PDA

View Full Version : Hi from ATS Racing

ATSAaron
12-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi!! Thanks for our own forum. I'll will do my bes to check it often. It has been a long time since I have seriously posted in Celica Tech. Sorry about that.

So who is ATS Racing now?

Aaron Bunch - that's me. I've had two ST165's and two ST185's and one ST18x GTS with a 3SGTE and E153 in it. Current Celica count is zero (sorry guys). We started ATS in 1999 as just friends that liked working on Celicas and MR2's. ATS became my full time job in November 2003.

Scott McClendon - has been an owner at ATS since we made up the name in my garage about 8 years ago. He recently left a good paying job as a CAD draftsman to come slave over cars a full time at ATS for pennies per hour. AWESOME!! He sold his ST165 a few years ago.

Todd McClendon - has also been an owner since day one. Day one was also the last time we got much real work out of him. We let his stay around because AS Racing is a dumb name. At least he still has a ST165 (sold his ST185 to buy his wife's engagement ring)

Matt Owen - aka Supra Matt. He started ATS with a Del Sol. Yeah, I hired him even though he drove a Honda. It was really clean and he had done all the work himself. He has since ditched the Honduhs, built (and sold) an awesome 560whp MR2 and now has a 600+ whp MKIV Supra (and is working on an LS6 FD RX-7). His job interview involved how well he could lay down a bead with a MIG. Today he is one of the best TIG welders you will ever see.

Hoang Nyugen - he started out as a shop kling-on that came by to get us to weld stuff for him. When he finally brought his car by it was a MKIII Supra with a 1JZ and a GT40!! turbo. When we got busy last summer I knew just who to call and offer a job to.

Katy - she keeps the books so we know how much money we are losing. She might answer the phone occasionally. She has a SW20 MK2.

You have probably noticed that the ATS Racing website caters to the MR2, however since this is Celica TECH most of you can figure out what interchanges. If you have a question just ask.

We do this because we like it. It's awesome to actually like the people you work with. We work together, party together, sometimes even vacation together.

Aaron

sloceli
12-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Just want to say these guys have great customer service. I ordered their throttle body inlet earlier this year. Not only was it top quality but I received it in less than a week. I just ordered their Cam Gears today and they worked with me and my current Iraq situation so I would have my gears waiting for me when I return home.

Sean
12-08-2007, 09:52 AM
I have ordered various things from you guys, always been great. Though, I usually dealt with Ken (whom I believe is no longer affilated with ATS?), the ATS firm was ALWAYS on the ball.

I do recall at one point in time you selling or mentioning a FWD celi with a 3s equipped. We have hundreds, maybe thousands of swapped celica's out there. It would be great if you could go into your opinion on the whole deal, the limits, the possibilities... Just any ramblings, opinions, or thoughts on the matter...

And when your done with that, make us some some traction bars :) :)

ATSAaron
12-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Ken left ATS to pursue other things about 2 months ago. We are still friends.

My GTS turbo was pretty weak. Just a stock CT26 and full emissions equipment, so it didn't have any traction issues.

Aaron

burnyd
12-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Ive ordered my springs and struts when I had my red mr2 from ats... I also ordered my downpipe for my swapped car.. nothing but good things to say about them!

Luni
12-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Ive sniped some hella good deals from Aaron selling stuff for customers or off clips theyve recieved. Always had good service from them. Ive also purchased some stuff for Plays car from them too.

Ken and I used to not get along, but we are koo now. And hes not there anymore, but hes still good peeps anyway.

Trance4c
12-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Oh ya, ATS knows me well.. :) glad you guys are active over here! Welcome!!

Hookecho
12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
never bought anything from you guys, but i have heard nothing but good things. do you guys ever plan on developing parts for us n/a guys. particularly the 5sfe.

Luni
12-11-2007, 01:01 AM
never bought anything from you guys, but i have heard nothing but good things. do you guys ever plan on developing parts for us n/a guys. particularly the 5sfe.

Youre funny.

You know as well as I do theres no money in that.

Hookecho
12-11-2007, 01:02 AM
stop hatin' foo :)

Trance4c
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
stop hatin' foo :)

meh.. we understand where your coming from, but the 5S-FE was just never meant to be 'performance'.

I'm sure there are lots that would argue that though, there is nothing wrong with the 5S block, internals, etc. Lots of people use them for a 2.2 liter stroker GE engine setup.

But, Luni is correct.. there is not a very large 3S-GTE market (compared to Civic's and such) to sustain such a cross platform development to the 5S-FE. Best bet, try to use what is still available out there. If you can't, then its probably more cost effective to change platforms to begin with.

Unfortunately, it is sometimes best to start with something better. (luck for some of us.. a FWD swap is still enough)

Hookecho
12-11-2007, 01:27 AM
meh.. we understand where your coming from, but the 5S-FE was just never meant to be 'performance'.

I'm sure there are lots that would argue that though, there is nothing wrong with the 5S block, internals, etc. Lots of people use them for a 2.2 liter stroker GE engine setup.

you have know idea of the extent i can argue with you about this. however, this is not the forum for it.

burnyd
12-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Youre funny.

You know as well as I do theres no money in that.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KoreanJoey
12-11-2007, 08:00 AM
I wish I had some Gen 3 3SGE support...

Luni
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
So go make a thread hookecho.

Point is, for all the time and money youre in your 5SFE just for bragging rights, you could have swapped to a 3SGTE, had more power, and then ATSs parts would apply to you.

Im not hating, Im just simply stating a fact.

If Im wrong, go start the appropriate thread and Ill be happy to talk about this in there too.

Hookecho
12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
i'm into my motor for about 1 grand. couldn't swap for anything near that. not trying to argue the point that the 5sfe is a misunderstood powerhouse-to-be. because it's not. just trying to say that you can put some pep in its step and have some with it if that is ones choice. it's simply something challenging for myself. i've built several different types of motors. i do my homework before taking on a project and i can tell you that i didn't mod a 5sfe to have bragging rights. where i'm from people don't bragg about 145whp motors...500hp maybe. i know the motor has its limitations. i do it to challenge myself and i take pride in being knowledgable about it. it's fun trying to figure out how to squeeze out that 1 extra hp. it's just a hobby.

i do however believe a swap is in my future. once i get bored with something i'll move on to another. i encourage anyone to swap if they have high hp goals. the aftermarket support is there for them.

the fact is i have never belittled anyone for pushing the limit, or going against the grain.

Luni
12-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Edit - Taken to PM

Hookecho
12-12-2007, 01:33 AM
i should also add that i have resources available to myself that the average member doesn't have. such as a machine shop. so the cost of headwork to the average joe, mainly being the p&p, would make having the setup i have cost around $1600+. that of course excludes the nos.

donteatbugs
12-13-2007, 02:55 AM
what does that have to do with ats? i hear they have a killer stroker motor.

Luni
12-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Read the thread :p

Basically hookecho was saying that ATS should do something for the 5S and I said there was no money in it.

Blackcloud
12-15-2007, 02:27 PM
do you own ats diesel as well?

<--- needs a new tranny :hehe:

presure2
12-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Read the thread :p

Basically hookecho was saying that ATS should do something for the 5S and I said there was no money in it.
meh, you guys are forgetting a couple important things.
just about any "bolt on" turbo kit for the 3s is gonna fit the 5s as well.
a built bottom end will cost you the same, im sure arron would be willing to do one, machine the 5s crank to accept a set of shot peened 3s rods, cp 3s "stroker" pistons, and your set there, with a bottom end that can handle PLEANTY of boost.
a set of cams from a company like webcams or coltcams, which may be regrinds, but still cost the same as 3s setups ~650 (colt cams are actually 200$ cheaper if you want to get techincal there, and again, headwork is ~ the same, as i was quoted from shaun over @ MCS. (i havent seen arron post anything about doing headwork yet)
just like everything else, its pay to play.
if your willing to plunk down the cash, it can be done.

Luni
12-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok, Manny, question though, not to be an ass, Im truly wondering.

After all the time, and money you have in your car, do you still truly believe, youre better off than a 3S setup?

In the end, was it worth it to go with a 5SFE or would you have been better off with a 3SGTE to start? Be honest. Cause to me, after everything is said and done, I still have yet to see ONE example of a 5SFTE being a BETTER choice, money/performance wise. It seems to always cost more money to get the same, or less performance to do it right.

I really want to know, and this is pertainent to the thread because if you could list a formula, or an idea, maybe they would see it as beneficial and make it. Otherwise, everyone else Ill bet is under the same impression as me, that it just isnt worth the time and money to make a performance engine out of a 5SFE when you have 3SGTEs sitting around left and right and its an easy swap.

donteatbugs
12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
i think he was talking about upgrading past a stock 3sgte. the 5s block is said to be stronger than the 3s one over 600whp.

MrWOT
12-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Holy hell, way to spam the crap out of the ATS "hello" thread :squint:

If you want to inquire as to 5S parts, why don't you make a new thread, in this forum?

And all the newer 3S blocks have the same corrections as the 5S blocks in terms of the casting.

Trance4c
12-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Holy hell, way to spam the crap out of the ATS "hello" thread :squint:

If you want to inquire as to 5S parts, why don't you make a new thread, in this forum?

And all the newer 3S blocks have the same corrections as the 5S blocks in terms of the casting.

Maybe.. but there are still alot of people in the Celica community that are on the fence with these issues.. lets admit it, more celica's came 5S than 3S compared to the MR2 world.

presure2
12-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Ok, Manny, question though, not to be an ass, Im truly wondering.

After all the time, and money you have in your car, do you still truly believe, youre better off than a 3S setup?

In the end, was it worth it to go with a 5SFE or would you have been better off with a 3SGTE to start? Be honest. Cause to me, after everything is said and done, I still have yet to see ONE example of a 5SFTE being a BETTER choice, money/performance wise. It seems to always cost more money to get the same, or less performance to do it right.

I really want to know, and this is pertainent to the thread because if you could list a formula, or an idea, maybe they would see it as beneficial and make it. Otherwise, everyone else Ill bet is under the same impression as me, that it just isnt worth the time and money to make a performance engine out of a 5SFE when you have 3SGTEs sitting around left and right and its an easy swap.
for me, yes, the 5sfte is the better choice.
i will NEVER swap.
especially after ive seen first hand what some of these "swaps" look like.
now, when your talking 5th gens, a swap is the way to go.
i have a few theorys on swaps, rob, lots of which people wouldnt like.
its all just opinion.
its all a matter of goals, and money. period.
gimme a call sometime man, i'll yell in your ear a while, it'll be like old times... :wiggle:
heres some food for thought.
99.9% of swappers that ive seen have had 3-4 major issues with therye swaps.
ive been driving my 5sfte DAILY for 2.5+ years, 35k+
only problem ive ever had was a frozen map sensor.
how many swappers can say that?

extremeskillz
12-24-2007, 01:50 PM
for me, yes, the 5sfte is the better choice.
i will NEVER swap.
especially after ive seen first hand what some of these "swaps" look like.
now, when your talking 5th gens, a swap is the way to go.
i have a few theorys on swaps, rob, lots of which people wouldnt like.
its all just opinion.
its all a matter of goals, and money. period.
gimme a call sometime man, i'll yell in your ear a while, it'll be like old times... :wiggle:
heres some food for thought.
99.9% of swappers that ive seen have had 3-4 major issues with therye swaps.
ive been driving my 5sfte DAILY for 2.5+ years, 35k+
only problem ive ever had was a frozen map sensor.
how many swappers can say that?

I would have to agree with manny. Ive seen his work and have to say he knows what he is doing. I would trust him to setup my car with a 5sfte setup anytime. Something i would consider someday. A lot of swappers on here ive read have ran into nothing but problems. The only successful ones that have done it right and thats with a front clip of a gt-4 with everything needed to swap.

What i can't understand is why doesn't anyone understand having 2.2l is better than 2L. :hehe: the bottom end is stronger and your getting more torque. Just my two sense. I guess its more of preference more than anything else.

KoreanJoey
12-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Short stroke owns me... sorry.

Luni
12-26-2007, 06:12 PM
extremeskills, it isnt a matter of 2.2 vs 2.0 in my book in THIS discussion, its a matter of a shitty F head vs a free flowing G head.

5SFE does NOT have a stronger bottom end.

And to go with what Manny said, Ive seen his work too, and I know beyond a doubt if he were to perform a swap, it would function perfectly, and not be glitchy like half of the swaps hes talking about.

My stock 3SGTE had 172k miles on it before it died. Im not necessarily comparing swap work, Im comparing engines. And overall, with information and parts available, the 3SGTE is still the better choice. Manny truly is the exception, and even at that exception, if he had as much time and money in a 3S as he does in his 5S, I truly believe he would be making more power. Maybe not have that fatty nice torque curve he has, but I think hed be making more HP. He likes his fatty torque curve tho, and I can see his engine and setup being better to him, but in general, you have to admit, when youre talking about performance setups, and referring newbies to the info, you would sooner tell someone to swap than to turbo a 5S, or even do NA work to a 5S if you want power. To me its just common sense.

Smaay
01-03-2008, 11:07 PM
ATS built my stroked 3S-GTE. im finally building the turbo system to support it. cant wait to see what it makes