PDA

View Full Version : 1990 ST brake upgrade

90CelicaST
02-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Hey guys. I was wondering, how would someone go about converting their ST's rear drums to disks? And which disks can/would be used? Later

Colossus20v
02-18-2005, 02:39 AM
You can use gts rear rotors and brake stuff. Adrien has a whole write up.

Galcobar
02-18-2005, 05:37 AM
It's amazing...these message boards have been in existence for almost two decades now in one form or another and people still don't do searches before posting a question.

Sorry, personal pet peeve. It drives me nuts to spend the time looking for posts and reading answers somebody already gave and then see somebody else just go straight to the questions.

Jigglypuff
02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
It's amazing...these message boards have been in existence for almost two decades now in one form or another and people still don't do searches before posting a question.

Sorry, personal pet peeve. It drives me nuts to spend the time looking for posts and reading answers somebody already gave and then see somebody else just go straight to the questions.Don't read the post(s) then.

david in germany
02-18-2005, 01:53 PM

Sorry, personal pet peeve. It drives me nuts to spend the time looking for posts and reading answers somebody already gave and then see somebody else just go straight to the questions.

Believe it or not there are some people out there that havent had the time with computers that you may have had. There are some people that I know that have never even been on to the internet (dear god what have they done with their lives?) Sooo, Your personal pet peeve energy might have be put to use on explaining "how to use the search function" This is not to put you down but explain that there is another way that you could have posted.

90CelicaST,
What Galcobar was tring to explain to you is that there is a search button above that you can use to search for topics similar to what you were looking for. Good luck on the brake upgrade!
David

Murgatroy
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
The thing you have to think about though, you have a `90 ST. the `90-91 STs had a four lug pattern where the rest of the Celica family had a five lug pattern so figure in new wheels as a cost. I myself am curious about the front conversion, those rotors are just way to small... I have been interested in trying Corolla parts as well, but I am busy with other projects to start on Chaos yet, this summer looks to be hers though. I will fully document anything I do for everyone's enjoyment though.;)

Colossus20v
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
I totally forgot about that Murg. Yeah I am pretty sure if you got the essembly form a corolla you could make it work for the early STs. I have a 92 and so I would use gt or gts rear rotors and brakes. Thanks for reminding us Murg.

Adrian Avgerinos
02-18-2005, 04:40 PM

:bigthumbu

Bravo. I'm with you there, though every time I ask people to think, somebodies panties get in a wad because I am invading their personal right to be a dumbass.

Though, in this case, I don't believe anyone covered converting the 4 lug ST models to rotors.

I believe folks have had luck using AE92 Corolla parts, but I am not sure of that.

Murgatroy
02-18-2005, 04:54 PM
I have posted about it before on C.net I got pretty much the same answer of 'Idunno.' I posted it on a couple of 'Rolla boards and got the same answer. The AE92 would be the one I would try, since the motors are the same I figure that Toyota would have tried to keep everything similar as a cost cutting method. I will investigate further this summer when I have time, right now my Mustang is my current headache...

ChrisD
02-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Give the guy a break. This board is in its infancy, and a lot of topics have not yet been covered. Our archive of posts for searching is quite small.

Take a read through some of these links. They might help you out.

http://www.geocities.com/kocho_chestimenski/camry.html
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227&highlight=drum+disc

Best of luck to you. If you go ahead with it, post your results here to help out those in the future! :)

90CelicaST
02-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Galcobar and David, I did do a search and did not find anything, so stop jumping down me throat if you don't even know whether I did or not. It may be that I suck at searching, but I did look. I eventually found something on ToyotaCelicaOnline.com. And it didn't even cover the whole 4-lug thing. Calm down some and don't get all pissy over it. I'm a newb to any kind of message board, and I don't really care for whiney ass people.

Galcobar
02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Let me get this straight -- you did a search on brakes or disc and drum, and didn't find the thread "Sticky: How to [Brakes]: 90-91 GT/GT-S / GT Convertible Brake Upgrade Article
Adrian Avgerinos"? And if you were on toyotacelicaonline, there's a half dozen similar threads. :ugh:

As for being new to message boards, I've only been doing it regularly since November. Mind you, I actually read those "welcome to the board" posts that advise people to search and tell you how to do it.

On the conversion front from 4-lug to 5-lub, your simplest solution would probably be to source everything from the knuckles out off a donor 90-93 GTS or 94-99 GT. That would require new wheels -- and therefore you'd need to switch the front axle assemblies as well. If you're going to do that, try to get the 92+ brakes, as the fronts are noticably larger.

Alternately, diagrams of the ST drums and GTS disc setups show the axle hubs that actually mounts the backing plate onto the knuckle is the same between 4-lug and 5-lug axle assemblies, with the axle shaft providing the different fitment. Therefore it should be possible to remove the drum setup, mount the backing plate and the rest of the disc setup onto the existing axle carriers, then mount the axle assemblies. That would make things more complicated, as you'd need to find 269mm solid rotors to fit a four-lug setup. Brembo, at least, doesn't carry any.

On the Corolla front -- not an area of expertise. Have you checked any Corolla boards to see if they've swapped Celica brakes onto their cars, or vice versa?

I enjoy being able to give back to the community -- it's only fair I answer questions when other people have answered mine. All I ask is that the preliminary research be done first so time and bandwidth aren't wasted on questions already answered.

david in germany
02-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Galcobar and David, I did do a search and did not find anything, so stop jumping down me throat if you don't even know whether I did or not. It may be that I suck at searching, but I did look. I eventually found something on ToyotaCelicaOnline.com. And it didn't even cover the whole 4-lug thing. Calm down some and don't get all pissy over it. I'm a newb to any kind of message board, and I don't really care for whiney ass people.

Reread my post and you will see that I was not saying anything aginst you. I made a comment to Galcobar that I felt he was too harsh on his comment I also explained his point. Please calm down.

Galcobar that is good info about the models for the parts source!

Mike431635
02-19-2005, 07:54 AM
You can get the hub and spindle, etc from a GT or GTS and convert the whole thing over to 5-lug. You obviously will need to purchase 5 lug wheels though. Don't know if you want to spend that kind of money.

david in germany
02-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Were there any of the 4th generations that had 4 disks and 4 lugs patterns? That may be his best bet.

90CelicaST
02-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the help you guys. Sorry I was bitching earlier about what people were saying. As for the topic itself, if I do this I guess I will convert to five lug, unless someone finds 4 lug rear disks. But, again, thanks for the help.

carlosfandango
02-20-2005, 05:44 AM
i just dont understand why a 182 celica ever had drum brakes.

Galcobar
02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
I don't think the 182 ever did -- just the AT 180 (90-93 ST) and ST 184 (90-93 GT). But then again, those models got the weaker engines to go with the drums.

slvrblt
02-20-2005, 01:18 PM
the 90-93 gt and gts both had the same motor, making the same power but the gts came with rear disks.

90CelicaST
05-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Okay, so I'm gearing up to actually do this. Would it be best to find a junk 4th or 5th gen GT-S and use the hubs and spindles like Mike suggested? Getting 5 lug wheels aren't a problem right now, I have a set of 4th Gen GT-S wheels sitting around.
Edit: Also, I am planning a 3SGTE swap in the distant future(1-2 years), will this be a problem with the axles I will have to use for the 3S(w/ MR2 Turbo tranny)?