PDA

View Full Version : How wide can you make the stance on a 5th gen?

Carolina91GT-S
12-27-2007, 01:04 AM
I am thinking about a project Celica, not my normal one, just something for fun and it wouldn't matter how long it took...How wide could you make the stance on a 5th gen? Forget about fender clearance, just with wider wheels and offsets/spacers how far out can you go maximum?

I like the look of the messiah kit but not gonna pay the $$ they want for something like that. I am interested in trying to approximate the lines by glassing up some custom fenders etc...But the end result will require the wheels to be have a wider stance. I am just curious how wide can you make them without having to change axles/hubs/struts etc...then I can make fenders to match up with the stance.

cms-gt4
12-28-2007, 04:29 AM
Gtfour77 on at.net ran 17x10s with 315s on his. The messiah car uses F 18x10 275/35/18 & R 18x10.5 315/30/18. I run 17x9 with 255/40/17. I forgot the specs of the savage car, but i think the rears were in the 17x9 range. It was a FWD car and sold the wheels custom made for the celica offset and all.

You could go fairly wide with the wheels however finding affordable wheels in those widths/offsets in a 5x100 bolt pattern might be tough. If you bought some CCWs or some other custom wheels you could make it work. Or you will need to change out your hubs to another bolt pattern with more common wheels.

Here is a PS of the CCWs I did on an gtfour.
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/8272/wht185ccwsra9.jpg

There is also the matter of how wide you want to go and how much you are willing to spend.

I bet you could run some 10" wide wheels all around if you wanted to w/o having to change much.

Here is some math for you.
17x9 w/ a 30et fits almost flush to the stock front fender. A 10et or something in the range would be what the rear would need to be flush.
So if you wanted to extend the fenders (X) then you would need to reduce the offset and maybe add width to the wheels.

You might be able to run a 10" wheel in the back with a 0 offset and would need to add maybe a 1" flare to the rear. Unless you use spacers you may need to use a negative offset rear wheel to fit larger flares. It may be hard to acheive this.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Here is a celica with fender flares and some wide wheels.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/NissanSkyline901/217.jpg

KoreanJoey
12-28-2007, 12:26 PM
If you switch to a coil over setup you can also remove your spring perch giving you more clearance w/ taller wheels going into the wheel well.

extremeskillz
12-28-2007, 01:14 PM
im running 18x8 with 215/35hr/18 tires and i thought were wide. I could go 225 wide tires but could afford the price at the time. If i were to do it over again i would go 18x9.5 front and 18x10 rear with the respected tire that matched. For now these will do and look great on the car. Yes you can get custom wheels made but thats were it get pricey unless the manufacture makes them already available individually priced. THe reason y i didn't go wider in the rear is because one i got a good deal on a 4 package with these wheels i got and they were 5x100. so i took avantage of them. Im going to do just spacers in the rear to push them out a little more. one day ill just order the correct wheel and offsets that i want probably the same style wheel as well.

I running hankook tires btw. FOr the price they are great tires and very strong. I didn't believe it at first but they hold up well considering i haven't put many miles on them yet.

Carolina91GT-S
12-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the goos info guys...keep it coming.

The messiah uses 10's? that can't be on the standard hub with no offset can it?

The 10" wide wheels with no offset would put the outside of the wheels how much farther apart then if the stockers are 15x6.5? does that make the outside of the wheels 7" farther from each other? I would like to aim for getting the outside edge of each wheel to be 8-10" farther out than stock, can this be done? The I can custom make fenders to match up with them

Does anyone have detailed pics of coil overs installed. I am still learning abou suspension stuff and don't fully it yet. Thanks

cms-gt4
12-28-2007, 08:21 PM
I was wrong. Gtfour77 uses 17x11s with 25mm hub adapters. So subract 25mm from a 17x11 w/ 35et. So its the same as running a 10et on a 17x11 wheel. His rears use the 25mm spacer and 12et.

See pics in the link.
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=229322&highlight=#229322