PDA

View Full Version : emissions

celica91gts
12-03-2007, 11:23 PM
this is probably a really big n00b question. to the guys that live in states with emissions. If you guys have swapped engines in your cars do you have to let the dmv or something know about it to pass emissions? because i know my friend that drives a prelude, his prelude originally has an obd2 computer, but has an obd1 ecu because its more responsive, the vtec hits lower and harder. but every year he has to go get smoke checked he has to swap in the old computer to pass emissions. so i was wonder what u guys have to do.

alltracman78
12-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Technically ALL JDM engines are illegal, they have no EGR.
As far as I know on the books all states require a physical EGR in place [and it's supposed to be working]. There might be certain states that allow no EGR however.

But, most places you can pass without it.
The majority of states only have a visual inspection for the EGR [some counties in CA physically inspect it to ensure it works], and on an Alltrac it's really hard to find [if they even look, some [a lot?] places don't look close.
A JDM engine will definitely pass a tailpipe emissions test [assuming it's in good tune], even a CA/MA one.

The reason your friend has to swap his ECU is his car is OBDII. The emissions tester has a scanner/computer that communicates with his ECU to ensure no problems. If he had his OBDI ECU in the car the tester couldn't communicate with it.

celica91gts
12-03-2007, 11:50 PM
thanks for clearing that up

Ghosty
12-04-2007, 12:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/mschroy/stinkinemissions.jpg

wizzards581
12-05-2007, 03:10 AM
california... any 5th gen can use any 5th gen us spec emission without referee. so it means an ST celica can use 3sgte and the emission is same for 4afe.

91 Celica GT-S
12-06-2007, 08:28 AM
you just need to pay a hundred bucks and doesnt matter what you got