PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my car, for this?

nunley
12-23-2007, 06:18 AM
I sold my 5th gen a few years ago and I want another celica! :(

Right now I have a 2000 dodge neon with srt-4 bumpers and spray painted black to match. No mechanical problems at all. 170,000 miles. no power options at all, and upgraded suspension.

Someone is offering me a 1995 celica ST coupe. it's a clean teal body with black interior and power sunroof. 5speed. no cruise. 220k on car with 100k on a fresh motor.

Would You do it? I want another celica really bad and I can't find a liftback.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/matt_nunley/prom%202006/PICT0003.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/matt_nunley/prom%202006/PICT0001.jpg

here's the celica:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/matt_nunley/prom%202006/Jonahs95st.jpg
He will be adding nice enkei wheels with new tires. and putting in the new motor this week with new timing belt and maybe new clutch.

My neon will come with no stereo, no rims, and no paint job which it needs badly (about $500+ right there)

let me know, thanks

Murgatroy
12-23-2007, 06:33 AM
You will be going from 4 doors to 2, and from a Dodge to a Toyota.

You will also be losing 5 years and gaining a lot of miles.

I would be asking for some boot.

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 06:35 AM
You will be going from 4 doors to 2, and from a Dodge to a Toyota.

You will also be losing 5 years and gaining a lot of miles.

I would be asking for some boot.

Agreed...

nunley
12-23-2007, 06:47 AM
How much money would make the trade fair?

and the neon gets 30 miles/gallon. What does a 1.8l celica usually get?

thanks for the responses so far

Murgatroy
12-23-2007, 06:50 AM
I have the 4AFE, the 1.6 version of that engine, and I average 35mpg.

Essentially the only thing the Celica has going for it is the fact it is a Toyota. Not running now (an engine doesn't mean it will run) and such high mileage is a downer. I assume you don't need a 4 door car, so that might be a plus as well.

I was told as a kid, never trade down. This means in years or quality. I live by this. Sure, Toyotas are dead reliable, but if the car isn't in perfect operable condition now, odds are fair there are gonna be some gremlins.

I would be asking for at least $500-$1,000 boot, if the car were in running shape.

bloodredgt
12-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Don't do it. The celica looks like it had some problems. Sure there's a 100k on the engine that's being put in, but there will be 220k on the transmission. At 220k on the chassis, I'm willing to bet that you'll have other things go wrong with the car that are regular maintainence but add up really quick (ie: shocks going out, tranny giving you trouble, window motors running slow or dying, bulbs going out). Just my 2 cents.

Slider
12-23-2007, 07:28 AM
What everyone else said x2 keep your car. I get these stupid instinct moments to buy project cars also but I think it out and it's really not worth it until I'm settled down. Just drive it till it dies.

geebes
12-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Hmmm...if you want another celica so bad, just wait longer. That one seems kinda ghetto. Check ur local craigslist...i don't know where you live in ohio but I saw this one in cleveland Alltrac baby! http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/512953520.html

The Captain
12-23-2007, 02:17 PM
^^^what he said.

x2

Hookecho
12-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Do Not Trade

YOU'LL REGRET IT.

celicatrd93
12-23-2007, 08:27 PM
dont rush take your time. maybe a better car will come up.

grayscale
12-24-2007, 02:02 AM
What's the bluebook difference between the two? I'd trade the neon for the Celica+$2k. I don't want to get down on your car but as it is a Dodge I don't imagine it having more than 40k more good miles in it before it starts to need higher level maintenance. You should also see if you can get any records on the celica, maybe carfax. The $2k would be enough for you to set the celica straight though.

donteatbugs
12-24-2007, 02:12 AM
i wouldnt trade. the neon is ok for now and it takes a while to get a celica the way you want it and a lot of money.

Mr Celica
12-24-2007, 02:24 AM
no because its a coupe. wait for a better condition hatch (gt) and then do it. pretty sure your neon is faster than that thing as it is. it looks in rough shape AND it doesn't run. so don't do it.

donteatbugs
12-24-2007, 04:10 AM
plus those neon wheels look good on a 5th gen hatch.

nunley
12-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Hmmm...if you want another celica so bad, just wait longer. That one seems kinda ghetto. Check ur local craigslist...i don't know where you live in ohio but I saw this one in cleveland Alltrac baby! http://cleveland.craigslist.org/car/512953520.html

I already e-mailed that guy... no response

Unless this guy puts up some money with it I probably won't trade.

I guess i'm feeling a little guilty though, b/c he went and got a new clutch for it and pulled the engine out to put in a newer one because he really likes my neon.

Bluebook is actually Higher for the celica :wtf:
Toyotas hold good value...

I'm going back down there soon and will post video or pics of the celica when he finishes it and show you guys

MERRY CHRISTMAS

VikingJZ
12-24-2007, 06:41 AM
That's a really aweful picture of that Celica.

I would say its a toss up. I encourage everyone to buy a Toyota, but it may be best to wait to find a perfect match. If your car runs and drives fine, keep it until you find the perfect Celica for you.

I had a 5G coupe and loved the car. I swore up and down I'd never get rid of it.

I ended up trading my GT for a Lexus SC300 in really great condition--save for the dent in one fender. The car is a dream.

This one actually isn't leaving me...its just too nice.

donteatbugs
12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
i wanted an sc300 5spd, i ended up with a 90 alltrac

extremeskillz
12-24-2007, 05:46 PM
lets put it this way. Whats your budget? can you take on a car that has 100+ miles with no knowledge in where its been. When i bought mine 5 years ago with 86,000 on it i did a huge background on it. Come to find out it was well maintained and im the second owner. With 5 years into it and only 107,000 miles i know the car inside and out.

Your going from a newer, updated car to and old car with potiential problems. If you def want a celica as a project or even a project for everyday use please search harder for a better car. there are plenty out there. you probably won't find one like mine in its great condition but even semi good is better then nothing or at least that car.