of? Anything else I should consider or substitute? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

celicatrd93
12-27-2007, 05:40 PM
g/l man those seem like some nice plans. let us know how it turns out.....

StormyBklyn
12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I'll put up pics as the work is going on. I'm expecting the JDM bumper/fenders next week, so once I get those, I'm sanding and primering them, then mounting on the 'vert. Also waiting on my RC bumper. Hood will come last, after the FMIC, and that won't be done until I get the new engine. While I have everything off, I think then I'll install the braces/struts. Once the engine work is done, into the body shop for a new paint job.

Fuelish
12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Sounds like you've got a plan goin' on :cool: Hopefully your vert's top is in better condition than mine (no leaks yet, but a couple seams seperating from dry rotting threads, with a small area/same problem around the rear window).
The 3SGTE and underbody brace sound like an excellent idea - wish I had the time and energy (and funds ;) ) to do that. Keep us posted !!!

StormyBklyn
12-27-2007, 07:10 PM
*keeping fingers crosse* The roof is in good shape, and for a 17 year old car, the window is nice and clear, but the liner inside is ripped a little above the passenger side. If money permits, I would love to get a beige roof for the car, but that's after everything else is done to it. I don't think I've ever seen a 5th gen 'vert with a beige roof.

mike325ci
01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
what brace are you using: cusco or the custom made one (i think by someone on this board or was it alltrac.net?)...

and i'm not sure if the gen4 3sgte would be a good thing-- probably too pricey for what it is. you said you'll keep it stock, so stock for stock it is an upgrade, but as you already probably know, the turbo/manifold is one piece so upgrades to either is not so simple.

and by the way, i notice you're in brooklyn. as i always say, i have not seen a single alltrac celica on the road here around nyc in person (other than meets), so of course i haven't seen your car, but maybe i will...?

things never go as planned, and thing always pop up. it's so hard to find time for my cars lately, but i'm slowing working on "restoring" my ST185 as well. by the way, the carpeting is going to be a beeeeeeeeeeeatch. i will never do that again, lol. but the car smells "new" and nice now, lol...

Joeye27
01-13-2008, 05:37 AM
cant wait to see that vert

StormyBklyn
01-15-2008, 06:12 AM
what brace are you using: cusco or the custom made one (i think by someone on this board or was it alltrac.net?)...

and i'm not sure if the gen4 3sgte would be a good thing-- probably too pricey for what it is. you said you'll keep it stock, so stock for stock it is an upgrade, but as you already probably know, the turbo/manifold is one piece so upgrades to either is not so simple.

and by the way, i notice you're in brooklyn. as i always say, i have not seen a single alltrac celica on the road here around nyc in person (other than meets), so of course i haven't seen your car, but maybe i will...?

things never go as planned, and thing always pop up. it's so hard to find time for my cars lately, but i'm slowing working on "restoring" my ST185 as well. by the way, the carpeting is going to be a beeeeeeeeeeeatch. i will never do that again, lol. but the car smells "new" and nice now, lol...

I was going to go with the custom braces. I believe Conrad (on this board) makes them.

I didn't know that the Caldina isn't really upgradeable, but I really, really want the VVTi and turbo :) And a whole clip will make the transplant very easy. And I don't think $3000 for a "stock" 260hp engine is all THAT much.

I've seen two or three All Tracs in the area. Back in 99 I saw a black one that I was going to buy, but went with this one in 2001. There is also a black 90 or 91 ST185 in Queens, I would see it every morning going to work when I was working over at Steve Madden in LIC. A few times I parked my 185 a car or two away from this one. I should have snapped a picture of them together. I used to see a red one around Brooklyn every now and then, but I haven't seen it in a few years.

I've had my 185 since 2001, and I used to drive it everywhere. I don't drive it all that much anymore, since I don't want to keep putting mileage on it.

When both our cars are rebuilt, we should take them out for a spin, show off these classics!

StormyBklyn
01-15-2008, 06:13 AM
cant wait to see that vert

Nor can I. I have to build up the All Trac first, so I can pull the engine and put it in the 'vert, and take the hood from the All Trac and put it on.

celicatrd93
01-16-2008, 10:31 PM
any updates. what are you looking to do first?

DarkSideCelica
01-17-2008, 01:19 AM
is there such a thing as an ST215? plans look good tho

StormyBklyn
01-17-2008, 04:49 PM
any updates. what are you looking to do first?
Well, I have the fenders for the All Trac, and the bumper for the 'vert. First thing, find a shop that will do the swap for the Caldina engine and transmission. I think I found a place out in NJ that has experience with All Tracs, so one weekend I'm going to check them out and see the operations. I don't want just anybody working on my baby. All Trac has to come first, so that way I can pull the current 3S for the GT.
Next step is to put away the funds to buy a Caldina clip, ~$3000. Maybe 2 or 3 months, then find a good one on ebay or from an importer. At the same time buy a good FMIC and the CS bumper and hood. So I think for the parts I am looking at around $4000-$4500, and another $1000-$1500 for the work.
I'm budgeting around $7000 for the entire All Trac project.
Since I'll have the 3S already, I'm thinking around another $3000 for the Convertible, with the rebuild and suspension work. I should also have everything I need for the convertible, because if I get a clip from a Caldina, I will already have the wiring harness and ECU, and I can pull the 2nd gen ECU from the All Trac and use it in the convertible.

StormyBklyn
01-17-2008, 04:50 PM
is there such a thing as an ST215? plans look good tho
ST215 is the Caldina All Trac (think AWD turbo Matrix). 4th gen 3S-GTE, ~260 hp, VVTi, AWD, etc...

VikingJZ
01-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan set. Good luck and post pictures when you get them.