PDA

View Full Version : Bad News...need new engine..any ideas?

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
12-23-2007, 02:35 AM
Ok well we checked my engine tonight, took off the valve cover and took off the cams, cams in perfect condition, when we took off the cams, valves were fine and nothing there was damaged so diagnosis= the broken thing is in the block, uncle and I figured it was a snapped rod and i figured thats what was making the knocking noise tosseing the piston and one half of the rod back and forth up and down etc. what do yall think of that??....any way, we figured it would be much better cost and labor wise to just find a new engine and just do a swap and what not so he is going to look for a new engine for me (another 4afe most likely)...but also, since the head and all its components are good, we talked about trying to find just the block, so i suggested to him the 4age block and how that bolts right up to the 4afe (if i remember reading this correctly...if im not mistaken, didnt dascorcha do that for his set up? 4afe head and 4age block because it can withstand more power right??)...but ya, then i am also thinking about doing some engine work with the new engine or new "setup" whatever happens there...and with that would it be worth doing that??? along with that i would like to slap a turbo on there cuz i figure if im gonna be having engine work done i might as well throw some power into it...yes yes i know i only have a st and 4afe and all yall think its not worth the money to do it, but to me, im not getting rid of my car anytime soon because the body and frame is in mint cond. and i love her to death so i gotta work with what i got...so any who...any suggestions or ideas on what i should do...full engine swap? 4afe head/4age block?...and either way i go should i do engine work? ...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
12-23-2007, 02:46 AM
o ya.. i do have some pics...will post later if any interest...nothing exciting, just pics with valve cover off, then some with cams out...

Ghosty
12-23-2007, 05:45 PM
If this is your daily driver, then just drop in another 4AFE from a newer model year of Corolla. It's reliable and economical.

If this is not your daily driver, consider the 4AGE 20v swap from a front clip of an AE111 Levin BZ-R (1992 - 2002 I think).

The front clip would also come with a 6-speed transmission equipped with a 1.5-way LSD...

Cavanagh
12-23-2007, 06:03 PM
go 4AGE 20V.

Ghosty
12-23-2007, 06:46 PM
go 4AGE 20V.

Hells yeah go frekin 4AGE 20v!

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Stupid question, what is 4AGE?

Like, what's the difference?

90CelicaST
12-23-2007, 07:10 PM
I've never seen this many ST owners in once place, better post before the flamers get here.

Like said, if it is your daily driver, go with another 4AFE, or if you can get the entire setup, go with a 7AFE. If you can stand to go without your car for a bit, def. pick up a 4AGE 20v Silvertop. Wiring is the hardest part, so make sure you have someone who knows their wiring. www.celicatech.com/Colossus20v (http://www.celicatech.com/Colossus20v) is a good source of info.

Frenchy, the 4AGE 16v is still a 1.6L DOHC motor, but has a performance-type head(thus the 'G'). The 4AGE 20v is a 1.6 DOHC motor with VariableValveTiming and 5 valves per cylinder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4AGE#4A-G_.2816-valve.29

Frenchy
12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Ahhh, makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up.

Kiasis
12-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Attarco in Sacramento has a silvertop for $750. Don't know if that's a good price or not....

http://www.attarco.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=2&products_id=6

160 HP? Really?

90CelicaST
12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
To the crank...
I payed $700 for my Silvertop/trans/cut harness, like $100+cut harness for a full Silvertop Harness, and like $200 for a Blacktop ECU.

Ghosty
12-24-2007, 09:16 AM
To the crank...
I payed $700 for my Silvertop/trans/cut harness, like $100+cut harness for a full Silvertop Harness, and like $200 for a Blacktop ECU.

But what kind of other expenses did you incur by swapping?

celicatrd93
12-24-2007, 04:56 PM
If this is your daily driver, then just drop in another 4AFE from a newer model year of Corolla. It's reliable and economical.

If this is not your daily driver, consider the 4AGE 20v swap from a front clip of an AE111 Levin BZ-R (1992 - 2002 I think).

The front clip would also come with a 6-speed transmission equipped with a 1.5-way LSD...
+2 nothing much else to say :bigthumbu

but if you wanted to go turbo then go turbo. replace those pistons, and a fresh rebuilt, including gaskets and seals, clutch and then the most important your turbo kit. which is a whole new topic......let us know

90CelicaST
12-24-2007, 06:45 PM
But what kind of other expenses did you incur by swapping?
Haven't swapped yet.

Ghosty
12-24-2007, 09:08 PM
+2 nothing much else to say :bigthumbu

but if you wanted to go turbo then go turbo. replace those pistons, and a fresh rebuilt, including gaskets and seals, clutch and then the most important your turbo kit. which is a whole new topic......let us know

Turbo charging can be a fun project, and the 4AFE can certainly take a beating in that respect.

But honestly, for all the time, money and energy put into turboing a 4AFE, you could get the same gains by simply swapping a 4AGE 20v blacktop. And you wouldn't have to worry as much about relyability, especially if you keep the motor stock and on the stock ECU with your run-of-the-mill boltons.

Besides, who DOESN'T want a 6 speed and an LSD transmission? All in one! Included in the freaking clip!!! All from $2,500 - $3,000!!!

Having said that, turboing the 4AFE is not at all a worthless project. You will get gains, some modest gains. And it will make the car sportier. And you could be proud of the project.

Both projects cost about the same. As far as which is more labor intensive, and which requires more fabrication, I can't say. Someone else here might know.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
12-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and input, i will take all of them and put them into consideration...my uncle is doing most of the work for me (both in looking for the motor or block whichever we decide, and also the install in which he will take to his work and have them do it there for me but any hoo) so i will have to see what he says whether he wants to just drop in another 4afe cuz that will be easiest or if he will just buy a block and do that since the head is in perfect condition...and about that, i didnt notice anyone one saying anything about the 4afe/4age in one ...not a good way to go?...like i said before i think i remember reading that if you put a 4age block on a 4afe head, you wont need to change the wiring at all because it all has to do with the head and what not , and that the 4age block can withstand more power... is this right??? correct me if im not, i would like to learn more about this seeing as i will be with my ST for awhile

Cavanagh
12-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Besides, who DOESN'T want a 6 speed and an LSD transmission? All in one! Included in the freaking clip!!! All from $2,500 - $3,000!!!

I'm pretty sure the 6 speed doesn't work with our cars.....i may be wrong but i THOUGHT i heard that.

90CelicaST
12-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Requires a bit of metal work for the longer case to fit, but it can be done *I think*

celicatrd93
12-25-2007, 04:48 PM
yes it can be done. seen them done on only 1-2 celicas and a few corollas. they owners are very happy with the outcome, said it took a bit time and money but worth it..... 91 celica st is the man for the turbo questions, but like you said your best bet is to keep the car with a 4afe or go the extra mile and drop in the 4age 20v.