PDA

View Full Version : my intro, or something to that effect ;)

peakofdominance
12-02-2007, 07:10 PM
names robert. i live in san antonio. i aquired my 88 celica GT convertible for the mere price of 1000$. considering that everything works, no oil/coolant leaks (well the dizzy gasket needed to be replaced), no mechanical problems (aside from buttons sticking), no real cosmetic problems (the rear plastic window is hella old and cracked on me), just an all around daily.

that wont last long.

already i know im going to swap the engine for a 3s-gte since i found out itll bolt right up. however, i need to source the transmission, since mine will work w/ modifications (dont really wanna modify it). i learned that the S53 or S54 transmission from a later celica model would be better/easier to swap in.

please, correct me if im wrong, i dont want to buy the wrong part and find out that its the wrong part when swap time comes.

right now, the car is auto. it SUCKS! ive never owned an auto car before, even though ive driven plenty of them. even this engine puts out almost as much hp as my integra LS did, the auto causes power loss moreso than a 5speed tranny does, so she doesnt feel like she has much pep.

anywho, the only plans i have right now for the car, are, get that frickin 3sfe engine out, swap in a 3s-gte engine w/ S53 or S54 transmission and call it a day for now.

bolt-ons will be added as i find parts, but for now, the main concern is swapping the engine out for a turbo one.

celicaGT90_05
12-02-2007, 07:18 PM
thats awesome man, are you plannin to swap it to manual? I gotta do the same to mine when I'm ready to swap in a 3SGTE. Anyway welcome to the site, this is a mostly friendly community lol

peakofdominance
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
most definatly! im not used to autos, only manuals. so, when i swap the engine, im swapping the tranny as well.

im hoping to get some pointers as well, such as what wiring harness will make the swap easier, if any suspension mods are needed, stuff like that.

Joeye27
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
hey whats up welcome to ctech i live in san antonio too, :thumbsdow

well seeing your previous post you said you were a honda/v-tak guy..the first thing is too get familiar with the celica first... celicas are a whole diiferent level espesially with a 3sgte turbo if your going to swap..i think its a little harder to swap a 3sgte then with any vtak... but good luck im sure you will fnd your answers here..

Hookecho
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
welcome. when you do swap the motor do me a favor and create a write up on your auto to manual tranny conversion. it would make for a valuable piece of info imo.

Cavanagh
12-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Welcome, and have a big write up when you swap. There are some things you should read up on first IMO Here is a link to a very helpful FI Section.http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20023

Murgatroy
12-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Good to see you found your way over here.

I forgot to mention as well that the 5-speed manual transmission from a 4th Gen will work too. Essentially any 5-speed from a 4th, 5th or 6th Gen Celica with a 3SFE or 5SFE will fit.

As I mentioned you could also use the transmission from the V6 Camry or Solara. I think it is an E153 or such, they are rated for higher power, thus making them a better option for longevity. There is also the MR2 transmission, but it requires the shifter linkage being modified. Both of these transmissions also require hybrid axles to work.

The 3SGTE swap is pretty straight forward. I personally have not completed it, but I hopefully will have within a few months time. I have a 4th Gen hatch with an angry monkey with a hammer living in the 3SFE. Soon there will be a happily force fed 3SGTE living in there.

Welcome to Celicatech. I am sure you will be happy here.

celicaGT90_05
12-02-2007, 10:24 PM
welcome. when you do swap the motor do me a favor and create a write up on your auto to manual tranny conversion. it would make for a valuable piece of info imo.

I'll try to contribute to it too when I do it, but it wont be for another year or so....depending, may be sooner if I get the money to buy a junker

peakofdominance
12-03-2007, 01:52 AM
nifty. ill be sure to take plenty of photos and documentation. nice to see another guy in SA as well.

peakofdominance
12-03-2007, 01:58 AM
hey whats up welcome to ctech i live in san antonio too, :thumbsdow

well seeing your previous post you said you were a honda/v-tak guy..the first thing is too get familiar with the celica first... celicas are a whole diiferent level espesially with a 3sgte turbo if your going to swap..i think its a little harder to swap a 3sgte then with any vtak... but good luck im sure you will fnd your answers here..

the h22 swap was pretty straight foreward. the only thing that was different was i had to use the prelude tranny mount, the rest were accord mounts.

the 3s-gte seems to be a direct bolt on, and i know i can source a newer tranny from a celica no problem.

im new to boost, though my accord had no2 on it... so yeah, any info you could give me (like a good mechanic who can do this swap) is appreciated.

peakofdominance
12-05-2007, 08:49 AM
so i h ave a question. i can get a 3s-gte turbo engine out of an 90-93 MR2 for 1600 shipped to my door. i can also get a 3s-gte turbo engine out of a 90-93 celica for 1700 shipped to my door. which one of these will swap into my 88 celica GT convertible easily? some people said that the tranny out of a later model celica will swap into my engine bay no problem w/ a 3s-gte engine.

*confused honda guy*

Murgatroy
12-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Go with the Celica motor.

If you get the MR2 3SGTE you will have to source all sorts of little parts, like waternecks, brackets and so forth.

The Celica 3SGTE will come with those parts, it will drop in.

Either motor will work, they are the same, however it is the accessories that will make or break you. The MR2 motor will take more time to get in as you have to hunt for all the Celica specific pieces.

Transmissions are where your choices become more plentiful. I think the 5-speed from a later model (90-99) GT or GT-S would be easier to come by. You would still need the pedal assembly from a 4th Gen. The shifter assembly is most likely the same. But I am assuming, this is based on the fact that I am running a Corolla shifter in my 4th Gen, but the guy I got it from was running it in his 5th Gen. Leading me to believe the assemblies are very similar, if not identical.

I haven't done an automatic to manual swap in a Celica before, but I have done it Mustangs. I have also gone the reverse order and swapped from manuals to automatics with other makes as well. It is the parts chasing that is hell. I highly suggest finding someone who has completed this exact swap (4th, 5th and 6th Gen chassis are identical) and discuss with them what parts where needed. It would save you a huge headache.

Cavanagh
12-05-2007, 06:08 PM
IF you are looking for someone to do the swap, hit up Dr. Tweak, phoenixtuning.com As for the transmission, if you get a 3sgte w/ trans, you will not be able to use the 4wd tranny. Although you can modify it to work, its better/easier just to get a 5sx transmission.

peakofdominance
12-05-2007, 11:43 PM
http://67.15.211.17/~jdmcusto/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_26&osCsid=b940081cccae30aee5adfb9c09a17331

thats where im probably going to order my engine from. can anyone give me pointers? they have 2 different 94-99 celica engines listed, ones 2100 and ones 1700, both come with tranny and turbo.

Murgatroy
12-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Those are 3rd Gen 3SGTEs, they are more expensive than the 2nd Gen (`90-`93) but they make more power. You can normally find 2nd Gen 3SGTEs for ~$1200. They all work, it is just the difference in wiring. There is more documentation for the 2nd Gen swap as it is more common, but the differences aren't huge as far as I know.

The tranny is of little to no use for you, so you can try to resell it to recoup some of your losses from the purchase.