PDA

View Full Version : celica axles SUUUCK

zmile06
12-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I can't get my axel out to save my life, i have cuts with oil in them and OMG I HATE AXELS! Why couldn't toyota make the axels without U clips? Any ideas on getting the axels out?

Hookecho
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
i'm guessing it's the driver side axle giving you the most hell. the passenger side is usually the easy one to remove. all i can tell you is use a pry bar and alot of patience.

zmile06
12-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm so mad i can't even put words in place of what i feel...

Hookecho
12-21-2007, 09:57 PM
i know how you feel.

zmile06
12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
If i can't get it out soon i'm going to take the inner boot out and just lift the engine out and put the axel back together once the engine is out..

My friend isn't going to be able to help me at all with the engine pull i think, it's most liekly he just blew up his truck... So i might be SOL in terms of replacing all the gaskets, i might have to pay someone to do it.

Ads28
12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
yeahhh been there done that with teh drivers side...althou now it seems to be pree easy..almost to easy to take out

goretro77
12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Axle puller?

MarcusM2007
12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I have got it down to a science. Fit a par of some sort between the axel and the transmission, make sure it is firmly in place. Next kick the hell out of it, one swift kick should pop it out. Now putting it back in is another story....

KoreanJoey
12-21-2007, 11:28 PM
I have got it down to a science. Fit a par of some sort between the axel and the transmission, make sure it is firmly in place. Next kick the hell out of it, one swift kick should pop it out. Now putting it back in is another story....

When putting it back the most important thing it make DAMN sure it's clean and I mean you can eat off it clean. The tiniest little piece or rock or whatever underneath that U clip can ruin your day. Believe me I struggled with it for a good 20 minutes before I noticed a little piece of kitty litter under the u clip. Cleaned that off and whammo, it went in.

zmile06
12-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Good news got it off with an autozone pry bar! It took me 20 seconds with an auto zone pry bar in the perfect place... I just pushed down with full force and BAM tranny fluid everywhere lmao.

I'm probable replacing the axel just because it looks a little beat up. I'm most likely replacing the transmission seals too.

Anyways in a good mood! The 12 inch pry bar from great neck (autozone brand) did the job PERFECTLY. And i mean i was like WTF AMAZING when i did it. There is a small small small spot under the car where u can pry perfectly. Between the transmission and axel like that guy said.

Thanks for the help guys:)

Mafix
12-22-2007, 02:06 AM
wow, perhaps that is the problem. i use a 3 footer when i pull mine.

Hookecho
12-22-2007, 03:24 AM
^^and you're probably standing under the car too. man, if only i had a lift.

The Captain
12-22-2007, 04:02 AM
When putting it back the most important thing it make DAMN sure it's clean and I mean you can eat off it clean. The tiniest little piece or rock or whatever underneath that U clip can ruin your day. Believe me I struggled with it for a good 20 minutes before I noticed a little piece of kitty litter under the u clip. Cleaned that off and whammo, it went in.

That's why I never let my cat rebuild my CV joints. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

donteatbugs
12-22-2007, 04:22 AM
you store your shafts in kitty litter? are you thst worried about moisture?

grayscale
12-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Slide hammer with cv axle puller attachment ftw!
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/3/3/2/cvpuller.jpg

tuner4life
12-22-2007, 05:50 AM
I like that slide hammer thing, I may invest in one :bigthumbu ...

zmile06
12-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Slide hammer works great but i'm honestly not sure if there is enough room to fit that into the drivers side. Pry bar did the work =)

RedGTS
12-22-2007, 05:56 AM
I hated doing the axles on my celica also.

mlwmlw
12-22-2007, 03:43 PM
they have tools for this?
man, it took me about 10 minutes, i eventually got it off without any tools,
then it was on to the drivers side :-/

MarcusM2007
12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm probable replacing the axel just because it looks a little beat up. I'm most likely replacing the transmission seals too.

When you do the transmission seals make sure you get them from Toyota. Autozone and Napa both have the wrong sizes, they look like they fit but it still leaks. Took me a good 6 months and lots of tranny fluid to figure that one out.

geebes
12-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes, makes me angrified also.

T-spoon
12-22-2007, 06:30 PM
When you do the transmission seals make sure you get them from Toyota. Autozone and Napa both have the wrong sizes, they look like they fit but it still leaks. Took me a good 6 months and lots of tranny fluid to figure that one out.

Make sure you talk to a parts guy that knows what they're doing too. If they're a noob, they may pull up the wrong ones because Toyota doesn't label them, "Driver side transmission seal and passenger side transmission seal" so you actually have to know what you're looking for. Not a suprise AT ALL that napa or autozone or whatnot would have trouble finding the right one since it's not blaringly obvious from toyota either. We had guys selling the wrong transaxle seals over the front counter on a semi-regular basis.

Nate84
12-22-2007, 08:50 PM
^yeah toyotas parts film is horrible when they label a part in the picture. I get techs all day pointing out shit and when I have to order is it turns out wrong. smh@toyota. Thank goodness for footnotes:)

KoreanJoey
12-23-2007, 02:27 AM
That's why I never let my cat rebuild my CV joints. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey now, gotta clean up all the tranny fluid I spilled ALL OVER the garage.

Denver_whiteST185
12-23-2007, 02:56 AM
so, my alltrac axles only took me a minute or so to get off. just yanked on it really hard and they popped off.

maybe its just me...

davmac
12-23-2007, 05:32 AM
When taking old cars apart luck (and rust) is the factor separating easy from wanna kill something frustration.
Brass drift / bar and hammer work wonders for getting axles out and seating them correctly on re install. Pry bars and even rope and a place to brace your legs also work for removing a stuck axle.