PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on a 91 MR2

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
12-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Ok so since my car is broke,my uncle is having his peoples look into some things for my engine situation, and today talking with some peep at my work, a guy there said he has a friend who wants to sell his 91 mr2 with 110,000 miles on it, for 700 dollars...i think he said its NA and im assuming that means it comes with the 5sfe? anyway, is this a good deal? it also is not painted he said and has diff colored hood and a bumper or something along those lines...so is this good price? i mean i think i bought my celi for a lil cheaper than this but it did have like 175000 on it which is 65000 more than this one......although it was painted...anyway, tell me what yall think...please, thanks in advance.

alltracman78
12-27-2007, 05:06 AM
IMO as long as the chassis is solid [no real rust or damage] and the interior is in decent condition get it, NA or not.

And yes, NA MR2 means 5SFE.

celica91gts
12-27-2007, 05:14 AM
post pics and we'll be able to tell you yes or no. =)

celica91gts
12-27-2007, 05:15 AM
oo. also check the title. u dont want a salvaged car.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
12-27-2007, 05:22 AM
k thanks for the suggestions...ill ask my co worker within the next few days about it, i would like to hear back from my uncle first to see what he wants to do with my car now and how much that is going to cost me, im getting in financial aid about two weeks into the new year so it will also have to wait for that :-)!!

zmile06
12-27-2007, 05:30 AM
I would buy it with a torn up interior and 200k for that price... Thats just me though, i want a Mr2 =(

The good thing about that year MR2 The didn't come with clear coat anyways so a paint job would actually be a good investment. Just make sure it is done RIGHT, spend the extra money when/if you do it.

defiantly check for all rust, under body especially. Last thing you want to do is buy a car then figure out the frame is rusted to hell. Also check the trunks engine bay etc. Move stuff around. Some times cars can let water in there and it car rust because of weather stripping wearing etc. (not a known issue with the mr2) But anything can happen.

If it doesn't have rust on any non replaceable parts i would buy it... If there is any rust around the rear fenders frame etc. I would stay away unless it's very minor rust that can be fixed cheap. I would expect good interior for that millage.

Just make sure it's not salvage low mile mr2 with different color body parts is a little fishy...

Cavanagh
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I'd get it.

Trance4c
12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
All the different body parts only tells me one thing - something happened to the car.. find out what.

If its something like alltracman78 was hinting at, frame damage, structural issues.. etc. I would steer clear.

Infact.. at that price, sounds like the person wants to dump it.. if anything, you'll be dealing with another project car that needs lots of fixes. If thats not something you can take on right now, I'd steer clear of it anyway.

Murgatroy
12-29-2007, 12:14 AM
All the different body parts only tells me one thing - something happened to the car.. find out what.

If its something like alltracman78 was hinting at, frame damage, structural issues.. etc. I would steer clear.

Infact.. at that price, sounds like the person wants to dump it.. if anything, you'll be dealing with another project car that needs lots of fixes. If thats not something you can take on right now, I'd steer clear of it anyway.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Different colored body panels always means damage. There are rare situations where someone upgrades a hood, fender or nosepiece and doesn't get it painted, but if it is stock body panels and they don't match, that means it was smacked once upon a time.

Cavanagh
12-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Good points guys....

Joeye27
12-29-2007, 03:56 AM
get it!

celicatrd93
12-29-2007, 08:07 PM
grab it while ou can........as long as it is in good condition.