PDA

View Full Version : Uhh is my transmission supose to be this exposed?

zmile06
12-27-2007, 02:40 AM
I pulled my engine and transmission out and i'm wondering why the hell my transmission has a huge access hole to it... Should i go i try to find this part some place or what? Does anyone know the toyota code for it?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/zztrent/3-1.jpg

Carolina91GT-S
12-27-2007, 03:01 AM
looks like you have a chunk missing...

zmile06
12-27-2007, 03:17 AM
Yeah all i can think of is it flew off when the engine blew? There is a bottom bottom that looks like something belongs there?

There is no way the engine took out the transmission is there? Or visa versa? Anyone want to help me out on this one?

Mr Celica
12-27-2007, 03:20 AM
pretty sure thats just an access hole to get to the flywheel nuts if you're doing a clutch without removing the engine.

zmile06
12-27-2007, 03:21 AM
It's an automatic on the engine... I really need to know if i should get this thing covered or if it actually blew or what. Or if i should just leave it open because toyota mechanics are weird?

I would really appreciate any and all help guys! I need to get this engine put in this weekend so please let me know.

Mr Celica
12-27-2007, 03:27 AM
an automatic has a flywheel, too, btw.

its an access hole. plain and simple. it allows you to unbolt the flywheel from the clutch and/or tourque converter.

it should have a little metal plate on it that covers it, but its not the end of the world if its missing.

zmile06
12-27-2007, 03:29 AM
I would still like to have it covered since the engine is pulled anyone know if toyota has the part or anyone know someone who has one;)

Thanks for not point out my stupidity about automatics not having a fly wheel. I thought they did but i've never dealed with an automatic fly wheel so i wasn't sure. (nice peeps at C-Tech w00t_

Mr Celica
12-27-2007, 03:31 AM
haha np

not sure off hand if they have a part number for that. im sure you could fabricate one with some sheet metal for cheaper then they would charge you. i might have an auto tranny sitting around, ill take a peep tomorrow if i get a chance.

Hookecho
12-27-2007, 03:43 AM
it's a meat grinder.

extremeskillz
12-27-2007, 03:43 AM
.......or go to the dealership and order one! Or even better junk yard.

Murgatroy
12-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Automatics don't have a flywheel.

It is called a Flexplate.

andy
12-27-2007, 03:58 AM
dood just throw some duct tape on that bitch. (really that would work)

Mr Celica
12-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Automatics don't have a flywheel.

It is called a Flexplate.

but they do the same thing, right?

alltracman78
12-27-2007, 04:15 AM
Yes and no.

Both physically connect the crank to the transmission.

The flywheel has a friction surface the clutch disc grabs to.

The flex plate just bolts to the torque converter. The "grabbing" action [via fluid instead of a disc] happens inside the TC instead of on the flex plate.

I haven't seen an acess hole like that on a Celica [doesn't mean it's not supposed to be there] before. Your engine blowing didn't do that, it looks like it's supposed to be that way.
What year is your car?

If it really bothers you you can get one without a hole [the black metal plate with the bolts in it] and replace the one you have with it.

zmile06
12-27-2007, 05:22 AM
It just bothers me because it looks unsafe... That big of a hole just laying around if it gets a rock in it i could be fux0red...

I might have a local fabrication guy make one he will probable do it for like 40 bucks or something.

I tried to find auto transmission near me there are none :-/ So thats why i'm using this one.

It's a 93 ST btw.

I just don't want to pull the transmission in the next year or two only one major car project within a year :-P

TheNefariousOne
12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes and no.

Both physically connect the crank to the transmission.

The flywheel has a friction surface the clutch disc grabs to.

The flex plate just bolts to the torque converter. The "grabbing" action [via fluid instead of a disc] happens inside the TC instead of on the flex plate.

I haven't seen an acess hole like that on a Celica [doesn't mean it's not supposed to be there] before. Your engine blowing didn't do that, it looks like it's supposed to be that way.
What year is your car?

If it really bothers you you can get one without a hole [the black metal plate with the bolts in it] and replace the one you have with it.

You can't replace it with one without the access holes. If you do that, there'll be no way to access the flexplate-to-converter bolts and thus no way to install it.

BTW, the cover is actually plastic, not metal. A metal one might work, but it's supposed to be plastic. Just hit a local u-pull-it and grab one.

alltracman78
12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Yes you can.

You remove the whole plate [5 bolts?].
This way there is no hole for dirt/debris to get in.

The plate has to come off regardless, if you're pulling the trans.
It's bolted to both the engine block and the trans.

As for plastic and not metal, that might be a A vs S engine thing.
I've only seen metal ones, but I've never pulled one from an A series engine, so I can't tell you there are metal ones for the A engines.
I also don't know for sure if that hole is an A engine thing, once again, I've never seen one on a S engine.
You might not be able to get one for the 4AFE with no hole. :shrug:

Ajilon
12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
dood just throw some duct tape on that bitch. (really that would work)

Spoken like a true southerner!

Luni
12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
My E153 tranny in my MR2 has that access hole in it. Mine is to check the clutch disk life or some such crap.

Borinal
12-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Isn't it an access/dust cover? Pretty sure my mr2 has something similar with a HARD black rubber referred to as a 'dust cover' but obviously used for some form of access.

Luni
12-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes sir. Its just a Dust Cover.

TheNefariousOne
12-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Yes you can.

You remove the whole plate [5 bolts?].
This way there is no hole for dirt/debris to get in.

The plate has to come off regardless, if you're pulling the trans.
It's bolted to both the engine block and the trans.

As for plastic and not metal, that might be a A vs S engine thing.
I've only seen metal ones, but I've never pulled one from an A series engine, so I can't tell you there are metal ones for the A engines.
I also don't know for sure if that hole is an A engine thing, once again, I've never seen one on a S engine.
You might not be able to get one for the 4AFE with no hole. :shrug:

Yes, but on an automatic, you have to remove the bolts connecting the flexplate to the conveter to remove the trans. This cannot be done without that access hole. The whole plate doesn't have to come off if you're only pulling the transmission either.