PDA

View Full Version : TVIS Elimination

Kiasis
12-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I know this thread probably belongs elsewhere, but wanted to make sure I got as much feedback as possible. This site, http://www.racetep.com/mr2tpart.htm
says they will remove the TVIS from a 3SGE or 3SGTE engine w/o any loss of high end power while increasing low end power. Everything I've read here from guys who really get into this stuff say to not mess w/ the TVIS. Anyone know racetep and have had work done by them?

Luni
12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I call BS. They would have to prove it with a dyno. Substantial difference too. If it isnt beyond 10hp on a turboed car, runs can vary 10hp between runs.

I dont necessarily believe it. Contact them and ask them.

MrWOT
12-21-2007, 06:53 PM
They lie.

There is no way to lower velocity and not lose torque :rolleyes:

Luni
12-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Unless you had an turbo capable of instantly filling the engine with so much air it sploded!

Take a look at the 3rd gen3S. It actually has smaller head ports and larger intake ports, velocity is still a factor, they just do it differently.

Kiasis
12-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Someone who knows way more than me should check out the website and talk to Steve, the president. I called on my 3SGE and he guaranteed a minimum 25 HP gain and 15% torque gain. I'd love to hear from the 3SGTE experts here what they think of his speel on the turbo upgrades.

Luni
12-21-2007, 08:22 PM
You wouldnt even gain that off a turbo car, 25hp and 15 percent torque is insane.

Nosir, hes full of shit. I wouldnt even continue dealing with him.

MrWOT
12-21-2007, 08:32 PM
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-US&q=steve+%22top+end+performance%22+problem+order

nuff said...

I knew these asshats from a loooong time ago. Famous for fucking people over and bait and switch.

Kiasis
12-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Okay. End of that particular train of thought. Thanks for keeping me and my bank account sane, guys!!

mook
12-21-2007, 09:59 PM
If you remove the TVIS on a standard car you will loose low end torque, end of.

However, if you remove the TVIS butterflies and fit a MoTeC ecu replacing the AFM with a MAP sensor that's a whole new kettle of fish. The better mapping technology of the ecu/map will allow the fueling and ignition timing to be mapped in such a way so as to overcome the reduced velocity of the air going in, and the gains in the upper range will be great as you've removed a restriction to engine breathing.

I have a MoTeC M4 Pro with lambda upgrade fitted to mine. At present it's mapped with the butterflies constantly open, I will soon be upgrading with an ATS phenolic plate which not only removes the restriction but helps reduce heat soak into the intake plenum which will keep the intake temps down, all benefitcial for improving power.

So, in my situation, removing the TVIS has no adverser effects, but I've got a hell of a load of mods to make it redundant. Simply removing it on a standard engine/ecu will not be of any benefit lower in the rev range and only a small benefit in the higher range when it would be open.

Mafix
12-22-2007, 02:08 AM
lol, why didn't you just ask! yeah never remove TVIS in your case.

Luni
12-23-2007, 08:16 AM
If you remove the TVIS on a standard car you will loose low end torque, end of.

However, if you remove the TVIS butterflies and fit a MoTeC ecu replacing the AFM with a MAP sensor that's a whole new kettle of fish. The better mapping technology of the ecu/map will allow the fueling and ignition timing to be mapped in such a way so as to overcome the reduced velocity of the air going in, and the gains in the upper range will be great as you've removed a restriction to engine breathing.

I have a MoTeC M4 Pro with lambda upgrade fitted to mine. At present it's mapped with the butterflies constantly open, I will soon be upgrading with an ATS phenolic plate which not only removes the restriction but helps reduce heat soak into the intake plenum which will keep the intake temps down, all benefitcial for improving power.

So, in my situation, removing the TVIS has no adverser effects, but I've got a hell of a load of mods to make it redundant. Simply removing it on a standard engine/ecu will not be of any benefit lower in the rev range and only a small benefit in the higher range when it would be open.

Need a dyno before and after. Feelings and butt dynos dont mean much.