PDA

View Full Version : Frozen 4th gen Doors

thelaw604
11-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey there,

For those up here in the great white north and places with snow, have you ever had your doors frozen shut?

I went out all ready for work and my doors wouldn't open. My locks unlocked but the doors were frozen shut.

I think it has to do with the seals around the glass.

Any solutions?

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of parking in the garage as my parents' cars are in there :(.

Thanks!

StormyBklyn
11-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Remote start and keep the heater turned to "high" when you turn off the car?

Seriously, try to pull open the door gently. It's happened to me in the past, and the best thing to do is try and gently open the door, push in a bit and pull out. If it's a drop of ice sealing it shut, it might break the seal and let you open.

Slider
11-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Put Vaseline on the rubber seals

celicaGT90_05
11-27-2007, 07:13 PM

weather strips

Berg
11-27-2007, 07:57 PM

I did the vaseline thing a few years back and it worked, I just didn't like getting the stuff on my hands/gloves whenever I grabbed the window. My solution was plastic cling wrap. I just put that over the seal when I parked and it was fine. I did have to reapply it whenever I parked, but I was ok with that. One problem I had with my 4th gen was the headlights. After driving, the engine would warm up the hood and melt the snow the fell on it when parked. As the car sat parked the melted snow would refreeze and it rolled off the hood, right over the headlight. As such when I went out to drive the next day I couldn't get the headlights to flip up unless I used a hairdryer. So for winter I just left them up all the time. Just something to think about along the lines of things freezing on a fourth gen.

Cheers,
Berg

liplip
11-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Last week, my friend and his grandpa used boiling water on his car when the door was frozen shut.It was only a cavalier so i wasn't worried.

thelaw604
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM
All great suggestions. I didn't have time this morning to pinpoint exactly where it was frozen but my best guess was at the windows and seals.

Wouldn't the headlight problem be mitigated if I just brush the snow off the hood? Plus we get at most 3inches of snow here in Vancouver ... for 3 days :D

Boiling water? What is there to be worried about?

celicaGT90_05
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
All great suggestions. I didn't have time this morning to pinpoint exactly where it was frozen but my best guess was at the windows and seals.

Wouldn't the headlight problem be mitigated if I just brush the snow off the hood? Plus we get at most 3inches of snow here in Vancouver ... for 3 days :D

Boiling water? What is there to be worried about?

the quick expansion from bringing something from cold to hot THAT quick can cause cracking and other damage. It isnt real likely to happen to metal, but things such as the weather strip can tear or crack, or things suck as the glass or plastic peices

thelaw604
11-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Ah yes, forgot about the glass cracking going from cold > hot.

Hmmmm... Sounds like either vaseline or plastic wrap!

Cavanagh
11-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Vaseline seems like it would work well, this happened to me last year, i was pulling so hard i thought i was going to rip my door handle off. It (celica) got snowed in so bad it took me an over an hour to get into it. :eek:

Berg
11-27-2007, 10:41 PM

That is one way of dealing with it. However there are two things to consider:
1. Using a snow brush on a car's body panels will put fine scratches in them.
2. After driving home late at night with is snowing you probably don't want to go back out and brush the snow off until morning.

As you live in Vancouver (nice place, visited it lots) this probably isn't a big concern for you. If it looks like its going to snow after you've driven somewhere just leave the headlights up if you're worried. I didn't read your info so I was just thinking that you were in a similar climate as me here in Calgary.

Cheers,
Berg

thelaw604
11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys.

The Celica now is really just a beater/learning car until I get enough money for a 5th gen, not too worried about the paint.

I'll keep the headlights thing in mind. Any other suggestions? I've always parked in the garage with my parents' cars so I'm a complete car noob.

mook
11-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Keeping the headlights up in such conditions is a reasonably well known cure for the lights, as is vaseline on the rubber seals. I never open/close the door by the window anyway and that would remove the risk of getting greased up. Unless that's your thing ;)

Berg
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I just have the habit of opening the door by the handle and then putting my hand on the top of the window as I step inside the car. I don't push or pull or put any weight on it... it's just one of those things I do without thinking :wiggle:

celicaGT90_05
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
what I do is if my doors are stuck, I pound on them to create a shock that will break loose whats frozen. It works and as long as you arent reigning hell down on your door you wont hurt anything. I tend to do that right behind and a little below the door handle

amx
11-29-2007, 02:57 AM
what I do is if my doors are stuck, I pound on them to create a shock that will break loose whats frozen. It works and as long as you arent reigning hell down on your door you wont hurt anything.

Second this. I give it a good body shove, and if that doesn't break it free, I whack it with my ass. Looks awesome to the neighbours, but always works. :laugh:

Someone earlier mentioned pouring water, and I don't think there's too much danger to the glass if you use cold water. I have no heat in my car, so that's how I've been clearing off my windshield in the mornings; been doing it for months with no problems.

Probably the easiest thing to do though is to get a cheapo car cover off of eBay (you can get one for about $30 shipped) and put it on the car overnight. It'll keep the moisture off, so the only thing that will freeze will be the cover. Then you just peel it off and drive away. :wiggle:

Mr Celica
11-29-2007, 03:10 AM
not true with the car cover. if the car has the least bit of moisture on it, it will freeze to the cover. brushing snow off of a cover is a bitch and a half, too.

just tug on the door if its frozen, if that doesn't work, give it a shove with your hip, if that doesn't work get the warm water. you don't need boiling water, that way you won't have to worry about cracking anything (which is unlikely unless you're dumping 5 gallons of boiling water onto your window).

celicaGT90_05
11-29-2007, 03:35 AM
I use the bottom of my fist, its firmer and has more of a pound to it. Using your hip is akward and theres a lot of cousion so you will be less likely to break it free. Last winter it was BITTER cold and I was still able to break my doors open with a couple firm pounds right below the handle

Rick89GTS
11-29-2007, 04:21 AM
Hey guys, take note:

VASELINE IS BAD FOR RUBBER SEALS.

It's petroleum based and breaks down rubber.
I use a silicone spray instead. It doesn't deteriorate rubber and not as messy as Vaseline.

I've also used lukewarm (not hot) water to free it up in emergencies. Just make sure to dry it off and spray silicone so it doesn't freeze shut again.

Mr Celica
11-30-2007, 02:13 AM
I use the bottom of my fist, its firmer and has more of a pound to it. Using your hip is akward and theres a lot of cousion so you will be less likely to break it free. Last winter it was BITTER cold and I was still able to break my doors open with a couple firm pounds right below the handle

i don't like denting my doors. lol

acidice333
11-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Damn Vancouver weather.. my windows were frozen so I couldn't power them down.. and it froze my power antenna.. now that I'm in Calgary, I have no problems except my power antenna

celicaGT90_05
11-30-2007, 03:49 AM
i don't like denting my doors. lol

I didnt say punch the hell out of your door. It wont dent your door to use the bottom of your fist, trust me its soft enough

Mr Celica
11-30-2007, 04:01 AM
i believe you. im just giving you a hard time. i don't drive my celica in the winter, so i won't have to beat on it. thats what the 4guzzler is for.

celicaGT90_05
11-30-2007, 04:05 AM
haha its ok I know some people will look at what I said and think what you said anyway. As for me, I will be driving the celica since my grand prix is down right now, which I would drive the celica even if the grand prix was running cuz the prix gets way too much attention, and its a load better on gas than my ranger

Berg
11-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Damn Vancouver weather.. my windows were frozen so I couldn't power them down.. and it froze my power antenna.. now that I'm in Calgary, I have no problems except my power antenna

Hey... Being in Calgary isn't so bad :lolhittin

acidice333
11-30-2007, 04:37 AM
Calgary is pretty cool compared to Fox Creek (: I've been up here for a couple days now haha.

Hey... Being in Calgary isn't so bad :lolhittin

Berg
11-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Calgary you have to worry about things freezing due to the Chinooks. It's like -30 on day and +10 the next, then back to freezing.

acidice333: did you move here or are you just visiting?

acidice333
11-30-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm just visiting.. should be back in Calgary tommorow.. maybe you'll spot my Celica, haha. pppsssstttttt... *hint* its parked in Hampshire :)

Calgary you have to worry about things freezing due to the Chinooks. It's like -30 on day and +10 the next.

acidice333: did you move here or are you just visiting?

thelaw604
11-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Calgary is better than Vancouver in the winter time? There's a first!

Anyways, thanks all for the suggestions. I found out today it was the windows that got stuck to the seals. I just took my keys and started separating it. It didn't take too long as it wasn't snow, just a bit of ice holding it shut. Either way, I made my brother park the 2002 EL outside while my 4th gen gets the garage :D. Seniority!