PDA

View Full Version : '91 Vert - parts question

NealWright
12-23-2007, 02:22 AM
Couple quick questions ...

1. Anybody know where to get new weatherstripping? Does the dealer still offer it, how much?

2. Anybody ever replaced a back window? I know it's a 2pc, but not sure I know how to replace.

Thanks, Neal

Fuelish
12-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey, Neal ....

1. Anybody know where to get new weatherstripping? Does the dealer still offer it, how much? I have a '92 vert, needed just the strip above the driverside rear window, like 13" long, and the dealer quoted me some $300+ :eek: ....
Luckily, I was able to pick up ALL the roof stripping (albeit used) and clear corners/bumper lenses as well from someone on here last year who was parting out their old vert, for next to nothing. I guess the dealer cost is so high is because the conversion was done by ASC, as opposed to factory Toyota, so replacement parts are gonna be harder to find and not cheap. On that note, when I bought my car, the tonneau cover had been stolen from one of the previous owners, and I prefer the look of the vert top being covered when down, instead of looking like a "baby buggy" kind of look, so I really wanted one. Dealer wanted $1200 :eek: !!!!! LMAO ..... was able to pick up a used (in new condition) from someone who had sold their '93 vert and had forgotten to include the tonneau cover, and couldn't get ahold of them, so it was sold to me for $100 shipped. Unless you insist on having to have brand new parts, you'd be best served watching the forums for folks parting out their verts, as they are rarer (in terms of proprietary, specific parts, obviously) than most Celis.

2. Anybody ever replaced a back window? I know it's a 2pc, but not sure I know how to replace.

I haven't, but am going to have to sometime next year - one of the previous owners of mine had the window replaced at some point, but whoever did it just hacked out the original and sewed a new one in behind it - looks ok from the outside, but it's really half-assed way of doing it and threads are starting to dry rot so there's a gap where threads have pulled that let H2O in when it rains hard :( Also, the threads on the front part of the roof are seperating as well....am debating on taking my vert to the local custom canvas shop and see if they can resew the roof line and rear window (although as I understand it, to do it properly, they need to remove the roof from the car, so the concensus is that if you're going to have that much labor done, you might as well just replace the entire roof/window. There's a thread somewhere on here where somebody replaced their roof thmselves - I've read how to do it online, doesn't sound TOO complicated,but I'd rather pay someone to do it right so it fits right/tight and not have to worry about f-ing anything up.
Sorry about the rambling on and on, have had too much coffee this a.m. :cool:
Dunno how much help my endless rambling was, but... good luck, happy holidays, etc :)

Oh, and fwiw, ASC converted 7,917 Celicas to verts for '91. ( I have the figures from ASC for every year Celica conversion they've done since they started ...1984 - 1999 ) ... :cool:

NealWright
12-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I know there's not many 'verts around. Mine really doesn't need a new weatherstripping, but it still would be nice.

Got another quick question out there?

Anybody ever seen a '91 with a rear window defog switch? My white doesn't have one, didn't think any did ... then I got this 2nd one, and it's there. Dash looks original, so I didn't know whether to poke around looking for factory wiring? I park inside, so don't really use it ... but just seemed odd, since I didn't think the glass window options came until '92?

Thanks, Neal

Fuelish
12-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Anybody ever seen a '91 with a rear window defog switch? My white doesn't have one, didn't think any did ... then I got this 2nd one, and it's there. Dash looks original, so I didn't know whether to poke around looking for factory wiring? I park inside, so don't really use it ... but just seemed odd, since I didn't think the glass window options came until '92?

Hmmmm to tell you the truth, I've never seen a glass window/defogger on any 5th gen....thought they were introduced on the 6th gen verts, but I could be wrong. My dash has no known spot for a rear defog switch, as far as I can tell....perhaps the dash in your was at some point replaced with a dash from a regular roofed Celi ???? I have no real need for the rear defog, either, beings as I garage it as well, and winters are pretty mild in the TN valley :cool: ..... compared to suburban Detroit, where we moved from - I doubt I'd've bought this vert if we still lived up in the rust belt...heh

celica9303
12-24-2007, 06:17 PM
the rear windows for the 5g vert are plastic,.....