PDA

View Full Version : 5SFE Oil neglect results!!

The Captain
12-20-2007, 08:58 PM
My folks bought a 97 vert with 67K miles. I wasn't able to help with the purchase inspection as they live in Daytona and I live in Atlanta. As soon as they had the oil changed it started to blow oil from the head gasket. I told them to send me the car as the local Toyota dealer wanted $2000. to do it. When I got the car I verified the blown HG. When I took the valve cover off, SUPRISE!! This is when I decided to pull the motor (merry xmas). God only knows how much they would have tried to screw them for if they saw this. While pulling the motor I found:

Torn front motor mount
Passenger side brake line twisted
No squeal shims in the pads
Both outer CV boots split all the way around
Broken nipple on the PS pump vacuum connection ($125 for that little jewel.)
Primary catalytic converter media in pieces.

The coolant looked like black coffee. The oil looked OK as it was new. The trans fluid at least looked OK.

So far I've spent $800 at the dealership for parts. If it wasn't an automatic, this puppy would be halfway to a 3SGTE swap.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/head2.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/head4.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/7/2/1/head3.jpg

Murgatroy
12-20-2007, 09:02 PM
But it's a Toyota, it will run forever right? I don't have to change the oil.

Cavanagh
12-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow...gross.

Hookecho
12-20-2007, 09:41 PM
holy crap!

The Captain
12-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Thank god all the bearing surfaces are OK. I've started scraping it clean. Hopefully soaking the head in kerosene will break down some of the sludge. After I clean up the head I've got to take the oil pump and oil pressure regulator valve apart and clean all that up. Going to pop the oil pan too and clean it. Amazing how much neglect this little motor tolerated. What a freegin mess.

StormyBklyn
12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
All things aside, it does show the quality of the 5SFE. Yes, the engine needs a rebuild, but I would think most engines would be toast after going through that.

Trance4c
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Ya buddy.. woo.. thats gunna be fun. I've seen to many 5S's that have chunks that could fall into something bad lol.

MrWOT
12-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Lol, now that's some sludge. The kerosene will do wonder for that, but cleaning the oil passages in the block is going to take considerable time :ugh:

METDeath
12-21-2007, 03:06 AM
Dude... that is a mess, I know I wouldn't mind getting my hands a little dirty fixing up a 5S. If the time comes, then I can do it myself with more experience with the motor and all.

92st184
12-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Damn!!

grayscale
12-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Holy shite. Hell, I'd just get the whole thing boiled and get a new oil pump instead of farking with the old one.

Luni
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow John. I talked to you on the phone about this and was expecting pics soon, but holy crap, couldnt prepare me for what i see there.

Thats awful looking. Never seen anything like that before in my experience with cars. Wow.

extremeskillz
12-21-2007, 09:45 PM
:stupid: Thats neglect at its best.

KoreanJoey
12-21-2007, 09:46 PM
I think I puked a little...

mook
12-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Flippin' 'eck, that's rank! Can't believe it still ran. As said above, getting all the gloop out of the block is going to be a job and a half, don't want anything left in there.

juggernaut
12-22-2007, 03:16 AM
goes to show what the 5S can tolerate. i cant believe that thing even had oil pressure.

MrWOT
12-22-2007, 03:42 AM
Lol, pressure I can believe, but flow :ugh:

The Captain
12-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Surprisingly the motor still flowed oil throughout. None of the passageways were blocked, they were actually wide open. The drains from the head back to the block were a little smaller, but worked OK. I removed the crank and everything is within spec. I'm not even going to rebuild it. I'm just going to clean it up and reassemble. That is one tough little motor. I'm not going to give up my 3S in my alltac tho!

donteatbugs
12-22-2007, 04:18 AM
put a beams in it!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

mlwmlw
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
oh my gosh! that looks bad!!!
whenever i have something like that, i usually degrease the whole thing with engine degreaser (minus the bearings) to make it a little more pleasant to work on!

are you going to port the exhaust while you are at it?

The Captain
12-23-2007, 02:26 PM
No head porting hear. My folks are pushing 60 and it's a dog-o-matic. They want an economical daily driver. If it was a stick I'd be slapping a 3SGTE in it as I have a lot of spares from my parts clip, but with the auto trans it's keeping the 5S. Too much trouble to try and find a 3SGE automatic torque plate to bolt up the turbo motor. The trans is an ECT unit too which means a 3SGTE ECU wouldn't control it. Too much trouble. They wanted the auto for traffic as they live in Daytona. It'll be a fun cruiser when I go down to visit.

Mr Celica
12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
sell me one of your spare 3sgtes :)

good luck with the sludge

Hookecho
12-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Surprisingly the motor still flowed oil throughout. None of the passageways were blocked, they were actually wide open. The drains from the head back to the block were a little smaller, but worked OK. I removed the crank and everything is within spec. I'm not even going to rebuild it. I'm just going to clean it up and reassemble. That is one tough little motor. I'm not going to give up my 3S in my alltac tho!

i hope you'll at least use new rod and main bearings. new rings too.

donteatbugs
12-24-2007, 02:14 AM
do i hear caldina auto swap?

zmile06
12-24-2007, 03:47 AM
I so thought sludge with a myth until i saw this lmao!!!! OMG WHAT THE THE HECK!!!!

If i saw that i would be like time for a new engine! The parts in that engine have to be worn to hell. The rings have to be shot three ways to hell. I mean in all honesty you might get away with just rehabbing it, but i would replace the rings main bearings and all new gaskets. That is just a trip and a half. If i was u to be honest i would rebuild the whole thing since you have to take it all apart. Re condition the crank shaft etc. That whole engine needs some TLC.

If you don't completely rebuilt it you might just run into problems later. Maybe not within the next 50k miles but you might run into some problems bro. Since it's ur parents i would probable rebuilt it just so you don't have to worry about them.

But to each there own! I'm still amazed that engine ran!