PDA

View Full Version : My newest toy...

bcaff
12-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I just can't contain myself any longer... gotta show off the new (at least new to me) 4th gen ST. This pic is the only one I have of it for now. My dad met me at an apartment complex to haul the car about an hour to my grandmother's house. She has land, garage space, and my grandpa's old tools. I can't wait to start working on the new Celi.

The previous owner thought that the clutch was bad, but I'm hoping that it is just the clutch master or slave cylinder. There wasn't any fluid left in the master cylinder when I looked at it. I also couldn't get the car to turn over when trying to jump start it. It did once or twice, but now I think the starter is bad or it needs the classic 4th gen starter mod.

Anyways, thought I would share my excitement with everyone here... Right now I'm going to try to make it drivable as is, but I can't help but think of dropping a 3rd gen 3s-ge or some form of 3s-gte in this puppy. Since I still have my 90 ST as a daily, I might finally be able to have the project car I've always wanted. We'll have to wait and see...

extremeskillz
12-21-2007, 01:49 PM
looks nice. more pics please.

Hookecho
12-21-2007, 01:57 PM
good deal man. hope you get it up and running soon.

bcaff
12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't worry... I'll post more pix when I get back from Louisiana after Christmas. The day after I get back I'll definitely be out there working on her. And yes... it was an awesome deal. I've paid less than $500 total for both my Celicas. Of course I've put more money than that into them, but still cheap for an initial cost.

celicaGT90_05
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
looks like the body is good shape, but hard to judge just from a back end shot. Good luck with the project!

MrWOT
12-21-2007, 03:22 PM
:bigthumbu

bcaff
12-21-2007, 04:28 PM
The body isn't too bad. There is a softball size dent in the rear left quarter and various small dings. The front left fender has rusted away on the bottom underneath the moldling. The paint is faded pretty bad, I'm hoping it will clean up well with some elbow grease. The tires are severely worn, but I still have my old set of steelies from my 5th gen that have almost new tires on them so I'll just switch them out. Supposedly the brakes were 'worked on' (don't know what that entails yet) back in May. The owner (my roommate's brother) and his family aren't the most car savvy, so the details are unknown right now.

I wish I wasn't leaving town tomorrow so that I could be getting it running!

KoreanJoey
12-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm tellin ya, do the 3SGTE. If you do a 3SGE it just hurts getting owned by 3SGTE swappers...

Believe me, I know.

92CeliGT-S
12-21-2007, 07:52 PM
holy crap! nice deal man, looks like a fun project, and with a nice price too congrats MORE PICS MORE PICS! lol

bcaff
12-30-2007, 03:23 AM
<<<<UPDATE>>>>

It's ALIIIIIVVVVVEEEEE!!!!! So after different combinations of hooking the car up to my 90 Celica with jumper cables for nearly 40 mins and charging/jumping the battery with my grandfather's ancient Sears battery charger the car finally turned over. I had tried several times to crank the car but the starter wouldn't budge at all. The battery was so dead that the charger didn't even recognize it was there before. However, on my last and final try, the car turned over and with a couple of tries she finally roared to life after months of just sitting.

And did I mention that it drives too? I drove the car around the shed and parked it since it was starting to rain. When I hauled the car away from the seller I had been hoping that I was correct about the clutch just needing new fluid and to be bled... and I was right. While the battery had been charging, I had bled the clutch with a cheap bleed kit from advance auto. I also cleaned off the trunk lid with a wet cloth and tried some car polish I have on the paint to see if it would help. Looks like I'll be going to Maaco for a cheap paint job if I decide to keep it.

That was all for Saturday. Today though my dad and I went out and changed the oil and trans fluid. I also put my old set of steelies from my 90 ST onto it since the tires were much newer. I drove the car down the street to a gas station and vacuumed the car out and put more air in the tires. The car handled pretty well considering that the front end is all over the place since it needs new struts. The throttle response from the 3s-fe was pretty good and seemed better than my 4a-fe in my 90 ST.

I'm planning to get the car insured, registered, tagged and inspected on Monday unless I head out of town with some friends for New Year's celebrations.

Anyone have a cheap 3s-gte setup they want to sell me? It's looking more like it's going to end up a daily driver for now.

bcaff
12-30-2007, 03:31 AM
And I deserve to be shot for not getting more pics of the car... I've been out there working on it two different times and forgot to grab one of my cameras both times. I'll try my best to get some pics up soon. Sorry guys :runaway:

CrazyAchmed
12-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Scope out Alltrac.net and see whats floating around over there for 3SGTE setups that are running. Probably easier just to snag up a front clip though with everything needed right there.

Also, jump over to www.st162.com for more info on the 4g platform. Tons of us over there with a wealth of knowledge of the 4g's and what it takes to get a 3SGTE swap over smoothly.

bcaff
01-03-2008, 02:23 AM
^ Thanks for the advice... I'll start checking it out and planning my next move. Right now I brought the car back to my parent's place. It felt like the clutch took a while to engage when changing gears into 2nd or 3rd. 4th and 5th gears were slipping when I would open the throttle up but it felt like it was slipping less by the time I got it home. The car hasn't been driven for 4-5 months until now. Now I need to find out why my running lights and cluster lights aren't working so that I can pass a safety inspection... prob just a fuse.