PDA

View Full Version : So, as it turns out...

Frenchy
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
THE CAR RUNS PERFECT!!!

Didn't need those clips I bought today... transmission is fine... I'm excited..

Just, the fact that it sat forever, the rear driver side brake locked up, and it was on some snow, so we rocked it back and forth for about 20 minutes, and then, shoveled the snow in front of the car, the rear braek was still locked, and it drove fine... got it to the road, and as soon as I started going, it freed up... So, I have a PERFECTLY fine, with the execption of the rear passenger brake light, running car, that I picked up for 140 dollars. :-) :bigthumbu :bigthumbu :bigthumbu

92CeliGT-S
12-20-2007, 10:09 PM
nice man, congrats, sounds like a good deal, im waiting to get my celica too hopefully it will turn out just as good

burnyd
12-20-2007, 10:31 PM
good...

Hookecho
12-20-2007, 10:51 PM
shaweet!

Frenchy
12-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Dude, 140 dollars, my mom said it was a bad investment...

HAHAH!

The brakes are so rusty though, but driving should clear that out, right?

92CeliGT-S
12-21-2007, 01:05 AM
i would assume...take them apart and replace the pads and grind down the rust and repaint everything (in the spring)

Frenchy
12-21-2007, 03:41 AM
I think I'm just gonna lift the car in the garage when I go home tmrw, take the wheels off, and take in the rotors and calipers... and see how much they charge for it..

tuner4life
12-21-2007, 03:57 AM
sounds sweet, looks like you are going to get your money out of it!!

Frenchy
12-21-2007, 04:49 AM
Ya, the crazy girl said she got everything outta it... and when I went to get it, it had some AIWA surround sound speakers in it, a Pioneer CD player, and about 6 dollars worth of change in it...

So, I mean, if that alone isn't worth the 140 dollars, I don't know what is.

Hahaha.

Frenchy
12-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Oh, I also have one picture of it up, in my garage, I guess... :-)

grayscale
12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Wow, that was a great investment. Deal of the year. :bigthumbu
About your brakes- the rust on the braking surface of the rotors will wear off quickly by itself, but it is good to have the thickness and so on checked and to inspect the pads when you buy a car. How long has the car been sitting?

Frenchy
12-21-2007, 10:18 AM
About a year...

We're changing plugs and oil tmrw... before I drive it anywhere with any distance...

grayscale
12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Did they start it up very often?

Frenchy
12-21-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm not too sure... I'm taking proper actions to make sure nothing is gonna happen w/ it... I put some fuel stabilizer in the gas, and some lucas treatment, gonna run some more in the oil tmrw after I flush the oil, and then run a can of sea foam in through a vacuum line...

Speaking of which, you know which vacuum line I should use to do that?

grayscale
12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Pcv line worked good for me.

Frenchy
12-21-2007, 11:58 AM
...which is?

I don't know vacuum lines... sorry.

Have a diagram, or something of the sort? :-\

mook
12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a hell of a deal, nice one :)

I'd be tempted to replace all the wet stuff - oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering sluid and so on, after a while it can all get a big muggy and it's pretty important.

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 01:11 AM
Ya, I'm halfway done with the fluids right now...

So, my 1990 is an automatic, and ya know, driving it, it felt fast, and then I got in this guy tonight, to drive home, and it feels a LOT faster, maybe I'm just crazy, but I swear the manual is a ton faster than the auto...

I did a plug change, and put in my "cold air" intake...lol... it's actually sitting outside idling right now....oops...gotta run.

grayscale
12-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Manual is much quicker than the auto, most all Toyota autos were/are slugs.
The pcv line is the one that runs from the top of the valve cover to the intake manifold on the right hand side of the valve cover. Just remove end of hose from valve cover and dump into hose leading into intake manifold according to directions on can.

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 05:15 AM
Awesome...

Hey, I have a question...

While I was driving the car, the car never really got above the first line on the water temp meter.... but if I turned it off, and went inside for a minute, and came back out, it was about 3/8 the way up, where it should be...

Now, I'm wondering if the IAT sensor, not being plugged in, would cause this... (I found out it wasn't lpugged in, when I put the intake on tonight...)

celicaGT90_05
12-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Mine rests right in the middle of the gauge, your thermostat could be stuck open, its still within operating temp though

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 05:35 AM
That's what my roommate just said, actually, he just graduated with his degree in automotive technology(I think, the kid knows damn near EVERYTHING about vehicles) but I asked here, then he signed online and I asked him and that's the first thing he said....

celicaGT90_05
12-22-2007, 05:38 AM
lol well its a cheap fix, not too hard, plus it never hurts to change once in a while.

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I know in my truck I had a helluva time swapping out my stat, granted it was fine, I just wanted a 180 degree, my trucks was in the damn tube, or something I pulled it all apart, and let my friend figure the rest out...

How do we do it on these bad boys?

Also, is there a cooler temp stat out there? Anyone running one?

celicaGT90_05
12-22-2007, 06:07 AM
on the 5SFE its located on the water neck on the left hand side of the motor RIGHT off the water pump. You'll find it by tracing the upper radiator hose

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Awesome!

Hey, you have any tips on how to prep the wheels for paint? I have an idea, and wanna do them right.....

Should I wire brush them, or go w/ like steel wool #2 then #000?

celicaGT90_05
12-22-2007, 06:38 AM
well I painted the stealies on my ranger, I just made sure they were clean but steel wool isnt a bad idea either. Use some wheel cleaner, armor all works real well, clean them reall good and let them dry, then you could take the steel wool to them and clean them off again afterwords. Give them a couple coats of wheel paint and clear. If you use regular paint it stands chance of flaking off due to the heat produced by the brakes

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 06:58 AM
I think instead of starting tons of new threads, I'm gonna keep asking questions in this one...

Does anyone know where I can get a rear passenger side quarter panel cut and sold and shipped to me? like,a junkyard? All the junkyards in my area frown on imports...

It sucks....

david in germany
12-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Awesome!

Hey, you have any tips on how to prep the wheels for paint? I have an idea, and wanna do them right.....

Should I wire brush them, or go w/ like steel wool #2 then #000?
Steel or aluminum?

I used paint stripper on mine when I did them.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28542&highlight=clear+coat

Frenchy
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
They are the wheels w/out the center caps...