PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

Maleek
12-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Anybody know whats recommended for 5sfe? I think my thermostat has bit the dust, because i cant seem to get any heat in, even long after the car has warmed up. And if anybody could post a pic of where it goes that'd be great

pitcelica
12-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Ok, if you want to change your thermostat, it's easy.

1-Look at the hose that come from the lower part of your radiator, this is is connected to the engine under the alternator.
2-Remove this hose and remove the 2 bolts that connect the thermostat housing to the engine (the thermostat housing is what connect to the previous hose your removed)

3- After, simply replace the old thermostat with the new one.

4- Reinstall eveything and put new coolant in your radiator

alltracman78
12-02-2007, 02:04 AM
They're nuts, not bolts, though sometimes the nut freezes on the stud and the whole thing comes out.

That's basically how you do it, I just want to add a couple of things.
-Keep in mind you're going to have to drain your coolant [at least part way, you can leave the bottom of the hose attached to the rad to save some time], so if you're do, you might want to do a coolant replacement at the same time.
-If the housing won't come off, tap it GENTLY.
-Clean both sides where the therm seal goes [rubber seal around the edge of the therm] good. There should be no white crap [corrosion] when you're done.
-When you install the new therm, take it out of the box and shake it. Part of it will rattle. This is the jiggle valve. Make sure the jiggle valve is facing the notch in the housing. This allows air bubbles past the therm when it's closed.

-Buy an OEM [Toyota] therm. Too many people have had problems buying aftermarket ones. The seal should come with it.

Maleek
12-02-2007, 02:09 AM
I bought a therm from partsource. came with the seals too, i hope that works out. And i just had my coolant replaced not more than a week ago, is it okay if i still reuse it?

alltracman78
12-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Yes

celicaGT90_05
12-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Ok, if you want to change your thermostat, it's easy.

1-Look at the hose that come from the lower part of your radiator, this is is connected to the engine under the alternator.
2-Remove this hose and remove the 2 bolts that connect the thermostat housing to the engine (the thermostat housing is what connect to the previous hose your removed)

3- After, simply replace the old thermostat with the new one.

4- Reinstall eveything and put new coolant in your radiator

I suggest draining the system before removing hoses

Maleek
12-02-2007, 08:44 PM
okay so i bought a new one, put it in, and now my idle surges from 1500 to 2000, and it has no constant. it just keeps doing it from i start it up to shut it off, could it just be an air pocket?

alltracman78
12-03-2007, 02:56 AM
You have a vacuum leak.
What did you remove?

celicaGT90_05
12-03-2007, 03:04 AM
an air pocket in the cooling system wont cause surging, but as alltracman suggested, a vacuum leak will. It is possible you busted a vacuum line, old ones are quite fragile. Plus, it is always good to let your car cool down and check to see if it needs any more coolant added, although the celicas do not require bleeding

slkspd
12-03-2007, 03:19 AM
okay so i bought a new one, put it in, and now my idle surges from 1500 to 2000, and it has no constant. it just keeps doing it from i start it up to shut it off, could it just be an air pocket?

Did that fix your heat problem?

Maleek
12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
tightened everything back up again and the idle problem went away:s ah well... and yes it did fix the heat problem, btw this is using a non oem thermostat

slkspd
12-04-2007, 07:46 AM
tightened everything back up again and the idle problem went away:s ah well... and yes it did fix the heat problem, btw this is using a non oem thermostat

what do you mean by non oem, like higher temp to open?

Maleek
12-04-2007, 08:37 PM
non oem , meaning that its not the one that the car came with from factory.

celicaGT90_05
12-04-2007, 09:08 PM
non-oem does not mean it came with the car from the factory, it means it passes the same tests that the original equipment was put through

Frenchy
01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone have a picture of where this housing is?

I like pictures, makes things easier for me... I can figure it out by reading, but I learn by visuals, or something...

Stupid college studies... hahaha

VikingJZ
01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
OEM fo sho-e-m.

The only third party mechanical equipment for a vehicle that I can trust is from CarQuest. I have had numerous problems with stuff from AutoZone and Advance. Generally, the local people that work at Advance or AutoZone are pretty incompetent when it comes to cars; especially imports. My in-town CQ has really knowledgeable guys running the joint.

T-spoon
01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
As a side-note of negligable importance, the Toyota t-stat doesn't come with the gasket, but if they stock the t-stat, they'll have the gasket too, and any parts guy worth anything will sell them together.