PDA

View Full Version : My engine blew up =)

zmile06
12-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Not even going to go into details how it blew up, but it is dead threw the rod and it's gone.

My question is where should i get a new 4afe engine to throw into it? I just want something to put in there and run, i do not want to do an engine swap at this time i am soooo SOOOO worn out from other things i just want the car to run. Any ideas? Also how hard is it to pull and put a new engine in? BE HONEST.

Joeye27
12-02-2007, 06:06 AM
sorry to hear that! crazy you put a smiley face though??? good luck!

Maleek
12-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Well first things first, have you ever pulled an engine before? if you have, its pretty easy, if not....get some buddies who have, and make you have plenty and plenty and plenty of tools, and different sized sockets.. maybe somebody else could chime in

Hookecho
12-02-2007, 07:05 AM
ouch, that sucks!

Mr Celica
12-02-2007, 07:11 AM
shitty

grayscale
12-02-2007, 07:39 AM
meh, 4afe isn't too bad if your slightly familiar with engine pulls. most likely you will run into a lot of people trying to sell you a 7afe.

celicatrd93
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
been there done that.........swapped my 4afe and rebuilt it in 3-4 days. 4afe is pretty simple. if you never did it dont try it. would be a hassle. sorry to hear that. good luck though

Murgatroy
12-02-2007, 06:40 PM
If you have never done it before it is gonna be a pain. If you have a buddy who has swapped an engine before it is gonna be easy.

The 4AFE is pretty simple all in all. You might be looking at a day to pull and drop.

You will want lots of tools, a cherrypicker, new fluids and some patience.

Since you are going with another 4AFE, just find a same year motor from either a Celica, Corolla or Prism and go.

Cavanagh
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Ya Check out a junkyard or car-part.com

Ghosty
12-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Hate to say it, but you might be better off just selling this one for what you can and find a new car.

Yes, it's cheaper to drop in a newer motor. And yes, you'll be able to keep the celica. But it sounds like this is something you've never done before.

Unless you know people that have experience with this, and have the right tools, and the time to help you, just sell the thing before you damage it even more while taking the engine out.

Ricksta
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
i dont know what it is with these motors blowin up but its been happenin a lot lately. my 7afe threw a rod not too long ago. this whole ordeal has cost me a thousand dollars or so and im not happy about it. i had no warning whatsoever it just went. its the damn oil pump in these things. every 100k it needs to be replaced they seem to be going bad left and right.

Shadowlife25
12-02-2007, 10:52 PM
If you have a 4afe ready to drop in (they can be had for about $300-400 with low miles)
you'll need a cherry-picker, an engine stand, a set of tools (metric sockets and wrenches) receptacles to drain the fluids, and a place to do it (garage being ideal)
Oh, lots of Brakleen and PB Blaster. (big time savers)

From start to finish with a 4afe engine, it should take about 8-10 hours doing it by yourself. So basically, plan for a weekend. It's nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. Don't forget we have the BGB on the main page as well if you get stuck at any point.

-Mario

Ajilon
12-03-2007, 12:33 AM
It's not that bad. To pull and drop, all you need is a cherry picker and an old tire or 2 (without rim please) to rest the motor on. We pulled and dropped mine in about 6 hours flat. You will need lots of metric tools and some PB blaster though. You may want to keep a few other tools around to give you something to throw when things just don't go as smooth as expected.

85gtsblackman
12-03-2007, 12:51 AM
hey wait a minute folks

i pulled my 4afe when i had my stx based on common sense and a crappy hanes book

when u pull the motor label and uplug everything, put bolts in ziplock bags

wanna make it really easy to pull? take the intake and exaust manifolds off and pull the starter

then u will see how extreamly simple it is

ive pulled the engine in a few hours and put one in in less time, my second go round i got the motor in and out in less than 2 hours, thats without air tools

still aint as easy as a 3rd gen though :wiggle:

speaking of which

NOW ITS THE PERFECT TIME TO BUY A 84-85 CELICA GTS HATCH DOOOOO ITTTT

my friend just built up a 4a with mods i can get info from him to see what he did during his rebuild and let u know

Ghosty
12-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Wasn't trying to be fatalist or anything, or imply that this is a very hard feat or he couldn't do it, but just playing it safe.

If he should break something or hurt himself in the process, I would feel bad about suggesting he try.

85gtsblackman
12-03-2007, 02:06 AM
DISCLAIMER: NOT RESOPSNSIBLE FOR INJURY, DEATH, LOSS OF LIMBS, BROKEN PARTS AND VEHICULAR ISSUES.

zmile06
12-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Haha guys thanks for the feedback! I've pulled 2 engines but both were 4+ years ago, on a ford tempo and some other ford i think a taurus? Anyways those were probable worse then the celica will be the taurus had to be pulled with the transmission.

My friend on a local web site is going to help me do it. I actually didn't know him until i posted up on a local car website and he offered to help right away, his uncle owns a junk yard so he might be able to find me an engine too! He has an engine stand and engine hoist already. And i will also have my dad and brothers helping out. My dad has done a ton of engine drops and my brothers have been there with me during the other ones. So it should be easy actually. The guy who is helping me has done multiple engine drops and labels EVERYTHING. has owned a 90 celica and replaced the transmission on it.

I would prefer to do the engine replacement myself just so i would learn more, but oh well. I will just have to pay attention this time around.

What i would like to know though is what i should i replace on the engine before i drop it in? How hard is it to replace the head gasket while it is out? What gaskets should i replace before dropping it in? I would really like to replace the rings on the engine before i drop it just because those do tend to wear face on the 4afe. But i'm not even sure how much trouble that would be.

The goal is just to get it running but i would like to have it running without any oil leaks or problems.

The plan is getting it running and then buying a back up car so i can work on my celica.

I also need to look into the transmission i'm not sure if it's behaving right or not it won' t kick into over drive until it heats up, could that be the transmission wearing out or just old tranny or crappy engine?

Could it be possible the engine took out the tranny during the break down how would i check that? Anyways thanks for the info guys.

Murgatroy
12-03-2007, 03:27 AM
I wouldn't touch the new engine's internals to be honest. If you are going to re-ring it you are better off just rebuilding your old engine.

I would change the timing belt and all other belts and so forth and drop a fresher engine in.

Ghosty
12-03-2007, 03:29 AM
DISCLAIMER: NOT RESOPSNSIBLE FOR INJURY, DEATH, LOSS OF LIMBS, BROKEN PARTS AND VEHICULAR ISSUES.

Nice warning! :bigthumbu hehe

considering your past experience, zsmile, much like 85GTS said, it should be a snap. Get the Haynes manual or something similar. Should be relatively simple.

With your other concerns, zsmile - I'd rebuild the whole new engine if I had the time :) At least thoroughly inspect the engine for any major issues. When the engine is out is a perfect time for a timing belt change!!!

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
12-03-2007, 07:14 AM
yo joe, is the guy you know who recently rebuilt a 4AFE currently living/working in Gainesville Florida?...because thats where i live and i have been talking to this guy that found me here on celicatech and lives/works in gville but is from jax and has parts there for a 4AFE for me and what not...just wondering if i know who you are talking about......on the flip side...i hope this isnt foreshadowing for my engine...knocking is still going on due to oil loss so hopefully the problem will be fixed soon...

Žusty
12-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Is it me or do you sound glad you blew it up?

85gtsblackman
12-03-2007, 11:31 AM
yo joe, is the guy you know who recently rebuilt a 4AFE currently living/working in Gainesville Florida?...because thats where i live and i have been talking to this guy that found me here on celicatech and lives/works in gville but is from jax and has parts there for a 4AFE for me and what not...just wondering if i know who you are talking about......on the flip side...i hope this isnt foreshadowing for my engine...knocking is still going on due to oil loss so hopefully the problem will be fixed soon...

yes that would be scott

zsmell06......as far as replacing stuff on used motor, heres a list

cam seal
crank(main) seals
dizzy o ring
all hoses
all belts
all vac lines
intake and exaust manifold gaskets
waterpump...forgot to do this on my 2nd 4afe....waterpump exploded
oil pan gasket
valve cover gasket/grommets
poly fill old motor mounts, if they havent snapped
thermostat
plugs/wires/dizzy cap/rotor button
inspect harmonic balancer......had one fall apart
inspect key way on crankshaft......THIS IS EXTREAMLY IMPORTANT, dont ask
compression test engine
clutch assembly m/t and the lil shaft seal in trans, inspect clutch fork
trans shaft seal only if a/t....
injector o-rings and grommets
tb gasket
possible tps sensor.......pends on milage
injectors, again pend on milage
strait pipe from engine back.

think i got most everything

zmile06
12-04-2007, 03:40 AM
yeah im actually planning on replacing all gaskets including the head gasket. The water pump i'm going to repalce too since it tends to go bad in the 4afe for some reason not sure why.

The timing belt i'm honestly not sure, because it only has 110k miles on it i think the 4afe says replace at 150k? I'm not sure. I haven't replaced a timing belt EVER but i heard it was a huge pain in the ass to get it right.

turbo4ag
12-04-2007, 04:13 AM
4AFEs are cheap and very adundant. And they are all the same meaning you wont have to worry about different sensors matching up, etc..

Get a good condition used one, swap it in over the weekend, and go back to driving. You can usually get a used longblock for $300-500. Dont worry about rebuilding, etc... It takes too much time to do properly. Get a new waterpump & exhaust manifold gasket, otherwise just make sure you get a 30 day warranty and swap it in.

Cavanagh
12-04-2007, 04:36 AM
I kinda do want to know how you blew your 4afe up. :)

zmile06
12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Haha story is i was going around 70 in third gear, the transmission wasn't turning over to over drive until it heats up apparently was happening the last couple days. Something flew off my car an my car dropped 20 mph in like 5 seconds, and i was driving it to a safe curb when my car literally just turned off and died. I knew the engine was dead when that happened. I might of driven it too far when something on it flew off lol. There was a pinging noise coming from under the dash while this was going on. I'm guessing that was the engine knocking or something i dunno. Then when it blew smoke came EVERYWHERE interior hood everything.

I'm replacing all the gaskets including head gasket timing belt water pump etc. The engine only has 110k miles on it! woohoo! No valve cover leak even! Only thing that has me worried about the whole engine is changing the timing belt even though it's out it's really complicated.

85gtsblackman
12-05-2007, 06:03 AM
4a t belt is easy

Cavanagh
12-05-2007, 06:28 AM
lol thats crazy! Hopefully you can get her fixed up.

Murgatroy
12-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Timing belt on a 4AFE is easy. It took me about 4 hours, with the engine installed. Out of the car, it is an hour job at the tops.