PDA

View Full Version : Tearing the car apart...

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 03:05 AM
So, today officially marks day 1 of tearing the car apart...

Today I tore the strut bar (is that what that is, in the engine) and painted it, I had nothing other than red caliper paint or metallic silver, I chose the silver, it turned out chrome-ish...

My initial attempt for today, was to take the wheels off, strip them, and paint them... but that didn't happen, (the wheels are rusted(?) to the rotor, and won't come off, gonna bring it to a shop) so, I still ended up stripping the paint off them... then I had this brilliant idea, to remove the crappy ass purple tint on the windows... so, I decided, I was going to tear the interior apart as well... and here I have a few questions...

How do I remove the paneling inside, by the rear seats? I got all the screws and stuff, out, and pulled all the tabs, but something is still holding it there...

Do the little metal latches for the rear seat top have to come out?

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the rear speakers out, and pull the door panels off, and tint the door windows, and the little windows(if I have enough tint.) I'm doing 2.5% on the whole thing. :-) :thefinger

david in germany
12-23-2007, 04:32 AM
seats have to come out before the panels. Once you have all the screws out thy should pop right out.
David

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 04:39 AM
How do I get the seats out?

Prolly not hard, hey?

celica91gts
12-23-2007, 04:44 AM
ur wheels are rusted on? try just lossening the lug nuts and jack it back down on the ground.

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Tried it, they stayed right where they were...

mikeboot
12-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Just support the vehicle well and put one lug on the wheel a few turns and start hitting it from the back side on the rubber with a hammer, should come off.

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 05:01 AM
Ya, I'm just gonna bring it to my local gas station/service shop, the dude there worked on my truck a few times, and he does really good work, for really cheap prices... like maybe 5 bucks to knock the tires loose and put em back on...

Murgatroy
12-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Just support the vehicle well and put one lug on the wheel a few turns and start hitting it from the back side on the rubber with a hammer, should come off.
That is a method I have used many times.

In a pinch I have used a ball bat on the front side. I normally do it without the lugs on period, just jack it up and give it a few good licks, it should pop right off.

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 05:32 AM
See, I thought about that, but like, the car sat for a year, so there is a TON of rustiness...

And when I tried to pop it free, nothign happened, but I think my driver side rear caliper is froze... or something, it's still REALLY sticky...

And the back right brake makes a weird grinding sound, when I hand rotate the wheel...

Could this be from the rotors? Or is it more than likely a caliper issue?

tuner4life
12-23-2007, 06:01 AM
isn't 2.5% just a little dark?? I would go no darker than 20%, or else visibility will suck, not to mention cops...

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Ya, it is dark... but the celica isn't going to be my daily driver...

I have my 06 Dakota as my daily driver, the windows on that are 20% on the doors, and 1% (stock 20%, then layer of 5%) and I can see out the rear fine...

celica91gts
12-23-2007, 09:22 AM
dude.... i got a ticket for my windows being 29% tint. the legal limit is 35%. but then again i got an ass of a cop that day. i had my windows halfway down and he was in frount of me. pulled into the dirt, waited till i passed.... and then hit the siren... what a bitch.

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I avoid cops...

Legal limit in Michigan for tint on doors is, well, you're not allowed to have tint on them... but I've been driving around 7 months now, with 20% on them, and if you look at it from an angle, looks completely black...

I can't imagine anything different w/ 2.5%...

Cavanagh
12-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Just take your lug nuts off, and give the tire a good boot a few times.

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Ok, how in the helllllllllllll do I remove the rear seat???

I tried pulling, tried everything, are there bolts holding it there?

Or what's up? Someone help, please.

:-)

Frenchy
12-24-2007, 05:36 AM

...?

Ghosty
12-24-2007, 09:27 AM

Look for two black locking mechanisms. They are located near the front edge of the seat, about square with the middle of each cushion.

That's what's holding them in place. I think.

Make sure your passenger seat belts clear their openings on the way out, or your seat will get caught. But that shouldn't be a problem. Just pop the damn things out.

Frenchy
12-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Ok, I found those, but what do I do with them? are they clips, or what are they?

Newbster
12-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Pull them straight towards the front IIRC.

Frenchy
12-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, I had to slide them towards the center, I believe, holy man, does that make the interior removal a LOT easier!!!

Frenchy
12-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Ok, when I remove door panels, do I just remove the 4 screws, and then pull off? Or, how's this go?