PDA

View Full Version : Possible purchase of 4th gen project...

bcaff
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
So, my roommate's brother has a 4th gen (1988 I think) Celica that he is getting rid of. The car isn't drivable since he thinks it has a bad clutch. However, at first glance, the clutch master cylinder is completely out of fluid so it might just need some work on the hydraulic side of things. I wasn't able to start the car since the battery was dead, but I'm 95% positive that it does run except for the possible transmission issues.

First, how can I tell if the car is a ST or GT model (the emblem fell off of the car)? I noticed that this car has 4-lug wheels. Is this a sign that the car is an ST like on the 5th gens?

Second, is this car a good base as a project car? Even if the car is an ST, since it has the 3s series motor, wouldn't it be fairly easy to do a 3s-gte swap? I know that the 5th gen ST has different suspension and drivetrain mounts from the 5th gen GT models, but it sounds like the 4th gen ST and GT cars are basically the same except for the head on the motor?

Any thoughts or suggestions for or against the 4th gens would be helpful. Right now I think I'm going to buy the car since it's so cheap. I figure worst case, I could probably sell it again for as much as he wants for it.

Murgatroy
12-16-2007, 10:04 PM
The 4th Gen ST and and GT are the same car, with a few options changes.

I have a 4th Gen GT, and it has 4 lugs, only the GT-S and the Alltrac came with 5 lugs.

FYI, the suspension on the 5th Gen ST is the same as the higher trim levels, it is only the engine (and mounts) and brakes that are different.

As for telling the 4th Gen ST from a GT, I am not sure.

grayscale
12-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Is the chassis number the same for the ST and GT? (ST16X) The only other thing I can think of is to see if there is an outline where the emblem used to be. Sometimes the paint around that spot will be more faded and you might be able to make something out. But hey, if it's cheap enough, why not?

Murgatroy
12-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Aye, they are both ST162.

bcaff
12-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Good to know that the GT also had the 4 lug hub. As long as it has the same chassis code it should be good to go for a fairly easy 3s-gte swap. That will probably be the end goal for this car if I end up making it a project vehicle. In the mean time, I might go and try to get it started and see if I can't add fluid to the clutch master cylinder and try to get the clutch to work properly. Sounds like I'm going to end up towing it on a car dolly and keep it at my grandmother's house for a while. She has some land and lots of awesome garage space. Thanks for the help so far!

mighty
12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
ST: came with a trunk.
GT: came in a convertable / liftback

As far as the 3SGTE Swap-depending on the year it varies, I will onl speak upon the 2nd Gen GTE I have done, Its in lite terms a PITA- but thats just the wiring, the actually engine swap is as easy as a N/A Swap, I can tell you to serisoult Research the BGB for both the ST162 and the other swapped engine.

Dr. Tweak will do a plug and play wire conversion for around 600 buckS- $$ VS. time/headaches, I f I am ever to to do another swap in the future I would defaintley use Him.

Murgatroy
12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
GT and GT-S also came in coupe.