PDA

View Full Version : is this engine a good deal?

JasonX
12-11-2007, 05:48 AM
hello guys,
i saw this engine on ebay (motortimeusa) and wondering if you guys think it's a good deal.
They are charging $995 for the engine, $995 to remove old and install new one. The warranty is 1 year, unlimited mileage. They get their internal parts from TopLine. I never heard of TopLine. I think their website is www.TopLine.com. They pick up my car from my door and deliver back to my door. Work would be done in 7 days. I asked how I know if their engine is as good as Toyota's OEM. They said Toyota doesn't make their own parts either and Toyota purchases from manufacturers in Japan and they claim to do the same. Let me know if you guys think it's a good deal. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&viewitem=&item=320191558854&rd=1 (please scroll down the whole page. They have info the whole page.)

grayscale
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Two things. First, I have not heard the greatest things about Topline. Second, installation is NOT included in that auction, that will cost you extra.

celicaGT90_05
12-11-2007, 11:17 AM
now I dont know much about topline, but I wouldnt doubt grayscales word, plus its only warrantied for a year? Eh that doesnt seem right to me. As for toyota not making their own parts, thats not entirely true. Everything made is required to be built to a certain quality and pass a certain test and must be up to manufacturer specifications, but aftermarket parts do not which is why its always good to ask is it OEM spec when replacing worn parts. I know honda has their own plants where they have their parts made, I'm not completely sure about toyota, but I dont know why they wouldnt do the same, it's not like they couldnt afford it

Galcobar
12-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Technically, a lot of car manufacturer's don't make their own parts if you go by brand name, but if you trace who owns the plant -- or the fact the plant makes parts only for one company -- the reality is that most parts manufacturers are at least indirectly controlled by the car company, or used to be.

There are of course exceptions -- Yamaha making small engines for Toyota -- but if a car company gets something made by another company it's still to the car company's specifications.

Aftermarket....meh.