PDA

View Full Version : If It's not one thing is another.....

placilla
12-19-2007, 08:37 PM
While cleaning and taking apart the engine, that I had purchase to install in my 86 Celica GTS, I noticed that the front engine mount bracket was loose. While looking at it I noticed that the upper left side was chipped, see photos. Now my question is. Will it be OK? The other two bolts look OK and the one area that chipped still ahve some thread. Should I chance it? I am so frustrated, I just want to drive the car.

Hookecho
12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
the only problem you'll have is the probability of breaking it the rest of the way off once you start torquing on that bolt. you can get away with just the 2 bolts im sure. if need be get you some thick washers or something to fill the space between the block and mounting bracket so that you don't break it the rest of the way off when you tighten the bolt.

Mafix
12-19-2007, 11:02 PM
you'll be fine.

grayscale
12-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Definitely need to fill the space between the bracket and block. I doubt you'll break the rest of it (it's cast) but will probably bend the hell out of the bracket when you torque the bolt. However, once the car is in use, there is the likely probability that the bolt may eventually strip out since it has less thread area to grip, or the bolt may shear altogether from the torque of the moving engine.